Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Commuting by bike, what do I need to know?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

I'm thinking of commuting by bike. Facilities at work are no problem, I'm the boss, and we've got showers and a kitchen, I have my own office. I'm probably going to leave my car parked at work because I need it during the day most days. I've got secure storage at work.

My commute is 8 miles or so, rolling South Derbyshire hills, takes 15 minutes by car, going to time it on the bike next week. I plan on starting on my hardtail (avec Racing Ralphs), and if it works out then buying myself a road bike to commute on – something with drop bars, a triple, and rack eyelets so I can put a rack and panniers on. Price would be £500 to £750. I can't use the cycle to work scheme because I'm not PAYE.

What do I need to know?

What bike would you recommend for me?

Thanks in advance.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Just stick slicks on your hardtail, or get some new wheels shod with said slicks so you can swap them over quicker.

Oh, and beware the cars

nbt

Leave as much gear at work as you can. Clothes, towels, toiletries etc. If you can buy / make lunch at work do that too – the less you have to carry, the better. My 6 mile commute by bike is a consistent 23 minutes, by car it varies from 16 to 45 depending on traffic, but averages out around 23 – but I live and work in a conurbation, if your commute is more rural your times may differ more. Remember your bike can go where your car can't so there may be a cut-through you can take

get full mudguards for winter, TBH mine have stayed on year round. for such a short commute with such great facilities, yo won;t need panniers or anything, in fact TBH there's not much to say that you don't appear to have considered already

Ride aggresively, make sure you claim your road space, make sure cars *HAVE* to cross the white line to pass you, if they reckon they can squeeze past they will, and only one person will come off worst if they misjudge

desf
    Free Member

Make your bike as simple as you feel comfortable with to ease maintenance.

All nbt's advice is spot on, but be assertive rather than aggressive. Claim your space, don't weave in and out of parked cars – the further away cars can see you the better.

Expect drivers to do the daftest things and you won't be surprised.

Oh and enjoy it! It's so much better than being stuck in a car or bus.

Pieface

Slicks on a mTB are a good start, but if you've got the money go for a road bike with full mudgaurds. I would reccomend a rack and panniers as its more comfy and with a bungee or extra space in the pannier you can go shopping etc.

MTB is easier to handle initially, but a well set up roadbike is just as good when your hands are on the hoods.

There is no way that you will be slower on a road bike than a MTB.

Pieface

And don't forget your pants.

If you can afford it / can be bothered, leave all your clothes at work and get service washes at the launderette.

If you can, aim to carry nothing to work.

atlaz
    Free Member

I second/third/fourth the leaving as much at work as possible. I leave shoes and toiletries there at the least and do a suit/shirt drop on the days I drive. I ride to work with enough stuff to repair punctures as well as wallet, keys, phone(s) etc but that's it. If I'm pushed I even put on the liners from my baggies under jeans on Fridays to save even more space.

For shopping, I shop near home and if needed, walk the 5 mins home from there with the bags hanging from the bars (assuming I can't ride with them).

alpin
    Free Member

What do I need to know?

the way.

samuri
    Free Member

I always leave spare undies/socks at work, more than I usually need, I'd not want to be found short of them. Take shirts/trousers in on monday, leave a spare pair of shoes at work. toiletries obviously.

I find, even after getting washed, I'm still sweating a bit so a fan on your desk migt be worthwhile for ten minutes after you've clesaned up and sat down.

As for the commuting itself… If you're not a regular road rider you're going to learn some hard truths about car drivers very quickly. They're all **** basically. If they're not, just treat that way anyway, just in case.

Enjoy though, it's a million times better than sitting in a car.

njee20
    Free Member

I drive in Monday with shirts for the week, leave a suit and shoes at work, then just ride in the rest of the week carrying a pair of boxers in my jersey pocket.

Never really understood the need for panniers etc if you're literally just riding to/from the office unless you're carrying a laptop etc every day.

aw
    Free Member

Go for a rucksack or large camelbak rather than panniers.

Try to carry as less as possible but I do take a full set of clothes for each day. This idea of dropping all the shirts on Monday means one less commuting day 🙂

IA

"Go for a rucksack or large camelbak rather than panniers."

Really?! Have you actually tried a pannier(s) out? So much better, and more comfortable. Less strain on your back, keeps you cooler, easier to carry heavier loads if you can etc.

If you can change at work then mudguards are less essential, but it's amazing how often you get wet from road spray rather than rain, so mudguards make a bigger difference than you think. And it's all about full-length one.

Also no-one's mentioned the benefits – I find that a commute of that sort of length makes a big difference to fitness – it'll be hard the first few weeks, but when you get into it then it helps a lot.

