Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Commuting/general riding – Anybody else get this from other people?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I cycle in to work, I get odd questions from customers who see my bike just outside the door here: Mostly "Where's your scooter/motorbike/car?"
    (Depending on what I came in with last time)

And when I say "at home" they expect there to be something wrong with it and I'm slumming it on the push bike, and find it incredible that I choose to ride a bike.

The neighbours at our last house (Lovely people) were amazed that we had 2 motorbikes, and a car, and that we used to walk to the shop, just over 1/2 a mile away….

Sometimes I struggle to explain why, it has to be said….

Just wondering like. 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Commoting – had to look that one up.

soobalias
    Free Member

yes, sometimes people ask me questions.

yossarian
    Free Member

Some people at work seem to think I'm a hero for cycling 8 miles to work. They tend to be the fat ones who drive everywhere. 🙂

toby1

You can walk to the local shop … Oh.

😛

trail_rat
    Free Member

people seem to presume you are poor or banned from driving !

Turned up at work carrying panniers into the office and the first thing my boss said was "we need to get you sorted with a car"

was on a course last week with a bunch of folk i didnt know and was asked "why" i cycled to the course was i banned from driving for some reason (seems to be common up here …. drunk an speeding are common reasons ammongst offshore workers)

cuckoo
    Free Member

In winter i rode in in the snow and loved doing so. When at work people who found out I'd come in on the bike in the snow were offering to give me lifts home and in one case commented that it was dangerous to ride in such temperatures (-7°C).

It just wasn't on their radar that I could have chosen to ride in, enjoyed doing so and been toasty warm during the ride.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. Not alone then! What's your reply then?

BAnana – Swift title editing – well spotted! 😉

HansRey

people at work seem to think I'm a hero for cycling 8 miles to work

Hehe yeah i got the same response biking from Sheffield to Rotherham. The hero status was a little deflated when they realised i took the train too.

I hated driving to work (even more than i hate trains) and i'm sure lots of people stuck in traffic did too. If the train companies would accept more bikes on their trains i'm sure more people would commute on bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my response is that i enjoy it – i do not enjoy driving/sitting in traffic muchly.

does tend to annoy folk at work when they say " just pop over to X or Y office and do X y or Z " – do we have a pool car – apparently not.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

hell yeah, bikes and trains suck!
    Maybe they'll take you more seriously if they read this 🙂
    Commuter stress takes up to two years off your life

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

does tend to annoy folk at work when they say " just pop over to X or Y office and do X y or Z " – do we have a pool car – apparently not.

Sounds like a nice excuse for a long ride to me, instead of working. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

"Sounds like a nice excuse for a long ride to me, instead of working."

that didnt fly ! none economical use of time apparently ….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just tell them its quicker by bike.

Talkemada
    Free Member

The neighbours at our last house (Lovely people) were amazed that we had 2 motorbikes, and a car, and that we used to walk to the shop, just over 1/2 a mile away….

I have come out of my place, seen a neighbour get into a car, then walked to the local supermarket (less than 1/2 mile away). Then, seen them in the supermarket. Then, I've walked home, and seen them pull up in their car, and get out, with one bag of shopping… 🙄

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Tell someone you "can't" drive, and they assume a ban, very annoying. I'm medically unfit to drive for 12 months (seizure) but try explaining to people that I can't drive and they instantly go into assuming it's a driving ban, which it isn't, and that they know the reasons why, which they don't.

I just tell them my licence has been revoked, which is different, and why, and that two wheels is abetter option anyway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

when they ask me I say it so that i dont end up as a fat unhelathy biffer like them…I am know for my charm at work.
    The look when they realise you cycle 15 miles to wrk and then slowly it dawns on them and then they go
    "what each way!"
    I tell them the return journey is much shorter …some buy this.
    They were also amazed when I cycled the coast to coast as if I had done the pacfic to the atlantic or something.
    I also like the what do you do when it rains question.
    EDIT:Talk I have seen our hugely overweight neighbour get her two kids in the car to drive to the nursery which is literally at the end of the road – 150 metres away. When I returned after walking my child there I saw her pulling back into her drive and she said I cant get parked any closer 🙄

Karinofnine

Them: What happens when it rains?
    Me: I put a jacket on.

Them: God, you must be freezing!
    Me(taking my glove off and touching their (frozen) hand): Nope, roasting thanks.

When I rode to hospital in the Borders
    Me: I'm a bit sweaty, I rode here by bike.
    Nurse: (aghast) Oh my god, can't you afford a car? Ooh, sorry, I shouldn't have said that.

Them: What do you do when it's dark?
    Me: I have lights on my bike. (Bike lights – astonishing concept eh?)

Most illogical thing? People who drive to the gym and go on an exercise bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

when they ask me I say it so that i dont end up as a fat unhelathy biffer like them…I am know for my charm at work.

LOL! Me too. 😉 I might try that…

I also like the what do you do when it rains question.

I've had that. I usually say, "Well, skin is waterproof" or "Get wet"

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just tell them my licence has been revoked

Personally I'd just tell them I had seizures and couldn't drive, seems to remove the confusion.

I never find people question my bike commuting anymore. They did occasionally when I rode 17 miles each way, these days it's down to 8 so it's far more sane.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

People who drive to the gym and go on an exercise bike.

Indeed.

Keva
    Free Member

People think it's amazing that I clock up 30-35 miles a week just cycling to work and back. There's a guy I work with who lives 300yards closer to work than I do and he prefers to drive in through the traffic yet says he wants to lose a stone in weight ! Go figure. I just cannot fathom some peoples logic.

When we had all the snow I was one of the few who made it into work everyday. People are scared of the elements outside these days and because of driving distance appears to be further than what it really is. The romans could march 50 miles in day ffs.

Kev

hp_source

I'm just about to start commuting 3 days a week (would like to do 5 but not doable with my job). I wonder which of these questions I'll be getting. People already think I live in the sticks because it's about 15 miles each way.

Karinofnine

The romans could march 50 miles in day ffs.

AND build a marching camp at the end of it!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Commuting/general riding – Anybody else get this from other people?’ is closed to new replies.