Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Commuting into Nottingham
  • Richie_B

Can anyone suggest a reasonably direct route to ride in to Nottingham city centre from the Ripley direction if possible avoiding the dual carriageway section of the A610?

Also has anyone any experience of using their cycle hub bike parking (Its going to be a pretty long commute which won’t be practical on a pub bike)

Thanks

doodlebug
    Free Member

I once turned down a good Nottingham job all because of the Shizzle and commute in a car, good luck with the bike commute…..

Richie_B

Now I find out… (I only have to be there a couple of times a week so shouldn’t be too bad). I’m looking for a route where I stand a reasonable chance of staying alive without adding too many miles.

napalmgram
    Free Member

Quick route from there, I’d drop to the 6007 through Waingroves to Ilkeston.

Then either up and over to trowell, and then straight in along Nottingham/Wollaton/Ilkeston Road, drops you at canning circus. (can miss the uphill DC section through Ilkeston by taking a long cut up the B6007 at the roundabout by Aldi and then back in on the 609)

Or turn left past tescos, down coronation road through Awsworth, under the 610, left on Gilt hill and then B600 through kimberley. At the 610 roundabout take your own preference for subway, crossings or just riding across to the onto Nottingham Road. Rejoin 610 at Nuthall island and follow it into town.

I’ve ridden both routes from Ilkeston and there’s nothing too bad on either. Though I tend to commute in before 07:30 and out before 17:00. And I’ve used the 6007 on the way back from the peak on quite a few occasions during busier hours.

MoreCashThanDash

If you can drop to Ilkeston pick up the Nutbrook Trail sustrans route to Stapleford?

Get to Kimberley and then off road to Strelley and go from there? Or get to Strelley via Heanor etc?

Depends which side of Nottingham you need of course.

There used to be a nutter ride in on the A610 when I was that side of town.

Richie_B

There used to be a nutter ride in on the A610 when I was that side of town.

I’m almost certain to try it once

Thanks the route through Ilkeston was what I was looking at although the DC section was putting me off (Thanks for the detour). Oldejeans’ route is almost exactly what I’ll be doing.

Any experience of the Hub bike parking?

sobriety
    Free Member

Where in the city centre will you be? There’re plenty of sheffield stands dotted about, and mine and my colleagues have fine on one, secured by a abus granit u lock.

alexpalacefan

The bike hub lock-ups are great. You’ll need to get a City Card and have it activated so you can gain access to them.
    Route planning advice is available from the local training organisation, Ridewise.

APF

mildbore

At Langley Mill pick up the Erewash canal past Ilkeston then link onto the Nottm canal to Bramcote. Minor streets towards Wollaton park, through the park and round the back of QMC on the council’s cycle route to/along Castle Boulevard to link up with city centre. Last part of the route (Wollaton park on) is on a map of cycle routes available from info centre on old market square

mildred

WDepends where exactly in Nottm. This isn’t bad:

At Langley Mill pick up the Erewash canal past Ilkeston then link onto the Nottm canal to Bramcote. Minor streets towards Wollaton park, through the park and round the back of QMC on the council’s cycle route to/along Castle Boulevard to link up with city centre. Last part of the route (Wollaton park on) is on a map of cycle routes available from info centre on old market square

But I would follow the Erewash all the way to Trent Lock. Turn left & Follow the Trent past Attenborough Nature Reserve until you find the the canal at Beeston Marina & follow this all the way into the city. It’s roughly 25 flat but pretty miles away from traffic. All on gravelled/surfaced wide path. I did this route for years & is a really enjoyable commute.

benman
    Free Member

Another possibility would be to cycle to Alfreton / Langley mill and jump on the train for the last part

LS
    Free Member

Ilkeston-Awsworth Road-Cossall-A609 to Balloon Woods then pick up the cycle paths on the road in towards Crown Island. That’s as close to the centre as I get so I can’t help you further, sorry.

I’ve done the A610 section quite a few times without issue, although I wouldn’t fancy it in the dark and I’m a lapsed TTer so dual carriageways are meat and drink to me really 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Ilkeston – Trent Lock – Nottingham is nigh on 20 miles – flat, but damned hard going on to Ripley.

Refreshment stop at Trent Lock though…..

Richie_B

Another possibility would be to cycle to Alfreton / Langley mill and jump on the train for the last part

The only down side is the big hills between Matlock & Alfreton & the 1:5 hill I would have to tackle just before I get home

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I used to ride in from Belper. Did it a couple of times a week for over 4 years. I had a few variations on routes.

From Ripley you could go via Shipley Park to get on the Nutbrook Trail and exit the park at the back of Ilkeston (pronounced Ilson 😉 )

Drop down the road to pick up the Awsworth canal and go down to the bridge near the footy ground, then take the road up to the Awsworth bypass.

Cross the bypass up a cycle lane onto a road that takes you up to and cross the old Awsworth Road, and go down the lane to the Babbington dog kennels.

Take the Bridleway left at the kennels and follow it up past the water tower at Swingate. Go right at the end and follow the lane round a couple of sharp bends, then pick up the track that takes you over the M1 and follow the lane down to Strelley.

Cycle path on the pavement to Balloon Wood 5 ways lights and then on road cycle lane down Wollaton Vale to the Priory.

Woodside Road, go on the road for a mile the pavement cycle path is a waste of time because of the side roads.

Then cycle path along University Blvd to Dunkirk. Then you have an option of Lenton onto Castle Blvd into town.

Or Lace Street, Claude Street and over the canal bridge onto the towpath to take you the back way to the London Road end of town. Depends where you need to be.

I did it fully laden with 35c road tyres on a drop bar Kaffendack. In all weathers and all seasons, no problems.

You can also detour from the Awsworth bypass to pick up the old bit of canal, then bridleway up to Cossall, a bit of road, then more bridlway and far tracks to go under the motorway and come out at Balloon Woods. But that is for dry periods only.

A few other tweaks if you are interested.

After all that, you are gonna say that you want road only, aren’t you!

You gotta embrace the hills fella!

MoreCashThanDash

Amen to avoiding the Woodside Road cycle path/pump track. 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Commuting into Nottingham’ is closed to new replies.