Also eat more breakfast, and make sure you have something healthy to snack on when you reach the office – commuting makes you hungry!

psling
    Free Member

Assuming you're riding on-road rather than off-road, then yes, a road bike with full mudguards and rack eyelets is your best bet for commuting duties IMO. That's what I ride anyhow 😉 although I do sometimes take the mtb and take the 'scenic' route home 😀

Personally, I like to keep my back free of bags for the commute; much more comfortable. I use a rack bag rather than panniers. Like others I take clean work clothes in each week by car plus I also take in a supply of energy bars and fruit for the week. I keep a pair of shoes at work but take in clean undies each day. Only other stuff I carry each day is some lunch, a spare tube and a small toolkit in the rack bag plus a frame pump. I always ride on road with a flashing rear light. Always. I also wear a yellow gilet or waterproof for the commute.

I tend to leave plenty of time for the ride in to work, arriving early to allow 'drying' time because I always carry on sweating for 10 minutes after I stop riding (no shower, so it's a stand up wash down in the disabled loo for me!). Light breakfast before I leave (cereal) then banana or energy bar when I get to work. Snacks throughout day, another banana or energy bar 20 minutes or so before ride home. Plenty of water throughout day too. Works for me on my 15km each way rural commute.

Oh, and get into the habit! Don't put it off just because it's raining or you don't feel like it 😀

uponthedowns
    Free Member

What bike would you recommend for me?

For a 16 mile round trip just put slicks on your MTB at least untill you decide if cycle commuting is for you.

Don't underestimate the practicality and comfort of having full mudguards so if you can't fit them onto your MTB or don't want the hassle of having to remove and refit them every time you go off road then get a bike that will take them. I can recommend this

Proper road frame, nice and light and responsive and will take full mudguards and a rack. Mine's built up with Shimano 105 but put Tiagra on it and it comes in at £999. The Racelight T which is slightly heavier starts at £899 so closer to your budget. With a good bike once you get a taste for road riding you'll probably find yourself extending your rides home especially on sunny summer evenings.

danceswithcats

I do 8 miles each way on fairly steep rolling land. I ride a cheap Spesh Hardrock and I've gone back to mtb tyres instead of slicks because I kept finding new offroad routes and ended up having an accident.
    I really enjoy my commute. I often leave work with my head pounding (people job, dealing with challenging client base) and the ride is a wonderful tonic. This winter I rode through the snow along a road lined with stranded cars. It was wonderful; I was getting cheered by stranded motorists (and snowballed).
    Get a warm skullcap to go under your helmet for the winter and don't skimp on your rucksack. Panniers make me feel unbalanced and my size twelves keep banging them. I don't know whether a road bike would be better if you were riding on road as I've never ridden one. They always look like riding a matchstick model to me; they certainly fly past me when I take the road route but they have to do horrible winding lines down the roads to avoid guttering, potholes and the like. I just bang along, bouncing through obstacles and singing my 'I hate cars' song.
    Have fun. First month was hell but I've been doing it for two years now and I miss it when I'm off work.
    Oh, one more thing. I find most drivers considerate but you do feel vulnerable at times, and it is easy to become aggressive. The one time I swore at a car I realised I had misjudged what they were doing and felt bad for a week. However, silver mercedes, and hyundais and subarus are ALWAYS bad news, whether ill-intentioned or not. I don't know why; they just are.

kimbers

enjoy it!

and dont let road rage wind you up, just remember that any **** who cuts you up/ boxes you in/ trys to kill you is a prisoner in his unhealthy little box

MoreCashThanDash

The simpler the better, leave what you can at work – singlespeed, full mudguards, lots of lights in winter!

gecko76

Ride like you're invisible.

StirlingCrispin

Fit mudguards and a mudflap.
    Buy good waterproofs.
    Use a Carradice saddlebag to carry your kit.
    Fit a dynamo for when winter comes.
    Read Cyclecraft by John Franklin.

colande
    Free Member

+1 read cyclecraft by john franklin

brilliant book!
    i think anyone who rides on the road, experienced or not should give it a read.

quincy
    Free Member

All sound advice. Not to scare you off but I have a much shorter commute (2 miles each way) and been hit 3 times in a year. Always expect the car to do the unpredictable and keep your distance. As annoying as a car being in your cycle lane may be, any contact and you will always be the worse off. After a few weeks you will never look back. Used to get the bus but always pass at least 2 or three on my way in. Very satisfying! Enjoy it, you will feel the health benefits almost immediately.

As for bikes, if its a road bike your looking at, for choice it has to be the Spesh Allez or Secteur range. Start from about 500 notes for the entry level and 750 to 800 will get you a decent spec.

Enjoy it dude! 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

Wish me luck, about to set off on my first ride home. 😀 🙄

Kramer
    Free Member

That was much better than going by car. 😀

Kramer
    Free Member

So about 35 minutes on my (lightweight xc) hardtail on racing ralphs pumped up to 50psi, how long on a roadbike?

karnali
    Free Member

just ordered a dolan cross bike for this very ppose, been commuting ona ss tricross for last 7 months and decided on a geared bike.
    will take rack and full guards, 650 with full tiagra could not find anything near it for that price.

Bunnyhop

Just realised Kramer next time we ride with you, you'll be up those steep hills and as fit as a butchers dog.

I used to wear one of those builders tabbards over my rucksack on my commute. It used to flap alot. It looked silly but made me visable.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Commuting by bike, what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.