Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Commuting jacket that does not make me look like a council worker?
  • trailmax
    Free Member

I’m in search for a commuting jacket that is not a hi-viz yellow. There are a orange and green from Endura and Altura, but both are not suitable for rucksack wearer – they have a stupid light on a lower back, just where the backpack goes.

I’ve also checked a few other jackets in the shop and could not find anything that has enough reflective strips, but not yellow. Any suggestions?

The idea that I can walk about in the jacket, not just cycle in it.

midlifecrashes

Er, just wear a jacket you like.
    How about this? A Wang for H&M, suits you sir?

trailmax
    Free Member

nice one.
    How about visibility? slap a few reflective stickers on the side?
    But do I have to wear the slippers? do they come in spd-version??
    -)

soma_rich
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Hump ones, I have an Altura Night Vision like this:

Looks awesome in headlights and quite normal off the bike…

trailmax
    Free Member

Unfortunately NightVision only comes with a stupid light on the back which is a no-no for rucksack wearer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@soma – is that the “normal” one (ie not evo) and how breathable is it ?

midlifecrashes

Ah, sorry, visibility?

lunge

trailmax, have you thought about getting any jacket you like and putting a hi-viz cover on your rucksack? I would have thought that would give you more flexibility on your jacket and would give you a big reflective area in the middle of your back as well.

dragon
    Free Member

Just get an emergency packable waterproof and wear what you would normally. I just don’t get why commuters want to wear boil in the bag, sails, **** that. My Montane Velo windshell with DWR is my go to jacket if I need one.

Just got one of these new Sportful all weather roadie tops to try out for full winter use, but it’s not been cold enough yet.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I dont think its an evo one and mine doest have a light on the back, it is breathable but I only useally wear it on cold days…

dazh

Dyfi Active Shell

I’ve got one of these. Not waterproof but it ticks all the other boxes.

imnotverygood

You can take the light off, can’t you?

madeupname
    Free Member

My altura is a year old, but the light is easily removable (just ask my three year old where it is if you need it…).

No probs with rucksack or courier bag, but they do cover some of the reflectivy bits. So you need a nice reflectivy bag too.

trailmax
    Free Member

Lunge, I thought about it, but usual waterproof bag cover annoys me enough on off-road days. Can’t deal with that stuff on every day commute. And I’ve slapped enough big reflective stickers on the bag anyway.

Dragon, problem with commiting jackets – it gets messed up pretty easy with bike muck for some reason. I don’t want any of that on my expensive gore-tex. And the idea is to wear the jacket in town and don’t look like the one from pictures above. Roadie tops are not that bad, but that does not go with my understanding of “everyday clothing”.

zilog6128

I have a Night Vision jacket; took the light off & never used it.

Having said that, after 2 autumns/winters commuting with waterproofs last winter I saw the light and just wear my normal cycling stuff (extra layers if it’s cold). Managed all winter with just a decent base layer, winter jersey with a wind-proof gilet (fluro/reflective!) when I felt the need.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Pace and Bontrager both have done a bright red eVent jacket. I’ve got the bonty one and its superb.

Very visible, and not yellow.

trailmax
    Free Member

Imnotverygood – yes, you can take the light off, but current NightVision jackets have a pretty big metal ring where the light goes into. That will dig into my back. Previous years’ jackets did not have that and you could take the light out without any problems.

dragon
    Free Member

I just leave a normal jacket in work. I don’t think there is such a thing as a jacket that works for cycling and looks normal off it.

Use mudguards and your cycling kit should stay primarily yuk free IME of cycle commuting the last 2 years..

BigDummy
    Free Member

Vulpine are a bit pricey but “normal looking”.

Swvre is again expensive but a proper jacket-jacket.

I tend to think it’s possible to obsess too much about reflective stuff.

ton

don’t really understand specific cycling clothing items.
    I just wear a nice breathable waterproof.
    quechua forclaz 400 jacket. light stretchy pit zips, in a green colour.

zilog6128

They tend to be longer at the back and have a different cut due to the riding position which is not the same as walking/running. HTH.

GrahamS

I just wear a nice breathable waterproof.

Good cycle-specific stuff has a long tail to cover your arse, has reflective detailing, and is designed to sit well with your arms stretched out for the bars.

willyboy
    Free Member

I agree with ton. Unless your on a racer/don’t have mudguards or have a mega long commute, you don’t need a cycle specific jacket.

I just wear a reflective vest and have reflectives/light on my rucksack and a normal walking jacket with a hood.

ton

can I add, my waterproof, combat shorts and footy trainers have seen me through just short of 6000 miles commuting this year….. 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

BigDummy
    Vulpine are a bit pricey but “normal looking”.

Swvre is again expensive but a proper jacket-jacket.

£250 for a wax jacket to wear on the bike? Is this a London thing or what?

You could spend £150 on a great lightweight shell jacket to put over your regular clothes on your way to the art gallery/coffee shop / coolest gig.

GrahamS

you don’t need a cycle specific jacket.

Of course not. You could do it in your vest and pants if you really wanted, like PE when you forget your kit.

