Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Comments on the Genesis IO
  • chainbreakerdave
    Free Member

Just wondered whether anyone has one of these bikes and if you could comment on what it is like to ride. Are there any bnegatives to the ride?
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/series/io

I have an 07 model. I love mine. It was cheap (300, got it on sale). It has been a good buy. Mine came with shi**y hayes brakes, but other that that its a good intro to single speeds. There is a lot of upgrade potential there too. I have fitted a carbon bar to mine to soften the front end, I also chucked on a new saddle.

A lot of people have slated the cheap spec and said that they could build a S/S cheaper, that may an option.

I believe that the built bike has a different specced frame than the frame only so may be worth investigating.

The allen key screw tensioner thingys in the drop outs are a little bit soft and fiddly, but other than that its a well thought out bike, and in my case at an excellent price.

Mister-P
    Free Member

For 2009 the frame and the complete bike are Reynolds 520 where as previously the frame only was 7 series tubing. I have a silver 520 framed one but with Deore brakes and a recently added Recon 351 fork running at 100mm and it is a very capable machine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fliptophead
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the sale bikes as well – it’s now got old style Hope minis and the Fox F100 fork from my old sub-5 on it and is great.

Anthony
    Free Member

Ridden mine as my main bike for over a year and love it. I’ll admit the frame is only original part left now, but it has always been a hoot to ride before I started upgrading.

The cheapish steel still has that lovely whip about it a-la old Kona.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I bought one frame only and built it with tatty left overs, and it has been my main winter/mud bike. It’s a steel singlespeed with an old Kona style geometry, so what’s not to love…?

deuchars
    Free Member

Really great bike-got one kinda spur of the moment in the sales as a winter bike/something wouldn’t mind my kids using. However quite often prefer it to my main(rather swisher 853 ht) ride. Has nice planted feel-ok not same sort of spring you get with top-end steel frames but confidence inspiring,been round GT + Inners,gets me to work/the pub too all for think about £380 odd.If your kind of riding/terrain/knees! suit a SS then recommended-mine is an older gun metal one,not at all sure about this yr’s colour scheme….

RDL-82
    Free Member

would happily recommend it, i love mine, in fact it comes out to play more than the supposedly main bike. I got the 09 through the cycle to work thingy so only paying £380 but would pay full wack after owning it as its great value imo. Light enough responive and fun.

Only thing i dont love is the white forks, but have some carbons winging their way to me, just dont tell the missus 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Comments on the Genesis IO’ is closed to new replies.