Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commuting – coughing up black stuff
  • seanoc
    Free Member

My commute in the morning – 20 miles with 30% rural, 60% town with light traffic- has me hacking black stuff off my chest whilst in the shower, it’s always been like this. Anyone else?

I don’t smoke, never have and it looks much too particulate to be blood. Doesn’t happen if I run or swim in the morning. I was wondering about popping to the dr’s to see if there could be any longterm issues before I consider some sort of mask.

Anyone arrived at any conclusions regarding this?

DrP

Yeah, I’d definitely consider a mask (as long as it only happens after a commute. If it’s happening after you would realistically have ‘cleared’ the lungs, see the doc)!

DrP

miner29er
    Free Member

I commuted in Manchester’s rush hour traffic for ten years. I spat plenty of green stuff onto Oldham Road, but never black. See a doctor mate.

nedrapier

Sorry to hear about the Black Lung, Sean.

Anyone know how effective those masks are?

I’ve always wondered how something that can allow enough air through to breathe hard can be doing much in the way of filtering? I would have thought that the Respro site would have some science on there saying how effective they are, but there’s none.

Is that a sign in itself? 10-15 miles/day in Norf London, so I’m interested!

molgrips
    Free Member

Holy cow. I never coughed up anything in all my days of urban cycling.

The only time anything remotely similar has happened to me is that I got a few small black bits in my hanky after a whole evening of tending a smoky campfire that kept blowing strong smoke right into my face.

+100 for a doctor. You should only be coughing up black if you’ve been a coal miner for 20 years.

sc-xc

I commute through heavy traffic – 40 minutes each way. Behind buses and lorries churning out clouds of thick smoke in the heart of the Black Country. I have never coughed up anything…

I remember reading somewhere that the respro type masks were useless in anything but really really badly polluted areas, and even then they weren’t that good.

ton

commuted by bike for 29yrs
    never coughed up anything black or bloody.
    plenty of green phlegm and loads of shooting snot from my nostrils……………. 8)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yikes! Get to a doctor!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Altered blood might appear black & particulate like. Off to a doctor asap.

seanoc
    Free Member

Doh.

nickname
    Free Member

Anyone know how effective those masks are?

I think they do a good job – lots of people with asthma comment on how they improve things.

I’ve was certainly blowing out black stuff from my nose before I used one (not coughing it up mind). They also have an added benefit in cold weather – it’s a bit nasty breathing cold air, and that problem goes away with them.

miner29er
    Free Member

Hey Sean, How’s the boy with the black stuff? Still with us mate?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commuting – coughing up black stuff’ is closed to new replies.