Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Commuting Gloop – New bike or new drivechains
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Daily commute is 12 miles each way, 9 on Trans Pennine Trail and Farmtracks. From November to March the tracks are pretty much a muddy, gritty, mess which grinds gears to nothing in no time. I’m on my third jockey wheel on one bike.

I’ve got alovely Dirty Disco which I reallyenjoy the commute on for dry summer days. I was using the old Boardman hybrid with guards for the wet days but it’s now shagged and needs replacing.

My original plan was to spend £600 on an Arkose single speed, fit slicks and guards and use it on the gloopy days and use the DD on the dry days. But is it really worth spending £600 on the new bike (+ guards, tyres, lights, pedals etc) or should I just set that money aside as a fund to buy new cassettes, chains and chainrings for the DD as they wear out?

My initial view is that you could buy almost unlimited Sram Apex kit for the DD with £600 but then look on CRC and realise that a new chainset is £80 on its own.

THe DD is great to ride, so why would I waste £600 on a SS that wouldnt be as nice…

hmmmm

dawson

Could you bung a tensioner on your grotty bike and convert that to singlespeed?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Now there’s an idea. Then I could see just how good/bad a SS is on that stretch.

hhmmmm

shermer75
    Free Member
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Commuting Gloop – New bike or new drivechains’ is closed to new replies.