Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • commuting jacket coat required.
  • jacob46
    Free Member

I would like a good quality jacket for all winter use.

Long at the back for wheel spray and good breathability.

I like Gore and castelli stuff but would be happy with cheaper brands if they work.

loddrik
    Free Member

Best winter bike jacket bar none IMO

I’ve got one, it’s brilliant.

1981miked
    Free Member

How long will this be deliberated over?

U decide on a bike yet? I ordered a Giant TCX SLR 2 at the weekend. Should be here tomorrow or Thursday.

jacob46
    Free Member

Lodrik, prefer something a bit more aerodinamic! That’s more like a Parker with hood.

amedias
    Free Member

Long at the back for wheel spray

mudguard?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I got a really good Polaris jacket last year that I’m really happy with – its got a clear (sealed) pocket in the back that you can put an LED into, which I thought was a good idea.

Waterproof, seems pretty long too (being a lanky git, thats a bonus) so soggy bottom can be avoided (but I’m using guards so not as much of an issue) .

aidso
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-hummvee-convertible-jacket/rp-prod112687

I bought one of these back in August and it feels like a solid purchase. The red is really striking and its a good neat fit on me. I just wear a normal-weight base-layer underneath and it has kept me warm so far around the 8 degrees.

jacob46
    Free Member

Breatheasy, have you a link please?

jacob46
    Free Member

How about dhb ?

1981miked
    Free Member

Nice bike that Giant Jacob.. I’ll be using it for winter riding when I can ride again, hopefully some touring next year, road use in the summer and some cx racing.. So basically everything.

Got a nice Cotic Soul hardtail for the mountains when I want to shred to gnaaaarrrrr.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mudguard?

Agreed. Winter + commute = mudguards. Proper mudguards, not clip ons.

jacob46
    Free Member

1981miked,

Do you think if the rain starts to do my head in I can fit sum kind of mudguard to it?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

jacob46 – the jacket is the Polaris Pulse but could be discontinued. Got mine from Wiggle and not there anymore. CRC have it in though in various colour/size combos

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d like to try analogy stuff but it’s cut for fat ramblers and at 700gm is going to be a sweat bag.

njee20
    Free Member

Mudguards and a softshell, if you’re wanting something fitted and thinking of Gore and Castelli (and don’t have ‘guards) I assume you’re riding relatively hard, in which case IMO they’re all too hot – just wear a good softshell and get rained on. I’ve got Assos 851s and a Gore Oxygen which are excellent. Think I’ve worn my Alp X waterproof twice in the last 3 years!

jacob46
    Free Member

njee20 have you got the gore II jacket?

daern
    Free Member

Endura’s customer service is excellent. They happily exchanged my 2 year old jacket which had developed a rip where the rear zip was. I just wish I’d requested a smaller size, as I’ve lost quite a bit of weight since I bought it. *sigh*

I love my Gore Alp-X (GT Active Shell) as it’s super light, waterproof and comfy. It has a nice fold-down flap at the back to keep your bum clean(ish) too. At the moment, I mostly ride in a Loffler Gore Windstopper that I picked up for £50 at Tx Maxx in the summer.

It must be said that I’m not a commuter, and this is what I wear for full day, off-road excursions.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a current Assos 851, an older 851 and one of these in ascending order of warmth! Got a Gore Phantom I wear on the MTB too, doesn’t have enough pockets to use on the road.

The Oxygen is excellent, very warm indeed, even when wet. Always just wear a base layer underneath.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t knock Loddrik’s Paramo suggestion. They may not be the most stylish of waterproofs, but of all the waterproof and breathable garments I’ve tried Paramo is the one I’d choose for a winter commute. The USP for me is that they are a nice, comfortable and breathable jacket even when there’s no rain, whereas most waterproofs I’d avoid unless I knew it was going to be wet.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like a big ol’ heavy jacket though?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For a winter commuting jacket why is lightweight and packable anywhere near the top of the priority list? The huge advantage of Paramo is that you can wear it on a dry and warm day and you will still be comfortable. Nothing comes close in terms of breathability in my experience of waterproofs.

I 100% get why people aren’t drawn to them. I was the same. Eventually I stopped ignoring the recommendations and tried one for myself and was thoroughly impressed.

