Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Commuter clothing dilema
  • lunge

Anyone else have a clothing nightmare this morning? Cold and dry on the way in, forecast is for wet and warm on the way out.

Ended up in shorts, knee warmers, winter jacket and thick gloves but with a summer jersey, arm warmers and mitts on my pockets. Can’t help but thinking I’ve got too much stuff but my brain wasn’t working correctly at 5:30am this morning!

njee20
    Free Member

It was **** cold, I went with l/s base layer, s/s jersey, leg warmers, no gloves. Figure I can leave the base here until I’ve got a bag to carry it home and stick the leg warmers in my pocket.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Its STILL bloody freezing now! About to get out for a break and I’m wavering……

scruff
    Free Member

First time I’ve worn trousers for commuting this morning, even had my waterproof on and wished I had my skull cap.

lunge

Scruff, my cap made it’s first appearance for 6 or so months, very much needed as well. In fact, it was the first appearance of the winter bike for a while as well.

GregMay
    Free Member

3/4 lenghts, jersey with arm-warmers, wind-proof jacket. 2.5hr MTB ride before an 8:30am start – it was cold. Coffee helps now.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Where are you guys riding – London it was coldish but I was still fine in shorts and short sleeve top… must be a lot colder elsewhere!

GregMay
    Free Member

Grim North – Manchester.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I had long and short-sleeve tops in London and I was fine, but the fingerless gloves’ days are definitely numbered (now where did I put my winter gloves and trousers?)

colin9

Shorts and t-shirt this morning in Cornwall. Might have to swap the t-shirt for a base layer and maybe some gloves soon though, definitely autumnal.

scaled
    Free Member

ls base layer, summer gloves and shorts. and that’s a southerner in Manchester!

It wasn’t as cold as yesterday, when I didnt wear any gloves

JAG

Bib longs, short sleeved top, waterproof jacket and long finger gloves.

I was cold for the first 1/2 hour and then warm tending to sweaty as I arrived at work. I’m in Warwickshire 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

North Midlands, 5deg according to my bosses car.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Facing the Isle of Sh*te…. Sea fog, horns going off, etc…… showing 8 degrees currently…

lunge

Birmingham here. I was out quite early in my defence, I’m not just soft, honest. 🙄

g5604
    Free Member

pedal faster if you are cold.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yes we have entered the month long period where if you wear enough to be warm in the morning then you overheat on the way home.
    Once the clocks go back then its cold both ways so no problems.

Until then the choice is overheat or MTFU
    I chose the latter this morning and froze my nuts off

hilldodger
    Free Member

Surrey: 6’C this morning, chilly but just gets you moving faster to warm up – 3/4 bibs and windproof baselayer under s/sleeve jersey. .
    Mitts were a bit touch and go today, reckon another week or so and it’ll be long fingered gloves.

dunmail
    Free Member

Yep, that awkward time of year where you get all four seasons in a day. You need to be flexible with what you wear, roadies have had this sussed for years. I go with short sleeved tops + thermal vest + arm warmers for the mornings but just the short sleeved top on the way back. Leg warmers if it is particularly nippy but I can stand a bit more cold on my legs. Overshoes if it’s damp/cold.

Gloves I find are the most awkward: if I use full fingered gloves for the morning they are too warm in the afternoon; similarly fingerless gloves are a bit cold in the mornings.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Not ridden in today but did yesterday and it was about 5 degrees when I set off! Didn’t believe the forecast on my phone so had 2 summer jerseys, armwarmers, gilet and normal bib shorts with knee warmers.

Arrived at 8am, warm again by about 12.30!

Tomorrow I’m going for a proper base winter base layer with a summer jersey, normal bibs and knees. Brrr.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Sheffield; chilly, but not *that* cold.

3/4 bibs, merino top, lightish roubaix jersey.

nice and cosy for the 3k descent at the start of my commute, just about right for the other 9k (up and down a bit), but i took it easy and don’t like to get too sweaty on my way in.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Someone need to market some “finger warmers” for use with mitts 🙂

hatter

Hertfordshire into North London, 7 degrees when I left the house.

