Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Commutepacking
  • thenorthwind

I left my rucksack at work for reasons uninteresting, so I chucked the couple of things I needed for today in a small drybag (the only appropriately-sized bag I have) and put it on my bars to ride in this morning.

Am I bikepacking now? Previously I would have called this “cycling with some stuff” but that sounds a bit last year.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5umtd8gcrjhqpo8/AABDjdD1z2d_-x_abAiUKbHNa

cloudnine
    Free Member

That bar end 😯

Think about how an apple corer works..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pffffttttt.

My commuter dandyhorse is a fat bike, with alpkit koala. Being any less prepared for the 6 miles of bridleways ahead is frankly irresponsible.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there any evidence that uncovered bar ends are significantly more dangerous than covered ones? Apple corers are sharp!

smashit
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Is there any evidence that uncovered bar ends are significantly more dangerous than covered ones? Apple corers are sharp!

Anecdotally yes…. I’ve seen one instance of a core sample taken from someones inner thigh by an uncovered bar end, and lots of bruises from plugged bar ends. Make of that what you will!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Al.. Do a comparison experiment for stw.
    Fall on a bar end with no end cap on. Remove the impaled bars from your torso. Remove the body sample core from the inside of the bars.
    You’ll have to work quickly as there may now be blood flowing from your wound.

Attach end cap and repeat the experiment.
    This time you may have winded yourself or cracked a rib at worst.
    Put pressure on the wound and dial 999..hopefully you won’t bleed out before the paramedics arrive.

cookeaa

I only use a drybag for my commuting now, either on the bars or on a beam rack depending on the bike.

Way more practical and comfortable than a rucksack…

amedias
    Free Member

I’d imagine there would be if there was a central DB of reported bar inflicted injuries, but since there isn’t (that I’m aware of) a combination of anecdote and physics will be sufficient justification for me to continue putting plugs in the end of my bars.

It doesn’t need to be sharp, wanna do the calcs on difference in SA for the capped bar Vs the uncapped and what implications that might have when it hits your most sensitive squidginess with force?

faustus

Aside from the apple corer effect – isn’t it just a bit uncomfortable? Also – are they some strange bolt-on drops in the middle of the bar I see?

trail_rat
    Free Member

wonder why its mandatory for bar end plugs to be fitted at the races now al…..

seen more than my share of apple cores of leg or stomach back when downhilling.

thenorthwind

Main problem: bars too short for shifters, brake levers, computer light mounts, and yes, bolt-on drops, to get outer grip lock on.

Never really thought about the open bar ends. The plastic grip that extends over the end would probably absorb a lot of the impact, though I’m not offering this as a defence.

D0NK

Apple corers are sharp!

so are the OPs bars

well a bit pointed anyway.
    Don’t always plug but do atleast have lockon grips to very significantly blunt the “corer”

soobalias
    Free Member

cloudnine is being ridiculous in the extreme.

the experiment should be carried out the other way round, end plug version first.

hth.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Commutepacking’ is closed to new replies.