Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Community Speed Watch – has anyone volunteered?
  • cinnamon_girl

Reckon it could be time to put my money where my mouth is! A recent metro test has shown that the speed limit is regularly being exceeded despite this being a residential area.

So … what can I expect? Good and bad please!

Thanks. 🙂

br
    Free Member

are you really old enough?

and you’ll spend all day catching your neighbours and other locals…

seavers
    Free Member

Interesting, I think I have seen something similar in Leeds. A police officer was standing with someone who was not in uniform but they had a sign displaying the speed of every vehicle speeding or not.

As I wasn’t speeding I don’t know if letters were sent out but I think the concept of a warning letter from the police is a good idea. I would much rather have a heads up letter than a ticket.

I’m a human being and even though I do my best to keep to the limit from time to time I do drift above the speed limit on occasion….I think most people do from time to time. Having said that, not one ticket in 20 years…good luck maybe!?

One thing though, if you do this please, please don’t be a hypocrite!

project
    Free Member

a bloke i used to get a lift from occasionally always sped and drove like an idiot, while complaining about the speed of traffic on his road, one day he rushed home, and luckily a nice police man was on his road doing a speed check.

He got checked and was speeding, he was not happy as the copper came to his door, and when he told the copper to find more important things to do, he got 3 points and a stern warning.His roadf now also has lots of speed bumbs.

If you want to be a speed check bunny,(they always have the look of startled rabbits) please dont speed on other peoples roads, not that you ever would.

But its great scheme, and slows traffic down, and saves a lot of police time, as the volunteers do it for free.

Kuco

I’m for them even though I have had a run in with them.

I got accused of doing 40mph once in a 30mph zone. Got a letter thru work from the police stating I was caught doing 40mph by some volunteers. I wrote back stating they either mis-read the speed or the calibration is out or they lied as they were 50 yards from a 90 degree bend and I wouldn’t even go at 30mph towards that bend never mind 40mph. I did ask if it was possible to see a copy of the calibration certificate to make sure its up to date.

Never heard anything back.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Never heard anything back.

Yeah! Take that to the muffin factory!

JulianA
    Free Member

Smacks of vigilantism?

butcher

Smacks of vigilantism?

Or just doing your bit for your own community, under the guidance of local authorities? It’s not as if you’re beating anyone up.

Don’t know much about it personally, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

project
    Free Member

Smacks of vigilantism?

But youre trained and authorised by the Police to do the enforcement, and act as a deterent to speeders, who also just happen to kill people sometimes.

Its not as if pointing a speed gun at them will send out a death ray, or seriously fry their brains into going slower, although im sure it would be illegal

seavers
    Free Member

Yeah! Take that to the muffin factory!

titters….

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies and some interesting perceptions too!

One of the reasons for doing this is that my road has a shared cycle pavement and it’s well used by senior school kids. It’s great to see them on an assortment of bikes, including many bmx’s, and top marks to the school for allowing this.

The last thing I would want is for parents to decide that the road is too busy and dangerous, even though the kids are actually on the pavement. It’s currently used by many lorries for a nearby construction site.

We all know that kids can be a bit silly sometimes and the thought of one perhaps being accidentally pushed, or not paying attention, just doesn’t bear thinking about.

I’m not a vigilante nor a hypocrite but do keep to speed limits in residential areas and towns. Without wishing to be controversial, I do wish that speed cameras were switched back on!

JulianA
    Free Member

Smacks of vigilantism?

But youre trained and authorised by the Police to do the enforcement, and act as a deterent to speeders, who also just happen to kill people sometimes.

Hmmm. I think people in Germany were also encouraged (if not trained and authorised) to report on their neighbours when they transgressed.

People speed past our house, which is dangerous and stupid, but I have no intention of getting involved in any kind of ‘community’ programme.

Apart from the fact that I don’t believe in doing the police’s job for them (which should be paid for by the government), it’s divisive and can cause bad feeling in a community.

cinnamon_girl

JulianA – it’s a through road so not necessarily neighbours. Yes, the Police should be doing something but there is a camera near me and it’s not switched on!

I’ve been in this area for a year now and the driving standards are different. Far too many people ignore speed limits and appear to drive with cruise control!

GrahamS

Hmmm. I think people in Germany were also encouraged (if not trained and authorised) to report on their neighbours when they transgressed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

there is a camera near me and it’s not switched on

I don’t understand why “Community Speed Watch” would meet to the approval of your police force/local authority, but the use of an existing speed camera does not. It makes no sense to me.

satchm00
    Free Member

Well each to there own, if it bothers you that much then why not get involved and do your bit.

cinnamon_girl

Graham – can’t you find any nice pictures? 😉

ernie – I agree! But many counties decided to switch off speed cameras cos they were seen as a ‘cash cow’, as well as Joe Public moaning.

Kuco

Speed cameras aren’t being used by my local council though they still monitor some of them and we still have the mobile camera vans about.

Mugboo

My dad used to be a traffic bobby, after lots of complaints from a local busybody, sorry, councillor they set up a speed trap. First person nicked was the councillors wife 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But many counties decided to switch off speed cameras cos they were seen as a ‘cash cow’, as well as Joe Public moaning.

More to do with a lack of funding, rather than Jeremy The Massive Cock Clarkson and his minions blathering on about them all the time.

aracer
    Free Member

My dad used to be a traffic bobby, after lots of complaints from a local busybody, sorry, councillor they set up a speed trap. First person nicked was the councillors wife

which probably didn’t surprise the councillor 😈

anagallis_arvensis

On the face of it its a great idea. I just worry about the implications for the police force.

hels
    Free Member

Go for it – well done you ! Putting yourself forward to help fix a problem in your community and make it a better place.

maccruiskeen

my road has a shared cycle pavement and it’s well used by senior school kids.

While ‘watch the child!’ is an admirable sentiment, one of the reasons you’ll see older folk out on speed patrols is they are both much more intimidated by speeding traffic and much more vulnerable as pedestrians.

Isn’t it appalling for them to have to campaign for a bit of consideration and respect from their own neighbours.

elzorillo
    Free Member

They tried that around here.. The shortest ‘good deed’ ever. Think it lasted two days. Loads of insults and a vandalised house made the ‘good samaritans’ reconsider.

It seemed to work though as the cars were slowing down to about 10mph just so they could shout abuse 😆

Markie
    Free Member

Go for it – well done you ! Putting yourself forward to help fix a problem in your community and make it a better place.

Plus 1!

They tried that around here.. The shortest ‘good deed’ ever. Think it lasted two days. Loads of insults and a vandalised house made the ‘good samaritans’ reconsider.

It seemed to work though as the cars were slowing down to about 10mph just so they could shout abuse Which goes to show how stupid and self interested people are, communities working against their own best interests. The vandalised house and slowing down to shout abuse should have been dealt with by the police.

GrahamS

Graham – can’t you find any nice pictures? 😉

Well I’m not sure it helps the debate, but…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Community Speed Watch – has anyone volunteered?’ is closed to new replies.