Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Commuting to Grays – Where to Live?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Good old Blackmore…it’s a favourite cycling club destination.

Loads of them at the cafe yesterday. Both the clubs local to me seem to use it as a stop on their rides.

porter_jamie

There’s a lovely pub called the viper near ingatestone which serves beer with bits in it but doesn’t serve fosters and so on so the chavs count is zero. Many cyclists on a warm summers day. There’s a bit of mtbing in the woods nearby too.

wait4me

Upminster might be worth checking out. More suburban, but it’s bikeable to Grays or a short train ride. Good access into London and good schools (including my old one), hence probably ludicrously expensive. Again have lots of friends and family there and they seem to like it. It’d be over my cold dead body that i’d ever go back mind, needs must though I guess.

Travis

Ro5ey, I can ride anywhere.
    Yes, school is important, hence why I am going to BnB it before I decide they come.
    It’s an MTB forum, bikes first. Even road ones.

The whole Essex, Kent area is very strange/new to me. It also doesn’t help that I’ve been out the country for some 14 years, and I’m sure, that things have changed.

Moving the family, is a big enough change, so getting the children into a nice school is important.

martinhutch

the viper near ingatestone

I’d forgotten about that place. Used to go there when I was at school.

lazybike
    Free Member

Loads of them at the cafe yesterday. Both the clubs local to me seem to use it as a stop on their rides.

I dread to think how many laps of that viper circuit I’ve done!

lazybike
    Free Member

Upminster might be worth checking out

If you can afford it then definitely worth a look, Cranham’s worth a look as well.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sure …. well look… if Cav can make north of Brentwood his base… anyone can right?

So road riding … you’ll not really find any south of A127, you’ll find some between the A127 and A12 and as much as you want north of the A12…. as long as you like flat to rolling… it’s nice but you never really get a proper view … 🙁

martinhutch

. if Cav can make north of Brentwood his base… anyone can right?

Getting out of the county as quick as possible has vastly improved his sprinting.

lazybike
    Free Member

Good access into London and good schools (including my old one)

I take it you went to Coopers then 🙂

wait4me

Bullseye Lazybike! Back in the last ice age it was about the only good school in da hood, but these days there is a bit more competition and think the lustre of the place has faded somewhat. Good shout though!

lazybike
    Free Member

it’s nice but you never really get a proper view …

There’s 1 or 2 out there waiting to take you by surprise..

lazybike
    Free Member

🙂 My nephew has just left..It’s still a decent school! Afraid it was Hall Mead for me.. 🙂

wait4me

Haha, snap. Niece just finished 6th. Small world.

And well done you for learning to read and write after leaving Hall Mead!

alpin
    Free Member

[QuoteThere’s] a lovely pub called the viper near ingatestone which serves beer with bits in it but doesn’t serve fosters and so on so the chavs count is zero. [/quote]

Yes. Nice 5 mile XC route from Chelmsford, but it’s nowhere near Grays….

Try also the Wheatsheaf in Writtle. A bit “local”,mind.

lazybike
    Free Member

And well done you for learning to read and write after leaving Hall Mead!

😆 nice one! I bet you went Oglethorpe as well!

retro83
    Free Member

Wheatsheaf and Viper are both nice. I also like the White Hart in Margaretting Tye, they usually have a decent selection of beers.

ETA: and The Hoop in Stock is nice, they hold quite a nice beer festival too.

alpin
    Free Member

Nice food in the White Hart.

Few decent pubs in Ingrave, too… The Old Dog.

@ OP look at Ingrave to live. Near to Brentwood, but not Brentwood and a commute to Grays wouldn’t be too painful and doable with the bike. Right next to Thorndon, too.

alpin
    Free Member

Yes the Hoop…!

wait4me

nice one! I bet you went Oglethorpe as well!

I’m actually a Hornchurch boy so your luck has run out lazybike. All a bit different now. Must confess I can’t wait to get home after a day or so back that way. Which probably doesn’t bode well for somebody from Malvern moving into the area, poor sod.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member

I live 6 miles North of Brentwood

I take it that’s somewhere around the Blackmore area. I’ve done a bit of cycling and walking round there and it is very nice. Lots of nice pubs as well. [/quote]

Yes, the next village Hook End, just one mile from Blackmore. As you say the cafe in Blackmore is very popular and has expanded in the last year or so to accommodate the myriad of cyclists who head there. We only use it in the Winter/Spring time because it is too near!

If you want a nice alternative which is relatively close try The Bakehouse which is just off the Blackmore Road towards Chelmsford

Bakehouse

forzafkawi
    Free Member

lazybike – Member

I dread to think how many laps of that viper circuit I’ve done!

