Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Commuter MAMIL bingo!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Score a point for any of the following seen on your commute;
    Deep section carbon wheels
    Tri shoes
    Tri bars
    Top tube food box
    Two matching water bottles
    Matching team kit (lycra natch)
    Any Assos clothing

Score double points for the following;
    Matching team kit which matches the team replica bike
    Lycra on a Boris bike
    Lycra AND clipless pedals on a Brompton
    Two matching water bottles in an aero behind the saddle cage

Lose a point for every whicker basket

What else do we need to add?

I scored 15 this morning.

j_me
    Free Member

UCI Rainbow colours.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is there no section for ‘try-hard fixie ****’?

ie…

Silly quiff
    Cardigan
    NHS Specs
    Skinny Jeans
    Stupidly Narrow bars
    etc

I reckon I’d have called house in 30 secs and bingo in a minute on a recent ride through that there London village.

warton
    Free Member

I have a confession to make. two weeks ago i did a TT on my winter bike as it was very wet. when I woke up the next day I couldn’t be bothered to take the bars off, and my commuter had a flat so I TT’d into work.

apologies to all concerned

jonba
    Free Member

Any tour champion jersy i.e. polka dot king of the mountains (bonus points if you don’t have anything considered a hill by the UCI within riding distance. Yellow Jerseys, Pink Jerseys, Green Jerseys, White jerseys (especially if they are a MAMIL).

Surely your commute must be epic to need two waterbottles! I suppose it could be taining weights.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TSY, they are to be ignored, not even worthy of humourous scorn!

Good point re UCI rainbow jersey. Do we also add in anyone wearing TDF replica jerseys? Ditto the Maglia Rosa?

*Edit*

bonus points if you don’t have anything considered a hill by the UCI within riding distance

IIRC, a small hillock by the Tower of London was classified as a “hill” by the UCI for the Tour prologue. Or was it the Tour of Britain stage? I forget!

allthepies
    Free Member

Saw a bloke this morning (he was running not biking) this morning near Blackfriars Bridge who still had his tri entrant number written down the back of both calves.

Oh, and add full face or chin guard lid wearers on a Brompton.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahhh.. fair enough we just don’t get them out here.

What about people in SKINS compression gear?

or, god forbid..

A TT aero helmet?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

hark at the pro’s

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Allthepies, good spot!

We need to add in – Anyone with race plates on their bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

STW type who had to go out and spend £1k on a pompino/pompetamine/cross bike/singlecross so that they’d have exactly the right bike to commute on, then made it singlespeed for added gnarrrrrrr despite the fact their unused road bike would be faster, their MTB more comfortable, and a halfords bike would be less of a thief magnet.

Bonus points if wearing either STW or niche cycling shop jersey.

Stoner
    Free Member

Any points for the titanium framed fixie with brown leather bar tape and Brooks saddle jumping the queue at Park Lane this morning?

huws
    Free Member

Silly quiff
    Cardigan
    NHS Specs
    Skinny Jeans
    Stupidly Narrow bars
    etc

I’d have called bingo before leaving my house

crazy-legs

Any points for the titanium framed fixie with brown leather bar tape and Brooks saddle jumping the queue at Park Lane this morning?

Probably not although I’d give points for having him jump the queue then immediately being overtaken by everyone!

MrOvershoot

Is there no section for ‘try-hard fixie ****’?

ie…

Silly quiff
    Cardigan
    NHS Specs
    Skinny Jeans
    Stupidly Narrow bars
    etc
    In the etc section

Matching lurid rims
    What looks like the mother of all school bags
    Little dangly pouch on saddle
    No brakes at all (yes I really mean no brakes as it wasn’t even a fixed sprocket)

grum
    Free Member

Oh look it’s another ‘let’s sneer at other cyclists that we don’t deem to be cool’ thread. Yay!

traildog
    Free Member

I don’t really get this at all. The majority of my mileage is commuting and it is therefore the majority of any training for any event I maybe doing. I see people commuting on TT bikes, for example, because it’s good training.
    And since the Giro is on, I’ll certainly be wearing some of the jerseys if the weather improves – it’s rude not to!

karnali
    Free Member

House House!! oh dear i saw quite a lot of that this morning, deep section carbon wheels, tri bars, tri frame infact a full tri bike and that was before i left he garage, oh and even worse i rode it last week to work and back, if i score this many points again i may have to sell all and start doing tri’s on a monstercross fixed/ss drop barred one of a type nichetastic ti bike

maxray
    Free Member

Me either, what do all you ppl ripping everyone ride to work on? What is “allowed”?