Downsides? As with any waterproof jacket, to get the most out of it, you have to keep it clean and reproof it from time to time. That puts me off using it for muddy night rides where I prefer to use a windproof that I know I can just fling in the washing machine without worrying about reproofing every so often.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member

For a winter commuting jacket why is lightweight and packable anywhere near the top of the priority list?

Even in Scotch winter all I need is a 500gm softshell over a T shirt, that’s going to be way too much, so I need something lighter.

doris5000

The USP for me is that they are a nice, comfortable and breathable jacket even when there’s no rain, whereas most waterproofs I’d avoid unless I knew it was going to be wet.

even if it was really cold? why so? still too sweaty?

sorry if it’s a dumb Q. just trying to sus things out before i splash too much cash…

njee20
    Free Member

For a winter commuting jacket why is lightweight and packable anywhere near the top of the priority list?

Because the OP is looking for something fitted, and looking at premium brands, so I’m guessing (possibly wrongly) that he’s probably riding at a reasonable pace, and just happens to be ending up at work at the end of his ride! That certainly sums up my commuting – I ride at the same speed I would if I was going for a ride, no bags, no panniers, normal road bike. As such I don’t want a massive heavy jacket, the OP may be in the same boat.

Commuting is just riding, and personally I wouldn’t want a big bulky jacket like that. YMMV. I take on board that you’re saying the weight belies the breathability though, and I am making a snap judgement.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely commuting jacket = altura night vision?

Anyone got an oppinion on them, really noticable when you see people wearing them, but how do they rate as a watrproof cuycling jacket?

I ride at the same speed I would if I was going for a ride, no bags, no panniers, normal road bike.

+1, but the difference to me is that commuting I don’t get to chose the time/roads/conditions. I wouldn’t wear high vis, reflective bands, 2x front and 2x rear lights etc at mid day on quiet roads.

Having said that I now commute on my MTB, quite a bit slower, but my commutes only 7 miles so it’s still in the region of additional time on the bike being a good thing rather than bad.

njee20
    Free Member

+1, but the difference to me is that commuting I don’t get to chose the time/roads/conditions. I wouldn’t wear high vis, reflective bands, 2x front and 2x rear lights etc at mid day on quiet roads.

See today I’ve worn my black Assos 851, with black tights, I have worn a red helmet though! I have got lights too, and I live in the sticks(ish).

sic_nick

I use an ex police cycling jacket that I got from the local army surplus store. Quite close fitting and Gore-tex too made by Scotgreat and it cost me £25. The first one lasted me 5 or 6 years before the zip died and I had to get another one as the reflective bits had all gone but I wore it commuting and also to work in if I was outside and it has been one of the best jackets I have ever had.

jacob46
    Free Member

Trying on the Gore oxygen neon yellow tomorrow at leisure lakes Wolverhampton.

Your correct Njee20,

My commute is as fast as a Sunday morning 50 mile ride. Fitted jacket required.

njee20
    Free Member

Mudguards are still needed for both. 😉

cyclistm
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – I bought my altura nightvision with reflectiveness as the first opriority. It is a great/bright jacket, but as a jacket for a fairly fast commute, its not great. Its too warm and the fit isn’t great. Ive not checked how waterproof it is yet. Its not a jacket I look forward to wearing like some of my less reflective Gore/Endura gear.

If I was picking a commuting jacket again, I would consider the Endura luminite

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Anyone got an oppinion on them, really noticable when you see people wearing them, but how do they rate as a watrproof cuycling jacket?

Similar experience to cyclistm – the fit was so baggy that I was banginng my legs off the jacket everytime I pedals, it got really annoying. Pretty waterproof though, give it its dues.

Just picked up a Karrimor reflective rucksack from Sports Direct for £16 which is completely made of reflective material – worrying about the jacket being visible has now become slightly less of an issue when I’ll be wearing that (yes, I know front visbility etc. etc) plus my new jacket.

cyclistm
    Free Member

the fit was so baggy that I was banginng my legs off the jacket everytime I pedals, it got really annoying

I found the same, I had to get a larger size to get arm length right, but the jacket ends up so baggy its ridiculous

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘commuting jacket coat required.’ is closed to new replies.