Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Commercial to residential – anyone done this?
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Me and Mrs RNP are toying with the idea of converting a commercial building into a residence for us. We live in a nice cottage that we’ve just finished renovating but between us buying it 12 years ago and now our life has changed tack considerably with the Mrs now running her own business which requires storage space and I rent a large unit for my tinkering/work.
    The commercial property we’ve just viewed would tick the boxes for her storage and my tinkering and cost wise would roughly be the same monthly as our mortgage and unit rent and still be able to provide space enough for a nice albeit traditional home (it’s a small Victorian mill).

Has anyone done similar and we’re there any pitfalls/pluses ?

scotroutes

There’ll be trouble….

RustyNissanPrairie

As in what sort of trouble?
    The building is in a now mainly residential area and was granted planning for the previous owner to change into a few apartments although that planning has lapsed.
    We’d be happy with living space and workshop/storage for ourselves

scotroutes

at t’mill…. 🙄

🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Ha ha ha 🙂

I fell for that one!

If the old use could was classified as ‘office’ then you can now convert to residential under permitted development (assuming not listed or in a conservation area) hence no need to apply. Although, if PP had been granted in the past, it’d be unusual not to be granted it again if needed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Commercial to residential – anyone done this?’ is closed to new replies.