Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Commuting to Cheltenham routes
  • ste_t
    Free Member

Moving to Churchdown near Gloucester this weekend and planning on cycling as much as possible to work in Cheltenham, near the town hall.

What are the best options for cycle routes to get me there a) alive and b) fairly quickly on the way there but with options of detours on the way home? A couple of times per week I’ll need to be in work at 6.45am.

Presently have the choice between the road bike and the hardtail with slicks, so a variety of routes would be good!

mrmo
    Free Member

Depends where in Churchdown

First PLEASE DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THE A40 Golden Valley!!!!! There are probably more unpleasant and dangerous roads in the UK,but…

Obvious is the old Chelt Road, it isn’t that bad. and there is a bus lane from GCHQ most of the way into the town centre. That is the fast direct route.

Alternative, i know the out not the in, turn off down the Hatherley road, cut through the reddings, the round the back of staverton airport and into churchdown that way.

OR could stretch by aiming for shurdington and coming into chelt on the A46, but it is IMO not as nice a road as the old Gloucester Road.

Likewise you can stretch and head for Combbe hill and come on on the A38/Tewskesbury Road after cut through down hatherley at Bricklehampton Golf Course.

Apparently there is a cycle path somewhere around the airport.

Basically from Cheltenham to Gloucester, there are two sensible direct routes, and you live on one of them.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Mr MO has covered a lot of routes from the playing field in Churchdown over the railway bridge there is a cycle route under dualcarriage way to back of airport gets a bit mucky after rain then comes on road then goes back of road a bit use Bageworth lane and then cool pool lane into Cheltenham that way.
    I don’t like using the A38 from Coombe hill to Down Hatherley.
    When it drys out you could ride off-road back over Lecky Hill and down Greenway lane which is a nice stoney track dries out a few times a year.
    Which ever way you come into Cheltenham you will know your there the driving is crap and people will try and take you out believe me the driving is Shite.

ste_t
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys. My back garden backs on to those playing fields!

Judging from the car parks I can find online, driving isn’t really an option so riding needs to be the solution

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Commuting to Cheltenham routes’ is closed to new replies.