Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • Commuting 18 miles, Hybrid or roadie ?
  • weeksy

Looking to save some cash and commute to work next year a fair few times. So looking at picking something up nice and cheap…

Do i go for a roadie or for a hybrid ?

I’ve done the ride on my MTB in 50 mins, so time isn’t really of the essence, if the hybrid is 3 mins quicker, and the roadie 3 quicker than that it’s not really important..

But interested in what you’d choose and why ?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Urban, open road, hills, exposed, sheltered, panniers, rucksac, all weathers – all comes into it. Me – road bike everytime, others will suggest hybrid if there is a lot of urban involved.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have a 10 mile commute which is less effort on the Roadie than the MTB.

MTB is fun going home as its more downhill and theres not a lot in it timewise, but on the (predominately uphill)way to work in the morning there is a much bigger difference

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would have a road bike. with 28c tyres and mudguards. maybe called a tourer/ audax/ abomination by some.

hybrids i see all seem to be very upright/ not very efficient position. not sure i could do a half hour plus like that.

18 miles in 50 mins is pretty quick.

alfabus
    Free Member

road bike with rack and full mudguards… 18 each way is not to be sniffed at, you’ll want maximum efficiency – especially on the days when you are tired/hungover or the weather is rubbish.

Get the right tool for a job – you are riding on roads, so you need a road bike.

Dave

edit: forgot to put that you should use panniers (hence the rack), rather than a rucsac. ortlieb back rollers are 100% waterproof and their expense spread over commuting 36 miles per day, every day is nothing really. Mine have lasted 6 years so far and still look like new.

weeksy

Thanks Tom, i do a fair bit of MTB stuff, so i’m not exactly unfit… but don’t want to wear out my XC bike as that’s my main bike and componentry replacing would be expensive.

Just been checking GPS stuff… it was 16 miles, but i took some of the off-road route for the last 3-4 miles which i obviously wouldn’t be doing on a road bike lol.

90% of the riding is B lanes from the countryside. The last 2 miles is i guess what people would call ‘urban’ but really only the last 300m i expect to see any traffic/stopping etc.

weeksy

road bike with rack and full mudguards… 18 each way is not to be sniffed at, you’ll want maximum efficiency – especially on the days when you are tired/hungover or the weather is rubbish.

They’ll be the days i take the mondeo in 🙂

JAG

If you can cover 16 miles in 50 minutes (19.2 mph average) then you’ve been riding long enough to make your own decision over which bike to buy!

Sorry 🙄

weeksy

How so ?
    I’ve never ridden anything other than a MTB… i simply have no concept of whether it’s better to do an hour on a Hybrid for comfort ? or is the road bike comfy enough ?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’d chose road bike with rack and mudguards.

float
    Free Member

+1 for the roadbike. the fact you can get down on the drops when the wind is in your face is a lifesaver.

cp

I’d try both. I’d be inclined to go with a road bike with 28-32 section tyres. However, the fit is important, and as you’re not used to road bikes, it could be a bit hit and miss getting one to fit.

Something like a Boardman hybrid could be a good compromise – quite a racy fit, but flat bars which you’re used to.

mrmo
    Free Member

my current commute is 16.5miles of flat open busy roads,

my advice is get a roadbike and get mudguards for when it is wet. Bizzarley rain doesn’t tend to get you that wet, spray off the front and back wheels does. For tyre size unless the roads are crap just stick 23s i don’t see much point in fitting touring tyres to ride to work.

Look at stashing as much kit at work as you can, ie shoes, shirts etc.

prezet
    Free Member

Road bike + skinny tyres = zoooom.

Hybrid would be ok I guess, bit of a more ‘sit up’ position rather than riding on drops. Which, over 18 miles you might be thankful for with a headwind.

weeksy

Look at stashing as much kit at work as you can, ie shoes, shirts etc.

Not a problem there, we have showers etc, i’m also an IT bod so shoes etc don’t come into play 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

averaging nearly 22 mph for nearly an hour on a mtb is pretty good going

woody2000

This does me for a 10 mile each way commute, and any other road riding I do. I can’t get on with drops so it suits me.

prezet
    Free Member

Not a problem there, we have showers etc, i’m also an IT bod so shoes etc don’t come into play

Nor does underwear… 😉

honourablegeorge

What forks are those, Woody?

justatheory
    Free Member

Lots of road bikes have quite tall head tubes these days so you wouldn’t be as crouched over, but the drops give the option of getting low if you want. CX bike might be worth considering as a compromise.

woody2000

Kinesis DC19 HG

djglover
    Free Member

Roadie every time. I’m doing 38 miles a few times a week and would not be without the drops. Doing it fixed though as I am a hipster 😉

honourablegeorge

Ta. They look good on it.

njee20
    Free Member

averaging nearly 22 mph for nearly an hour on a mtb is pretty good going

+1, that’s extremely quick.

I’d do it on a road bike, but then I do everything on the road on a road bike! Mudguards for winter. Don’t really see the point in hybrids myself.

