• This topic has 31 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Commuting: smart-ish breathable office shirts?
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I commuted by bike to school/uni/work for many years using the ‘hare’ commuting philosophy (ride a fast bike fairly fast, sweat buckets in proper kit, wash & change on arrival), 13 miles each way was approx 1 hr plus changing time.

Then I stopped commuting by bike, mainly because I got lazy, but also the practicalities of bike commuting (especially having to change) were getting to me.

So I’m now getting back into bike commuting by switching tactics to the ‘tortoise’ philosophy (ride a slow bike slowly, try not to sweat at all, no need to change). This is working for me. About 1.5h each way with no need to change.

I have smart water repellent office trousers from Spoke. They’re ace.

My problem seems to be finding smart-ish breathable office shirts. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

They need to be fairly smart ‘dress’ shirts with a collar. I don’t seem to be able to not sweat at all, even riding as slowly as humanely possible in winter. I’ve always run hot. I need something that will breathe and dry out quickly.

At the moment I’m using one of these:
    https://rab.equipment/uk/maverick-ls-shirt
    It is OK but getting more at a reasonable price seems to be a problem. The collar is very floppy and looks a bit rubbish. However, even the XL (I’m normally a medium) does not fit very well: I now have a 20kg pot belly and most outdoorsy kit is very slim fit. Trad box-cut office shirts fit much better. £40-60 a drop for something floppy that does not fit isn’t great.

I don’t seem to be able to find many other ‘outdoorsy’ breathable long sleeve collared shirts. Arc’teryx do some (I love their softshells) swish smart office commuting clobber, but Arc’teryx fit is even more stick-thin-and-very-tall fit, not suitable for pot-bellied bandy-legged trolls like me. They’re also a weird ‘hip length’ that you can’t tuck in. Complete non-starter.

I heard about SmartWeave/FreshMax shirts (http://www.smartweavestore.com/): they do not have ANY stock my size in a traditional cut (slim fit and even tailored fit need not apply). They’re also reputedly absolutely shocking in terms of customer service. Having investigated, my strong inclination is not to touch them with a bargepole … I get the impression the people that founded it have moved on/sold the IP on and now just want to wind it down.

Marks & Spencer used to do some SmartWeave/Dry Extreme/Dri-Guard ranges back in 2011/2012, but they all seem to be discontinued now.

There seem to be some merino options out there, but they’re ALL American-based companies, or make things out of corduroy/moleskin and charge heart-stoppingly astronomical prices (http://mcnairshirts.com/).

One thing I do mean to investigate is the wearing of a vest or layer underneath, to help manage excess moisture. I’ve heard that can help.

So, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions please? I’m stuck!

Mattbike

Have a look at Rohan. They do some good shirts with wicking and crease resisting properties as part of their travel range.

Rohan

angeldust
    Free Member

Sorry can’t help as I can’t imagine going slow enough that I would think it was acceptable to not wash and change before a day at work.
    Is it a completely flat route?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Mattbike: Good call, thanks 🙂

zilog6128

What about wearing a compression base layer underneath e.g. under armour to help manage the sweat?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What about wearing a compression base layer underneath e.g. under armour to help manage the sweat?

One thing I do mean to investigate is the wearing of a vest or layer underneath, to help manage excess moisture. I’ve heard that can help.

Not sure about a ‘compression’ layer, but it is def something I’ll look into, yes.

brassneck

I’d just carry the clothes and change – I had a nice big hill that more or less ruled out not sweating anyway. Dry shampoo and buzz cut hair dealt with the worst of it (though I had showers and usually made use of them).

Good base layers (merino or bamboo to allow non pongy reuse) really help with the cleanliness at the end if showering is not an option – but if you really are losing 30 mins by taking it steady the time to clean up is worth it.

zilog6128

it’ll need to be skin tight in order to work properly. Anything slightly baggy will just collect sweat & not wick. Something like UA compression heatgear… just don’t let anyone see you wearing it without a shirt on over the top 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not the effort that makes me sweat, it’s mostly the temperature change from moving air on the outside, to warm static inside!

But if I was looking for such a shirt, I’d be on Sport Pursuit – they have loads of brands Columbia, Tog24, Giro, Arcteryx, Supernatural… etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above if you’re thinking of wearing a baselayer and a shirt then that’s going to make you sweat more, the base layer will transfer sweat away from your skin so the shirt will get damp.

I wouldn’t ride 13 miles to work without having a wash though. If you wear a helmet your hair will be a bit stinky anyway.

I’d carry a shirt, or leave them at the office, and definitely have a wash on arrival.

iainc

rapha have your solution

I actually got one of these for Christmas, though I don’t commute by bike, and I didn’t choose it. I think it may actually have a purpose though !

aP
    Free Member

Odlo, Jack Wolfskin, Fjall Raven, Ortovox all make lightweight shirts which may work for you. Some of them are reasonably smart…

nedrapier

I’d stick to normal shirts and stick them in a Carradice SQL slim bag. you can still keep your trews on.

