Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Commuting, folding bikes, and oxford
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Alright,

I’m going to start a new job in a few weeks which wil mean a coach from buckingham to oxford, followed by a 3.5 ish mile trip to the JR hospital.

I’m thinking of a folder, rather than another bus inOxford.

So, what folder? Are Bromptons really wrth it? and if so, which one Its not too far but I think its up hill, so would the singleseed one be ok, or are gears reccomended.

And I know I’ll look like a nob thanks.

Cheers

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Brompton, 2-speed with the flat S-type bars. It is a lovely thing, really nicely made and an absolute pleasure to fold and unfold. It does not ride terribly well, and I find it hard to keep up the facade of sophistication while riding it, but that is by-the-by.

I should note that the Brompton is the only folder I’ve used, my wife preferred the ride of the Mezzo but decided it lacked classic appeal.

🙂

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Ive got a 20inch wheel Dahon speed folder but i am changing it soon for a mezzo. The reason being is that my work has just started the C2W scheme and i really want a bike that folds smaller. I commute into london on the trains and use the folder everyday i work.

Bromptons, the smallest fold but the ride i found to be poor compared to my dahon.

Mezzo, folds small enough and rides reasonably well.

Dahon 20incher, fold is massive, weighs a ton but rides much more like a real bike.

woffle
    Free Member

If you’re going any distance then I’d recommend an Airnimal or another of the ‘fuller’ size folders. I’ve got a Joey and do between 15 and 45 miles a day on it without any problems to and from the house to whichever rail station I feel up to riding to. There really is a world of difference having the bigger wheels and more gears – I’ve had a variety of folders from a Strida (good for a couple of flat miles, folds nicely) via a couple of Dahons (cheap, small wheels but quality is a little hit and miss). The Airnimal is more of a proper bike and I’d thoroughly recommend them – I think the range starts at around £750.

I travel on South Eastern railway and they have a folding bike only policy on peak time trains. In practice I’m rarely asked to fold it up and don’t have any issues squeezing it in the carriage. The Airnimal only takes 30-45 seconds to fold anyway though I wouldn’t want to carry it any great distance.

TheGingerOne

Are you sure that you really need to cycle the last bit of your journey?

If coming in from Buckingham your route ‘might’ go through Headington where you will be able to alight the bus and walk from there.

Or if it takes you into Gloucester Green, there are plenty of buses that go directly to and also pass the JR regularly.

I’d do it by bus for a while first to ensure you need to make the investment.

IWH
    Free Member

As TheGingerOne says, if you’re going to be geting off in Headington then there’s no real need to boher with a bike. If you’re getting off in the Centre (Gloucester Green or the train station) then go for the Mezzo. It’s not too bad hill wise getting to the JR but the last section before you enter the Hospital grounds is enough of a climb to warrant the 9 gears.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I think I’m looking at ease and size of fold (for travelling and office storage) so small wheeler really.

Test rides a good idea.

Tried the bus from Gloucester Green on a trial run, took 1/2 an hour, figure riding to JR would be at least as quick? May move to Bicester soon and doing a train commute.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I had several folding bikes and only Brompton rode well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Commuting, folding bikes, and oxford’ is closed to new replies.