Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Commuter clothing dilemma, AKA, pick my clothes for tomorrow
  • lunge

All road ride, 15 miles in, 40 miles back.
    7°, dry and misty on the way in.
    13°, heavy rain on the way back.
    Work clothes already at work, shower available and will be used.
    No panniers or racks on the bike and I’m not taking a backpack, so anything not been worn on the way on needs to be carried in a back pocket. I can however leave stuff at work once I’ve got here.
    Lycra is a given, the bike will be a fast (ish) road bike.

Any ideas? All I can think is that I’ll be cold on the way in and wet on the way back.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well then a rain jacket and speedos..

njee20
    Free Member

Shorts, knee or leg warmers, jersey, arm warmers, gilet, perhaps a thin base. Some thin gloves that won’t get cold when wet – I’m a big fan of (non bike specific) wool ones in weather like this.

The extra warmth will offset the wet, you’ll be fine.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Jersey and shorts on the way in (baselayer if you’re only going slow).

Jersey and shorts on the way back (jacket if it’s pissing it down)

trail_rat
    Free Member

on second thoughts as per davidtaylforths sugggestion….

the mudguards will keep you dry.

scaled
    Free Member

Tights for me in that situation (my legs dont overheat, my top does) SS jersey, gilet and arm warmers, winter gloves.

I’m still wearing summer shoes though, it’s warmer than it looks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yup, these are the key really. I find over shoes a waste of time unless it’s really wet AND cold.

Forgot to say; glove’s would be good in the rain.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Warm 3/4 bibs, ss jersey, arm warmers, gilet, buff, warm overshoes, gloves, lightweight rain jacket in your back pocket in case it rains or get cold.

TiRed

so anything not been worn on the way on needs to be carried in a back pocket

You don’t have to stuff a jacket into a back pocket. Roll it into a sausage and place at the back UNDER the jersey. Of course if you ride in a skinsuit this will be difficult (Ride London in my case).

I’d wear 3/4’s or shorts and knee warmers, long sleeved base layer, SS or thin long-sleeved jersey and gilet, with a rain jacket under my jersey for the wet ride home. I’d also be wearing either my velotoze or overshoes. Thin unpadded full finger gloves too. In fact this is exactly what I wore on my 45 mile commute in last Thursday.

Tool kit in a bottle cage too.

lunge

Warm 3/4 bibs

Yep, these would be ideal…I really need to replace the ones I threw away last spring.

Yeah, they would be useful too, not going to happen though as that would involve a new frame and I can’t get one of those by tomorrow!

I think I’m going to aim to stay warm on the way in and accept I’ll get wet on the way back, 13° in the rain is not too bad really.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Plastic bags over your socks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it’s going to be a spirited 40 miles back I’d be tempted to dig out the Gabba.

So SS Gabba with a base and a SS jersey underneath. NoRain bib tights and arm warmers. Gilet if it’s really cold on the way in. Neoprene overshoes. Craft lobster gloves, with liner for on the way in, without for the way back. On the way back I’d probably also ditch the jersey under the gabba and the gilet and hammer it home. Wouldn’t keep me dry but it would keep me warm.

Oh and definitely mudguards.

stevious

L/S jersey over S/S jersey, bibs & kneewarmers on the way in. Waterproof jacket in a pocket or sausaged up as per the TiRed technique.

Leave one of the jerseys at work & commute home with jacket on.

dragon
    Free Member

I’d go as per stevios or Tired’s suggestions. Neither temp is really that cold, but if it will p*ss it down then a rain jackets is almost a must, although you could get away with just a windproof if you are willing to get wet and keep moving quickly enough to generate heat.

Bog standard mtb full fingered gloves should just about do it.

Oh and some kind of peaked cap to stop the rain getting in your eyes. Plus keeps the worst of the rain off your head.

sandwicheater

Ask your mum.

lunge

Ask your mum.

I did, her response of “you’re a grown man, what the hell are you doing riding a push bike to work” wasn’t helpful, thanks though.

njee20
    Free Member

Neither temp is really that cold, but if it will p*ss it down then a rain jackets is almost a must,

At 3 degrees possibly, at 13 degrees I absolutely wouldn’t wear a waterproof. YMMV.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Keeping us in suspense?

scaled
    Free Member

Keeping us in suspense?

Drowned

bikebouy
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Keeping us in suspense?

Probs rode in in suspenders 😆

lunge

My apologies, I wasn’t bored enough at work to update this morning!
    short sleeved base layer and jersey, gilet, arm warmers, winter shorts, knee warmers, cap.

Worked well on the way in, I’ve accepted I’ll be getting wet on the way back.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Preferred bikebouy’s version.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Commuter clothing dilemma, AKA, pick my clothes for tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.