Oggles
    Free Member

Commuting on TT bikes is good training if you’re riding at threshold for 10 miles. Pointless if you’re not though IMO.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The people being mocked probably do more miles in a day than the OP does in a year. I guess the lack of actually riding makes people angry when seeing others on bikes.

So what is ‘off’ the bingo list? Maybe wannabe fake london city boys on Specialized with Fox forks – as they are two brand names nobhead city boy colleagues might have heard off when just buying stuff from Evans and CycleSurgery.

I’d rather see more people on bikes in town than cars.

maxray
    Free Member

All bikes are good, theres a guy I see round Birmingham rides one of those chopper style bikes, fair play to him I say.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Specialized has Specialized forks, Chunky. Does that make me a “nobhead city boy ” in your esteemed opinion? FWIW, I ride to work every day and thoroughly enjoy it. On my three speed ladies shopping bike! 8)

All bikes are good bikes, but frankly, it’s not a race people!

brooess
    Free Member

You what?
    Yes it is! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Not commuting, but.. Yesterday I saw a bike race in the Olympiapark in Munich. It was apparently a triathlon. Lots of people there on commuter bikes and MTBs, fair enough. There was also much silliness like people wearing billowy waterproofs (it wasn’t raining) and on tri-bars, but the best one was a chap on a slightly too small cheapo full sus MTB wearing general fitness clothes and a pointy time trial helmet. He must’ve been doing it for a bet though.. surely..?

Oh look it’s another ‘let’s sneer at other cyclists that we don’t deem to be cool’ thread

Surely it’s simply a bit of a ribbing in absentia?

muggomagic

You what?
    Yes it is!

Unless of course you get overtaken, then it’s most definitly not a race

Shandy
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

it’s really not right to mock people’s choices of bike
    unless they are on a unicycle or a recumbent
    or one of those track bikes with a small wheel on the front
    or a 29er

julianwilson
    Free Member

FWIW, I ride to work every day and thoroughly enjoy it. On my three speed ladies shopping bike!

phew, the way I read his original post, I thought Flashy had scored 15 points this morning by his own bike and getup…

Lots of casually dressed people on old rigid canti’d mountain bikes with semi/slicks this morning. I think I scored nul points (for my own getup and everyone else’s!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not a chance, Julian!

Closest I got to any points was FiveTens and a pair of Oakleys!

gothandy

I commuted on my tallboy this morning, I did do the offroad bit around Lansdown but if you’d seen me going down London road it might have appeared a little OTT.

trailmonkey

no place for anyone on the bingo card in a ludicrously priced but must have Xar helmet ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Shandy – that’s druidh off this here forum.

😉

samuri
    Free Member

STW type who had to go out and spend £1k on a pompino/pompetamine/cross bike/singlecross so that they’d have exactly the right bike to commute on, then made it singlespeed for added gnarrrrrrr despite the fact their unused road bike would be faster, their MTB more comfortable, and a halfords bike would be less of a thief magnet.

Bonus points if wearing either STW or niche cycling shop jersey.

Have you been watching me? Although you’re wrong about the singlespeed, mine’s a fixie.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    no place for anyone on the bingo card in a ludicrously priced but must have Xar helmet ?

No. It’s my thread and I’m taking it home if I can’t win. 🙂

dazzlingboy

Guess I would score highly on my single speed Litespeed. Although I do have brakes and wear chinos and a barbour.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Anyone said yellow jersey yet? Anyway poor attempt at recreating the bike radar commuter racing thread 😉

And and 0 points for me as all the newbs have packed it in as it’s too wet and windy.

Shandy
    Free Member

Whoever that Assos man is, I aspire to his lifestyle

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

We’re all just riding bikes chaps.

And even if Bradley wiggins was on his mothers shopper wearing a pin stripe suit some loafers, with a shopping basket full Bassett hounds he’d still whip your ass!

It’s not about the bike.

<retreats behind flame proof wall and hides>

😉

akira

Nowt wrong with spds on a Brompton, the stock pedals are like ice in the wet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Commuter MAMIL bingo!’ is closed to new replies.