3/4 bibs, heavyweight Merino Long sleeve jersey, windproof fluoro gillet, (more for dozy drivers than for warmth) windproof gloves, wooly socks and cotton cap under the lid.

Arms felt a bit chilly with the wind but went on the logic it’s meant to be warmer on the way home. the rain’s meant to hold off as well.

Lifer
    Free Member

Foggy as a very foggy thing round my way this morning. Decided not to get run over, get enough close passes when visibility is good!

Need to get some knee warmers though, yesterday morning was unpleasant on the descents.

senorj

ha. Me too. knee warmers, windproof top,merino top & warm socks,plus full finger gloves. It was 6.5degrees at 5.15 in The north London Alps.
    It was 5 degrees at Welham…. 😕
    I’ll keep an eye out for Hatter as I head in to Herts….
    Theflatboy is the man. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

This time of year knee warmers, arm warmers, gilet and a cap to keep the sun out your eyes, then all pack small for the warm ride home. I used to dismiss them as roadie affectations, but it seems those boys who ride thousands of miles a year in all weathers know a thing or two.

Then a raid on the Aldi cycling kit on Thursday….

scruff
    Free Member

g5604 – Member
    pedal faster if you are cold.

Its mostly downhill on the way in, i had the brakes on yesterday! 😳

woody2000

Shorts, short sleeve top + arm warmers, gloves, gilet, cycling cap (I wear that year round anyway as I’m a sweaty barsteward). Waterproof jacket in the bag ready for the way home 🙂

I do have the advantage of leaving home at 8ish though, so the sun had warmed things up a little 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

2 degrees for my commute on the roadbike at 7 this morning. 3/4 Madison Roams and a new Castelli Gabba top, perfect, if a bit pricey for commuting!

fasthaggis

3/4s ,arm warmers and the joy that is the Scott Helium gilet.
    I love this time of year,perfect temperature for me and a great morning up here. 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

snakebite – Member
    2 degrees for my commute on the roadbike at 7 this morning.

I call bullsh1t.

snakebite
    Free Member
    cookeaa

I was feeling the cold this morning but I think I got the clothing about right for once, went for layering…

wore my thin “Summer” full finger MTB gloves,
    Roubaix lined leg warmers, normal Bibs, LS base layer, SS Jersey and a thin, shower proof jacket over the top, I figured I could take the jacket off if I got too hot, but I was about OK, just opened up the top of the zip for the last couple of miles to prevent too much “boil in the bag” effect, I had a Buff in the back pocket in case I’d really underestimated the cold.

looks like I’m going to be OK for the rest of today weather wise but I get rain for the ride in tomorrow morning, which means I’ll have to lug all those extra layers home tonight, bit of a pain in the arse, but I hate starting the day wet and this week is consecutive commute days…

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

3oc in Wallingford at 05:00. short bibs with leg warmers, ss jersey, altura night vision jacket. home will be shorts and jersey only.

addy6402

Bit nippy up on the Lickey Hills in the mornings – might have to add to the shorts, merino T and gilet I’ve been wearing…

scruff
    Free Member

Snakebite, keeping your GPS in your moms fridge doesn’t count.

gonzy
    Free Member

had the same issue yesterday…was a bit nippy so on wnet the base layer, mid layer and jacket. after work the sun was out and with no space in the bag for the extra layers, i was forced to ride home kitted out like a winter rider!!

snakebite
    Free Member

Snakebite, keeping your GPS in your moms fridge doesn’t count.

yeah, kept in the fridge while I towed it for 10km 😯

cloudnine
    Free Member

3/4 bibs, ss jersey and arm warmers.. Light weight rain jacket in my back pocket just in case.
    No gloves yet.. Try and avoid gloves till I really have to

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Commuter clothing dilema’ is closed to new replies.