Lots of road bikes have quite tall head tubes these days so you wouldn’t be as crouched over

My Allez which I commute on is billed as a reasonably racey bike, and yet I had to take all 50mm of spacers (including the headset top cup dust cover) and buy a -12 degree stem to make it the same front end height as my Madone – it was like a shopping bike before!

cp

(it is weird that allez’s and a few other spesh road bikes have such enormously long head tube)

fourbanger
    Free Member

A hybrid is essentially a MTB with road tyres. Buy some slicks for your MTB, see how you get on.

njee20
    Free Member

I guess it’s driven by what people want, but I thought it was absolutely horrendous, and I couldn’t even consider riding a Roubaix or Secteur.

weeksy

A hybrid is essentially a MTB with road tyres. Buy some slicks for your MTB, see how you get on.

Doesn’t really work as a plan for me mate. Basically i’d be swapping tyres potentially 2-3 times a week. Also the wear on the SLX/XTR components for me would not make me a happy boy. I did debate getting a 2nd set of wheels and just using the 29er but like i say, the drivetrain issues are stopping me… To buy a pair of wheels, discs, cassette for the spares is about £150.. which is more than i expect to pay for a commuter bike in total

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dunno if anyone else has aksed but I presume it’s 18 miles each way.

I’ve done the ride on my MTB in 50 mins, so time isn’t really of the essence, if the hybrid is 3 mins quicker, and the roadie 3 quicker than that it’s not really important..

Thats up to you what you ride then.

My commute is 20 miles each way and I use a cx bike with full guards and road tyres. Tried it once on my mtb, just felt so slow and cumbersome.

And yeh an average speed of 21.6mph is pretty quick.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Get a road bike. Try a few first to get an idea of sizing. I wouldn’t bother putting big heavy touring tyres on either to be honest, 23C or 25C will be fine. I would definitely go for panniers over a ruck sack as well., plus mud guards. You’d surprised how much even a little bit of a wet road will get your arse wet. Even a CX bike might good. 2nd hand crossbow or something similar?

ahwiles
    Free Member

how is cycling to work going to save you money?

you’re going to spend hundreds on a bike/clothes/locks/bags/lights/tyres/pasties/yaddayaddayadda.

(if not thousands)

it won’t save you any money unless you cancel the gym membership, or give up a car.

My commute-route is 8 miles long, the last half mile is along some nice swoopy single-track. I’ve got a shabby alfined-inbred that does ok, if i were to try again, i’d get a single-speeded cyclocross thing with discs.

njee20
    Free Member

I drive/get the train once every couple of weeks or so with clean shirts, then ride the rest of the week without the need for a bag/panniers.

Mudguards definitely though – full guards ideal, but I just use Race Blades, and they keep 95% of the crap off you, can’t believe I resisted for so long frankly.

njee20
    Free Member

The alternative for me is either £35/day on the train, or 25 miles in petrol (depending on which office I’m in). Even £1000 on kit is recouped pretty fast.

weeksy

you’re going to spend hundreds on a bike/clothes/locks/bags/lights/tyres/pasties/yaddayaddayadda.

(if not thousands)

it won’t save you any money unless biking you will cancel the gym membership, or give up a car.

£5 a day in fuel. Will soon add up. I have sufficient clothing/kit/etc to not need to buy any more… i’m doing going for SPD’s or anthing like that, just trainers/5-10’s. things like lights etc i have from MTBing… so the cost is just initial outlay and upkeep, upkeep will be less than the car.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…I have sufficient clothing/kit/etc to not need to buy any more… i’m doing going for SPD’s or anthing like that, just trainers/5-10’s. things like lights etc i have from MTBing… so the cost is just initial outlay and upkeep, upkeep will be less than the car…

i tell myself exactly the same thing 🙂

bizarrely, i drive to work now when i want to save money – i reckon i spend about £3 per day on fuel, but that’s nothing compared to my food bill…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve saved at least £1500 a year in fuel by commuting, so around £7.5k over the last 5 years I’ve been doing it, what I’ve spent on clothes, chains, casettes, tyres, lube comes nowhere close to that figure. And I’ve never felt the ned for additional food.

So the op is saying he’s riding this 21.6mph average speed on an mtb wearing trainers?

njee20
    Free Member

I didn’t buy much additional kit for commuting – a bike and some extra lights.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

So the op is saying he’s riding this 21.6mph average speed on an mtb wearing trainers?

Yeah, I’d not be worrying about commuting…. give Team Sky or BC a call QUICK!!! 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

As others have said, that is seriously quick on a mountain bike. 16miles is a nice distance, I ride (or rode as I’m having a long break from it atm) 19-20miles each way and I couldn’t imagine it on a mountain bike. Commuting regularly can soon can become a chore, so being able to get it done quickly becomes important. I use a cx bike as I race cross so I have one, and I like the ability to change the tyres, fit guards, ride towpaths etc. A touring bike would be just as suitable.

I personally don’t see the point in hybrids. As inefficient position as a mountain bike without the strength and ability. Perhaps a 29″ and fit skinny wheels if you want to go that route, then you’ll have a different type of mountain bike to play with as well.

I used to do 10 miles each way, everyday and that was my only way to get to work and I used mountain bike, road bike, cross bike. All were suitable although the road bike was the least fatiguing over the long run.

Commuting regularly kills bikes so bare this in mind when working out how much to spend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Commuting 18 miles, Hybrid or roadie ?’ is closed to new replies.