• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Commuting on a ladies bike
  • robland
    Free Member

Just been given a ladies focus wasgo bike thinking about using it for commuting but the other half says I’ll look daft what do you lot think ?

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks fine to me

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Bikes do not have a gender. If it fits you, ride it. Looks fine to me too.

aj87
    Free Member

If it fits who cares? Edited to add having seen the photo above it just looks like a normal hybrid commuter to me. Perhaps budget for having to replace the saddle if it doesn’t fit your bits but other than that have at it.

legend
    Free Member

All the wolf-whistles will be a lovely start to the day! 😉

robland
    Free Member

Shermer it’s the ladies version of that one would you still use it then?

Esme
    Free Member

She’s right. You’d better wear a skirt, then you won’t look silly.

shermer75
    Free Member

You mean it has a step thru frame? I see loads of guys commuting on that kind of stuff, Dutch style innit

robland
    Free Member

Shermer 75 yes it has a step through frame also it has a 8 speed hub gears every thing else is the same as the photo you put on .

Klunk
    Free Member

there is a vanity solution…. the cardboard insert in the christmas turkey foil…..

might even get you on gcn hack/bodge of the week 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Hub gears are great!

giantalkali
    Free Member

Nobody will give a shit, ride it. The number of chavs I see on girls bikes outnumbers the number of girls I see on girls bikes.

robland
    Free Member

Klunk that’s not a bad idea

the00
    Free Member

You are not the bike you ride to work.
    Choose life.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I spent years riding around London on a 1980s Raleigh Cameo. Perfect tool for the job. 😀

akira

Bobbin Bramble gets used when its very wet as it has full guards. Obviously ive put some Bontrager wheels on it, xtr shifter, x0 cassette, tiagra brakes and some dx pedals. Fairly nippy now but looks like old lady bike to the bystander.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ditch the ladies saddle and the purple grips with tassels and you will be fine, if it fits. I was using mrsgoat’s Saracen Zena after my Saracen Pylon8 developed a critical seat post crack, until it was nicked part way through a food shop.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Ditch the ladies saddle

😉

ransos
    Free Member

I rode my wife’s bike for a couple of miles recently, the saddle was excruciating. So yeah, fit a men’s saddle.

zilog6128

I spent years riding around London on a 1980s Raleigh Cameo.

I have acquired a similar vintage Raleigh Ebony which I suppose I should do up at some point although I really have no idea what I’m going to do with it! (I’d ride it though if I didn’t already have a road bike!)

white101

My wife commutes on a blokes bike and doesn’t have an issue if that helps at all.

Bez

Step through frames are fine, no need to be insecure about your sexuality because of them. One of the things I like about my Brompton is being able to step through and not having to sling a leg over the back.

aP
    Free Member

Step through frames are fine, no need to be insecure about your sexuality because of them. One of the things I like about my Brompton is being able to step through and not having to sling a leg over the back.

Yes, its great with a Brompton – until you forget when you’re riding a “safety bicycle” and step through the frame and into the ground in a tangled mess.

Bez

Yes. Also when you’re on the Brompton and you come to a stop and forget that you can’t straddle the bike and lean the top tube against your leg 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Bez – Member
    Yes. Also when you’re on the Brompton and you come to a stop and forget that you can’t straddle the bike and lean the top tube against your leg

I have done this so many times.

Also works in reverse when you forget you aren’t on your Brompton/Folder and you are on your mtb and you can’t step through the frame as you stop.

I favour the running dismount sometimes.

nedrapier

Step through frames are fine, no need to be insecure about your sexuality because of them.

Quite right. Some of them even come in quite manly colours.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I ride one of these:

Plenty of room for giant nuts to swing 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Doublepost. Doublenuts.

nixie

Nothing manly about that, just misguided. Yuk what a mess.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Commuting on a ladies bike’ is closed to new replies.