Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Commuting on busy roads. Thoughts?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Well yes if we need to discuss the use of the word “truth” in science you have a fair point. However my published and peer reviewed article trumps your opinion and provides data that suggests your hypothesis is incorrect.

😆 Fair enough. 🙂

I still have my ’60s Chevy to play though. 😉

How can you avoid using roads?
    We have the right to cycle where we want if other people choose to do this what can I say or do but accept it and deal with the situation without getting annoyed

Absolutely. My thoughts were though that the guy this morning (who was riding well in traffic) had other options available to him, which would prevent drivers getting annoyed. If he didn’t then it would be a different matter.

I’m not saying he was right or wrong, but really just seeing how people’s views lie.

Personally I would tag a mile or two on and avoid the road like the plague!

you mean take the train

Nah – plenty of disrespecting going on there… I used to commute into London. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

To be honest it’s pretty rare I see traffic held up by anything other than cyclists round here.

I’m utterly amazed that such a statement would appear on a cycling forum.

Even if there’s a queue of cars behind me it’s not me holding them up – I’m not the reason they can’t overtake: it’s the CARS coming the other way.

aa
    Free Member

I commute on the A50. A dual carrigeway. I feel seafer on that than on the parallel minor roads where folk drive at 70mph+ but the road is a LOT narrower.

My worst accident was on the cyclepath at the side of the dual (separate) when some **** knocked me off in his van. NOT on the road.

BoardinBob

I purposely avoid busy roads and take a windier, slower route to work. Two main reasons for this:

a) I’ve got a 34/15 SS setup and I’ll spin out on the flat at about 16-17mph. This will piss off the traffic I’m holding up, even though I’ve every right to be there

b) Because drivers are pissed off, they’ll be trying to squeeze past on a busy, narrow, potholed road, and I’ll be at a higher risk of being knocked off

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is straight so I would be happy to ride from what little i have seen – page not loading well here. It would depend on the other options for me tbh. If there was suitable alternative I probably would.
    IME single lane narrow back roads are more dangerous due to blind bends and 60 mph speed limits – often used by boy racers to avoid amain orads whislt driving like they ar in a rally. I am no fan of those tbh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Apologies drunkyard I did ont mean to imply that you would ever throw a snowball at a cat and/or take a picture of it.

ourmaninthenorth

What binners said.

My current commute takes in urban roads, suburban roads, segregated and non-segregated cycle lanes, rural roads up to NSL and a major trunk road.

The place I feel least safe is the trunk road and so I take a slight detour to avoid as much of it as I can.

The place that I cause the biggest problem to cars is riding over a toll bridge. (1) I jump the queue (2) there isn’t enough room to pass me on the way up or down. Most are patient, some are idiots.

If I move house, my commute will be 25 miles each way along unfamiliar roads, and plenty of unlit NSL roads. It will take a while to perfect the ideal (or best compromised) route.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Interesting that we are having this debate at all.

If I’m working in the centre of Bristol I have the option of the traffic free Bristol Bath Railway Path – meandering 17 miles or 14 miles on A4 (not that narrow, mix of NSL DC, 30, 40).

Very rarely I use the A4 (normally when I’m late and it’s daylight etC). However there are plenty of folk who do and I’d uphold their right everytime. I’d have cheered this guy for being brave enough to uphold our rights!

It’s interesting too that you think they’ve “held the traffic up”. In the case of my commute, yes there may be a queue behind the cyclist but all people are ‘speeding by’ is doing is getting to the back of the next queue quicker. Door to door over the whole 14 miles it’s quicker by bike.

I can see a worrying trend here. Ok a different case (not many people commute by horseback!) but there are a number of roads round here that people used to be able to horse ride on that have been made unrideable by the actions of motorists. As already said, it is not the cyclist who is being dangerous it’s the actions of a minority of motorists.

If you feel you have to avoid these roads at certain times, how long before you are forced to avoid thses roads at certain times?

BoardinBob

It’s interesting too that you think they’ve “held the traffic up”. In the case of my commute, yes there may be a queue behind the cyclist but all people are ‘speeding by’ is doing is getting to the back of the next queue quicker. Door to door over the whole 14 miles it’s quicker by bike.

I know that, but mr angry car driver doesn’t, hence his rage

samuri
    Free Member

To be honest it’s pretty rare I see traffic held up by anything other than cyclists round here.

I’m a bit sad seeing this coming from a cyclist.

Traffic jams, of which there are lots, and they’re everywhere, are caused by cars, lorries, buses, vans, you name it. The only thing these things are not caused by is cyclists. I’ve even had people shouting at me in traffic jams when I cycle between the solid lanes of traffic, peresumably because they’re frustrated that I’m making progress and they’re not but the answer to any argument of that nature is always the same, ‘You’re being held up by cars, not bikes’.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If you feel you have to avoid these roads at certain times, how long before you are forced to avoid thses roads at certain times?

It’s a good point and I certainly don’t have an answer. Fortunately most of the roads that run near the above are 40 limits (but obviously there are people who don’t stick to that). They are also narrow, so yes, speeding traffic on them is dangerous, when it happens. However, traffic is a lot lighter and the riding is far more pleasant. Another point is on the quieter roads there is a lot less going on, and consequently a lot less to distract both riders and drivers. Finally, when a car does encounter a cyclist, there is less pressure and more opportunity to pass safely.

I think “holding up” traffic is also unfair, although the rider in today’s instance was causing a short car/lorry tailback on said road (hence me starting this thread).

I know that, but mr angry car driver doesn’t, hence his rage

I think mr. Angry Car Driver has a sneaking suspicion, which probably winds him up even more. 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’ve even had people shouting at me in traffic jams when I cycle between the solid lanes of traffic, presumably because they’re frustrated that I’m making progress and they’re not

Exactly, £30 000+ of car being overtaken by a bicycle is always going to do that to a certain type of motorist 👿

If tin can commuters could only get their heads around the fact that their car is a fossil fuelled mobilty aid not a personality compensator then things may get a bit better….

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Commuting on busy roads. Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.