I’ve got a shorter commute these days and wear a normal shirt under a jacket, and thin softshell hiking trousers which are excellent all(/most) weather casual cycling trousers

When it gets warmer, and I’m wearing shorts, the jackets too warm, and there’s no way I’m riding with a dress shirt tucked into shorts, not for no-one. Or hanging out with a long tail. So the shirt goes in the bag and I’m onto T-shirts.

When I was doing a longer commute, 6 miles each way, the shirt was always in the bag – the above-mentioned SQR tour slim. Nothing on your back, shirt lies flat and the way you folded it, rather than crumpled at the bottom of a rucksack or pannier. bag does a passable impression of a mudguard too.

Still didn’t shower, but nicer to be able to change. More comfortable to ride in a tshirt than a shirt, anyway.

mattbee

I’ve got a few of the Rapha ones, although I don’t commute by bike they are pretty nice.

lunge

Sorry, but 13 miles each way needs at least a change of clothes and more than likely some kind of wash. I do the same journey each way and there’s no way I’d do that without washing when I arrive, no way at all.

Worst case, buy a bag, throw a shirt in there and have a wet-wipe and can of deodorant type wash.

Think of your work mates, they’ve got to sit with you all day.

molgrips
    Free Member

Halfway house between changing and riding in work gear – only change your shirt. A rolled up smart shirt hardly takes up any room in a bag, and just takes seconds to change in a normal toilet cubicle.

If you take it easy then it’ll be fine. Yes, you’ll sweat a bit, but the sweat will be wicked into your base layer and your work shirt will be clean and sweat-free. Just make sure you hang the base layer up somewhere it can air out or it’ll pong on the way home.

Remember some folk don’t sweat a lot, and some that do don’t smell much. A colleague of mine never has to wipe his riding glasses even on a hot day. Downside is that he has to wear loads of clothes when it drops below 20C.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Those of you worried about my colleagues and/or hair (WTF?) really do not need to worry, thanks though. I’ve done the ride hard/get changed thing for 16 years. I am specifically looking to move away from that, and the ride slow in breathable office gear experiment of the past month bears that out perfectly.

*inhales deeply* mmm, fresh as a daisy.

Morning shower, ride slow, wear clothes that dry quickly = no pong.

commander
    Free Member

Endura Urban shirt?
    now follows probably-not-working-link…..
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-urban-ls-shirt/
    I’ve a number of these and they are ace, I’ve ridden a lot in mine and rarely raise much of a sweat but if you do (I took two of them to Dubai for the week and all I did was sweat…) they dry out in no time and don’t pong.
    They say they are a slim fit but I’d argue different, and are a bit stretchy anyway.
    If you fancied I’ve two XL ones (prob 42-44 chest but I’m guessing, I’m a 40-41 chest and in a large) hardly worn, as I bought them for my lad but he never wears them. email in profile.

allthepies
    Free Member

13 miles is shower/wash and change of clothes job IMO.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I’ve done the hare and tortoise options but over a much shorter commute (<10km) in both summer and winter.
    Luckily I don’t need a dress shirt but I’ve settled on wearing a base layer and carrying whichever shirt/tee shirt I’ll be wearing the rest of the day rolled up in a frame bag.
    I’m usually first in the office so just swap tops at my desk and hang the base layer so it dries.
    I’ll wear the same shirt for the ride home so the base layer is only used once per day so can be used for a couple/several days (depending on how steamy I get commuting in)

markgraylish
    Free Member

Arc’teryx fit is even more stick-thin-and-very-tall fit, not suitable for pot-bellied bandy-legged trolls like me

LOL, if only that were true…as a stick thin,very tall person I’d be able to pick their factory outlet stuff really cheaply as I live about 6km away…sadly, their tops fit me like a marquee flapping in a force 10 gale…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

13 miles is shower/wash and change of clothes job IMO

And for 16 years that was my opinion too. Then my opinion changed 🙄

Just bought 5 shirts out of the Rohan sale, thanks all and to Mattbike in particular.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

ads678

Surely if you’re not sweating, changing into a smart shirt when you get to work will take all.of about 30 seconds. You could probably even do it whilst having a piss!

I’m not bothered if you don’t wash but surely wearing clothes on a bike for 13 miles makes them mucky??

DezB
    Free Member

To summarize this thread in a picture

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

😆

I didn’t know we’d met Dez.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Those of you worried about my colleagues and/or hair (WTF?) really do not need to worry, thanks though

I don’t think anyone is worried about your colleagues, why would we be? But riding 13 miles then wearing the sames clothes, means that without a wash, you will be a bit smelly. You might not notice or care though. If you wear a helmet your hair will also smell a bit.

Also if the road is in the slightest bit damp then even with full guards you will get some spray on your trousers.

jonnyboi

One of my staff tried this, as they couldn’t cycle to work and have a shower before their start time. I had to have a quiet word.

5lab

while it might be possible to ride in this time of year without sweating (I’m not sure it is, but whatever :)) It is a very different story when it gets to 20C+. I wouldn’t want to be the stinky guy in the office

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to be the stinky guy in the office

Then sweat into a base layer, and remove the base layer. Problem solved.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t know we’d met Dez.

It’s everyone else: “You don’t want to do it like that!” 😀

andyl
    Free Member
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Commuting: smart-ish breathable office shirts?’ is closed to new replies.