I use that for my 2×20 interval workouts!

lazybike
    Free Member

I’m actually a Hornchurch boy so your luck has run out lazybike. All a bit different now. Must confess I can’t wait to get home after a day or so back that way. Which probably doesn’t bode well for somebody from Malvern moving into the area, poor sod.

If he can get the right spot he’ll be ok..mind you I’m in Sth Ockendon! Upminster’s like the promised land!

epicsteve
    Free Member

es, the next village Hook End, just one mile from Blackmore.

I’ve road biked through there – seems a nice area.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member

Yes, the next village Hook End, just one mile from Blackmore.

I’ve road biked through there – seems a nice area. [/quote]

It is nice and rural and lots of country roads with nice villages heading North especially. We have quite few destinations up to a 100 miles round trip quite regularly.

Where do you ride from to get out this way?

lazybike
    Free Member

If you want a nice alternative which is relatively close try The Bakehouse which is just off the Blackmore Road towards Chelmsford

Or the transport cafe at Norton Heath, or the cafe at Writtle nr the college, or the Green cafe at Dunmow, or the snug at High Easter, or Booking Hall cafe or the Blue Egg….club cycling….it’s all about the cafe stop.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Or the transport cafe at Norton Heath, or the cafe at Writtle nr the college, or the Green cafe at Dunmow, or the snug at High Easter, or Booking Hall cafe or the Blue Egg….club cycling….it’s all about the cafe stop.

The Blue Egg? That’s for Rapha wearing poseurs who just want to hang out with Mark or Alex! 😉

The transport cafe at Norton Heath – now you’re talking!

martinhutch

Bang on time, they’ve just done a feature on grammar vs state schools in South Essex on the BBC News at Six, interviewing the leader of Thurrock Council…

lazybike
    Free Member

The transport cafe at Norton Heath – now you’re talking!

That’s a midweek favourite of mine! If you want to bump into Jodie Marsh the cafe at White Roding is for you, she lives near by 🙂 The fruit farm a bit further north has a good cafe, shut in winter though. If you like a transport cafe Dee’s at Hatfield Peveral is worth a visit.

dogmatix

Hall mead sounds posh, I went to laindon high road, coughs… So I am afraid I can’t help you regarding goods schools. I can’t think of anywhere to ride either. I did used to ride on Langdon hills, but there are no real trails there. I haven’t been on it, but I have seen the Olympic course and it looks ok for the occasional leg stretch. Have heard other people say Epping is ok too. These chaps may know more… http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk

dogmatix
    cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Be prepared for the second proposed thames crossing going through Orsett or nearby ancient woodland sometime

Motorway coming through!

dogmatix

Some one may put me right, but I think the a128 isn’t a bad route to commute in on to Gray’s and should link up to the nicer places further north. Isn’t stock a nice place? Maybe expensive though.

lazybike
    Free Member

Hall mead sounds posh

It was your bog standard Essex comprehensive, it’s where you ended up if you failed your 11+….mind you if you’re comparing it to Laindon… 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

Some one may put me right, but I think the a128 isn’t a bad route to commute in on to Gray’s

Maybe by car..too much fast traffic for me on a bike.

porter_jamie

stock is very nice – couple of nice pubs there – the hoop has a beer festival and does ok food and there used to be a pub called the cock inn on back lane. plenty of carry on cock inn the hoop opportunities there. we would like to move somewhere like stock but dont have the eleventy million quid required they want for a house there

lazybike
    Free Member

Thinking about it, if Travis uses the A130/A13 (by car) he can look at Sth Woodham/Wickford/Hanningfield, some nice places out there.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Have you considered looking for a different job? You don’t say what you’ll be paid but any nice local villages you’ll be competing with city money etc. Have heard that the A127 is a nightmare for commuting, would expect A13 to be more of the same. Bulphan? Knew someone at college who lived there and it seemed OK. Parts of Benfleet are very nice but again expensive. Plus you can see Canvey but are not close enough to hit it with an RPG.

Wally

Local boy here too (and ex Coopers’ Company) A128 is an excellent fast route in from North of Bandit country (Anywhere south of A127). Good luck. Traffic is terrible if you are travelling into London morning and then out afternoon. So buy East of where you are working. A127 was 20 miles of solid traffic this evening from London.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Where do you ride from to get out this way?

I’m in Woodford Green – a lot of my road rides so far have been out into the area around Toot Hill, Chipping Ongar and Blackmore. Yesterday we did a walk from Mill Green to Blackmore (pint at the Leather Bottle) then back to the Cricketers for lunch and very nice it was to.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Commuting to Grays – Where to Live?’ is closed to new replies.