But if I am buying a buying a jacket specifically to use when I am cycling, then why would I not buy a cycle-specific jacket? 😕

I don’t really understand the objection to be honest.

zilog6128

normal walking jacket

What’s one of them then? Do you have different jackets for “normal” and “silly” walks? Can’t see the point myself 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bikeradar released some data a couple of years ago that showed that white is actually the most visible colour, more so than high viz. Just get a white jacket, if you’ve got mudguards you’ll be fine.

I ride in in either a white Shimano fleecy jersey or a black Craft waterproof. I have a mad bright rear light set on super strobe.

jimjam
    Free Member

Good cycle-specific stuff has a long tail to cover your arse, has reflective detailing, and is designed to sit well with your arms stretched out for the bars.

GrahamS

But if I am buying a buying a jacket specifically to use when I am cycling, then why would I not buy a cycle-specific jacket?

I don’t really understand the objection to be honest.

Good hiking/climbing/fell running jackets have longer sleeves for climbing, same as cycle specific jackets. They’re cut for mobility, have pit zips, helmet compatible hoods, quite often have high vis detailing…the only thing they lack is a drop tail, which, when you really think about your body position on the bike and how many times you’ve come back from a ride with a muddy shuck, isn’t really that important.

I’ve had my share of premium cycle specific jackets and I’ve come to the conclusion they are over priced and under performing compared to jackets from the likes of Montane, Mountain Equipment, Rab, Arcteryx etc.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Endura Flyte in red for me.

BadlyWiredDog

The idea that I can walk about in the jacket, not just cycle in it.

I would think that any jacket you wear for regular commuting is going to get so cacked up with use that you won’t really want to wear it for walking about in anyway. Why not just wear something cheap and bright on the bike and either carry or keep at work a nicer, cleaner jacket for the catwalk?

I suspect someone’s said that already, but it seems like a reasonable sort of compromise.

vincienup
    Free Member

I mix and Match to suit the weather.

I commute daily – including weather like today and floods.

Regular gear this time of year is Decathlon running tights and a winter longsleeve running top.

I always have my Howies Dyfi Enduro in the bottom of the bag in case of sudden rain.

When it’s obviously going to chuck down and blast like today, I have a bright orange Endura Nightvision that I lost the REMOVABLE light for. I open the two side vents and it isn’t boil in the bag when worn with a summer running vest.

Mountainbiking, I use Montane etc for jackets. Bike specific stuff us frequently overpriced rubbish by comparison to actual alpine kit.

I’m unclear what OP’s problem is, unless they wish to underline that the majority.of commuter specific riding gear is junk, which isn’t a bad shout but it’s only the first step to discovering that it’s OK to wear non bike stuff…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Cheapo ‘Surface’ (Charge) for me, or Montaine featherlight thing, or my Madison Road Race jacket, depending on which is clean.
    Then an Alpkit hi vis dry bag & as many lights as I can fasten to myself & the bike.

BigDummy
    Free Member

£250 for a wax jacket to wear on the bike? Is this a London thing or what?

This is just a sub-set of “I buy my clothes from Aldi and I look pretty fly” , or “Rapha OMG how much?” really, isn’t it?

It’s quite a lot to pay for a jacket. It also looks like it might last a while. I’m “post-London” personally though, and I didn’t buy a Swvre because they didn’t have one in my size. I’ve got a fluo-pink Rapha gilet though.

🙂

aP
    Free Member

Ah, I will mostly be cycling home in a rapha Raeburn jacket….

PrinceJohn

If you’re taking a rucksack commuting do what I do – wear ‘normal’ mtb kit/jacket as the weather requires & get a hump cover for your rucksack.

The rucksack cover means I still have plenty of hi-vizness even when I’m just rocking a t-shirt, the mistake a lot of people seem to make is rocking a hi-viz vest then hiding it beneath a rucksack.

trailmax
    Free Member

Right, a lot of discussion for this tiny topic. Thanks for all your opinions, all taken onboard.

Yes, the frustration is with plastic-baggines of commuting gear. I’ll look on hi-viz rucksack cover and will get a descent jacket remotely comfortable for cycling. I did like the way Hump jackets look, so there could be a combo -)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

My anecdote is this: I commute in all weather’s all year, these days in a slate grey dare to b that I retired from mtb duty. I used to wear a hi viz yellow endura one, run over twice both times by left turning traffic trying to accelerate round me from behind when lights went green, ruined jacket on the second occasion.
    Replaced with altura night vision, lasted about 18 months, one side swipe when traffic veered left to avoid a traffic island.
    Replaced with my old Hill walking waterproof (not high viz) another Hill walking jacket aafter that and now my grey one. Four years on the same route as before and no incident as yet. High viz didn’t fix the fact people don’t look and or don’t care so I now wear something comfortable instead of yellow.

Anecdote not statistic.

trailmax
    Free Member

Dangeourbrain that’s a poor luck with traffic! I don’t have this statistic despite of commuting for 10 years on Scottish roads, but my guess is better get noticed in advance.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Commuting jacket that does not make me look like a council worker?’ is closed to new replies.