Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • commuting rear light
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

not for me though – something with a good bracket for the mrs she keeps loosing/breaking them including my cat eye holy grenade !! (somewhere on the slug road if you want to try looking as well)

looking at smart lunar or smart half watts – how waterproof are these ? bike has full guards on but is used in all weather. my memory of smart stuff is that they were pish against water ? have the brackets improved at all ? ill be suplimenting them with zipties this time im fed up replacing them and just getting a shrug when they get lost.

aye they anything like as bright as my red eyes ?

Saccades
    Free Member

My smart 1W thing is just coming into it’s 2nd winter and so far has been great.

It’s sited 1/2 up the seatstay on the RHS so it misses all the muck and spray and in in line of sight of drivers.

I cycle pitch black country roads and other people coming into work have often commented on how far away they can see me, I use the mega flare thing on flash and the small commuting LEDS on constant to comply with the highway code.

Don’t think the brackets have changed much as it’s interchangeable with an old smart rear commuting light I have from back in the day (and still works fine).

HTH

jamiep
    Free Member

smart lunar R1 is proper bright but waterproofness is questionable – easily sorted with a bit of tape

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

looking at smart lunar or smart half watts – how waterproof are these

my smart lunar failed at the first sight of water.

Using a flare now on one bike, gekko and fibre flare on commuter.

binners

I’ve used Smart Lunars for the last two winters in possibly the wettest place in the world with no mudguards (I’m nails, me!) and no problems

Much cheapness at On One at the moment

bails

Just put a bit of grease/vaseline on the rubber seal and the Smart lights are fine.

The brackets are good IME too. The R2 looks very good, I saw one whilst driving. It was reflecting off the wet road, underneath the pickup in front of me, so I knew the bike was there before I could directly see it. I’m kind of hoping my 1/2 watt will die so I can buy an R2!

snakebite
    Free Member

Got one of these last week for the roadbike rear stay. its superbly bright and clips on pretty much anywhere. http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=2&pt=117&pg=7751. impressed with its brightness as are my fellow commuters!

P7Pro

I’ve been running two Exposure Flare rear lights. One under the saddle with a saddle rail bracket and the other on my helmet with an Exposure Flash front light bracket.

They’re very bright in flash mode and cars seem to give me more room than with previous bright lights that I’ve used.

rewski
    Free Member

Another vote for Exposure Flash/Flare combo, always being stopped by other riders asking me what they are.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i want lights that dont cost the earth – as i bet my bottom dollar they wont be taken off the bike at tesco etc – shiny bling like USE will be lifted at thye first opportunity….

i should add the bike does already have a ree light bolted on but thats a back up flash system.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moon Shield 60 is my pick of the moment. It’s the only light I’ve used where other road users have asked me to turn it down! 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Blackburn Mars 4. c£20. Good life from 2xAAA batteries. Very bright and visible. Solid braket. Small and unobtrusive on the bike.

I thought I’d lost mine and bought another immediately.

rewski
    Free Member

exposure flash/flare pop off and small enough to put in your pocket, rechargable too.

BigEls
    Free Member

I had a Vistalite Ellipse rear light. Just gone wrong after 10 years. Do they still make them. It was only about a tenner.
    The exposure ones sound nice but they are about 35 quid right?

I also want one I can leave on so it pikey proof and just be bright when flashing.

Saw some silicone rear flashing ones on ebay which looked nice but they were from Hong Kong so dubious…

Any other recommendations?

neninja
    Free Member

I’ll be getting a Bontrager Flare 3 when one of my current lights packs in.

Seriously bright and good side visibility.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    It’s the only light I’ve used where other road users have asked me to turn it down!

I’m unconvinced that this is a good thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the silicone ones have never proven them selves to be bright.

“I also want one I can leave on so it pikey proof and just be bright when flashing.”

this is pretty much waht i desire – off to look at the bonty flares now

pdw
    Free Member

+1 for Moon Shield 60.

Smart Lunar R1s are good, but waterproofing is an issue. Had two on my fully mudguarded commuter in all weather last winter and had no trouble, but every time I’ve used them in the wet on a bike without mudguards they’ve failed. On the plus side, they have a good range of mounting options.

drlex
    Free Member

Only “leave on” lights worth having are dynamo ones; current battery-powered LED ones like the Moon Shield are small enough to trouser yet decent enough for unlit use – don’t miss the days of the NeverReady bricks with their feeble glow from twin D cells.

Aidy
    Free Member

Quite like the RSP Astrum that I’ve just bought – but haven’t had it long enough to know how it’ll hold up.

Seem to kill a surprising number of rear lights.

TiRed

B and M. Bolt to a rack, and change the batteries when needed. I also have a Cateye 1W LED for pulsing/flashing duties.

You don’t take your car rear lights with you when you park 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

For bolting onto a rack, the RSP Tourlite is good. Pretty bright, and has a nice big reflector, and decent side visibility.

grim168
    Free Member

I use a magicshine rear from deal extreme. Super bright and a spare battery for front when offroading

martymac

@ grim 168, linky?

martymac

cheers bro, think i may put that on the xmas list.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I had a Vistalite Ellipse rear light. Just gone wrong after 10 years. Do they still make them. It was only about a tenner.

We had a few of those but they stopped making them years ago. My last one (an eBay purchase long after discontinued) is now a backup light with 1 failed LED. Still more visible than many current lights.

Only “leave on” lights worth having

One answer is superglue – glue up the bracket if it’s a no-tools job, and glue the light into the clip. On the Blackburn you could still get it open with a coin to change the batteries.

The thieving scum aren’t going to fight with it if it doesn’t come off straight away and when it stops working you take the bracket off with a knife.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘commuting rear light’ is closed to new replies.