Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Commencal Owners Club – where's it gone?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Need to go on to ask a question about my….Commencal.
    Has it cracked? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Kidding? It was(?) a good source of help and info

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

It was a Real Cycles sideline I believe who stopped doing Commencal AGES ago

wysiwyg
    Free Member

A cracking source you might say

hora
    Free Member

Ah someone should snap it up

connect2

I happen to be on the lookout for a Meta 5.5 rear triangle if by any chance………………

mc
    Free Member

CoC is in an archive on one of my external drives.

Bottom line is it was taking up space on the webserver that was needed elsewhere, and simply no longer had the traffic to justify keeping it going.

rascal
    Free Member

mc – did you used to run it then?
    Bugger…where’s a good source of Commie-related info now I wonder…have a question about making my rear end stiffer…

leeroybrown
    Free Member

What commie do you have?

rascal
    Free Member

leeroy – it’s a 2008 Meta 5.5.2 XT.
    Wondering if there’s a difference between a QR back wheel and a bolt through/maxle and how much faff/cost is involved – if anyone knows please let me know. Cheers

mtbel
    Free Member

Yes there will be a difference.
    Faff/cost depends on your hub not the frame.

rascal
    Free Member

mtbel – do you know form first hand experience?
    I have a Hope hub – currently running 9mm QR so need a conversion kit for that.
    The dropouts need replacing too.
    I specifically wanted that site as I toyed with the idea a few years ago and remember there being options on doing so (didn’t then as I had an XT hub which would only take a QR and involved a new wheel).
    I’ve not looked in much detail so am a bit clueless as to the best option.

jeff

not sure if this is helpful info but…

I ran a maxle on my 2008 meta VIP – real cycles sorted me out with a the drop outs + maxle.

Then had a hub axle snap (not the maxle) and then the swingarm developed a few cracks too…

I sold the maxle kit and sticking with QRs now. My thinking is that the maxle can’t have added much stiffness given where the swing arm was cracking.

Still love the bike! Realcycles sorted me out with an old meta SX swingarm (had to saw off the seat post stub to fit this but hey…) and that’s what I’m riding now. Prefer the look of it tbh.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I’ve done the conversion on mine to 12mm maxle
    I have some spare 10mm dropouts if there any good to you ?

mc
    Free Member

I maintained the site with Steve@realcycles providing the hosting.

Steve dropped Commencal after Madison stopped distributing them a few years ago(somewhere around 2011 IIRC), so it was going to be killed of at some point, as Steve’s main benefit from running it was for sales.

After Madison, Commencal went to Decade Europe (part of CRC), but have since gone the direct sales route ala YT/Canyon. The main benefit from this is they seem to be more responsive to direct enquiries.

As for the QR/bolt through/maxle question, it’s all down the dropouts.
    Depending on the model/year, those with a QR (10mm) option, would likely of had either 12mm bolt-through or Maxle dropouts available.
    I think most of the dropouts are shown on the commencal website, so you can see what’s available for your frame.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I vaguely remember reading about cracked hubs from some people who’d done the same.
    If that’s a possibility and there’s only a marginal benefit then I might not bother…it is quite flexy at the back but TBH it’s never really been a problem.
    If there’s a broken hub-free way of doing it then I might pursue that.

Whilst on the subject of older Metas, does anyone run a dropper post on theirs?
    Being a 2008 frame mine doesn’t have hose guides – I guess good ol’ zip ties to the rescue.

mc
    Free Member

The cracked hub axle issue was only a Pro2 problem from what I remember, which was made worse if you ran the then newer Maxle Lite with the tapered/reduced diameter in the centre, rather than the original Maxle which was 12mm end to end.
    It wasn’t a problem solely with Commencals, as I know a couple people who had the cracked axle problem running Maxles on Orange’s.

I think Hope possibly redesigned the 12mm Pro2 axle, as I’ve not heard of the problem for a while.
    Another option if you want to increase stiffness, is to go for a Hope bolt-up hub, which uses 10mm bolts (standard rear dropouts are 10mm for QR). I’ve ran one for a few years on my Ramones, and it’s a good option without having to spend a fortune on new dropouts/maxles.

Paul-B

I did a 12mm bolt thru conversion on my 2008 Meta with a Pro 2 hub. Never had a problem with it and it did make a difference. I didn’t use a Maxle though, Superstar used to do a 12mm axle which had a hex head one end and a big nut the other so used that. Still got the axle if it’s any use? Can send you a pic of the whole set up too.

Head tube cracked in the end which killed it off.

rascal
    Free Member

Hi Paul – I’d be interested in looking and perhaps acquiring your axle – YGM.

mamadirt
    Free Member

connect2 – Member

I happen to be on the lookout for a Meta 5.5 rear triangle if by any chance………………

Any good? http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=2017724 Based at HQ in Andorra I believe but great to deal with – quick shipping and replies.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Owners Club – where's it gone?’ is closed to new replies.