Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Commencal Meta 5.5 carbon; what's the crack?
  • reynard
    Free Member

Have a chance of one of these at a very substantial discount. I've ridden a sub 5 for the last ten years and have always enjoyed it, but it's getting a bit worn down now, and it's a good time for a change.
    So, I know that there was a cracking problem with the earlier Meta frames (2008 / 2009) but it also seemed to be the case that people who rode them were very positive about how well they rode.
    So, for anyone out there who knows a bit about this, by which I mean how well does the carbon frame Meta 5.5 ride and have there been many reports of it cracking, then I'd appreciate your thoughts. Even at a big discount a cracked frame would be a major disappointment, especially if it came after the 2 year warranty period, so, Commencal Meta 5.5 carbon or not, that's the question.
    tia 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Didn't Remy Absalom win the mega on one last year? I wouldn't buy one personally but they do look pretty sweet.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Alu ones from 2009 cracked in the same welds every time.
    Carbon one has… No welds.

Great Success!

domino

I think the carbon frames are made by a different manufacturer than the 2009 frames that cracked and in any case as barrykellet points out, no welds in carbon.

Mrdomino just sold his older Meta for a new carbon one and loves his new Meta.

chakaping
    Free Member

There was a brief review in one of the mags that seemed very favourable.

Think it was WMB or MBUK so maybe search Bikeradar?

Mister-P
    Free Member

All 2010 Meta 5 frames are made in a different factory from the 2009 ones. This year they are much improved. The carbon frames are very nice indeed.

gunners
    Free Member

errr wrong year chaps- it was the 2008 metas that cracked, 2009 onward were made with different tubes in different factory

Toasty

I understand you’re trying to sell one and all, but FAR more 2009 ones cracked than 2008. They’d claimed they’d fixed it in 2009 by changing the factory and adding more weight, but tragically the problems got drastically worse.

This year they claimed they’d fixed it again, sadly it was like the boy who cried wolf though and everyone still seems to have them written off, it’s a shame given the new 2010 onwards ones seem solid.

I’ve seen dozens of 2009 cracked, to be honest there’s even a cracked 2009 frame on ebay right now.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Is it a 2011 model? One of these?

neninja
    Free Member

I was tempted by a 2010 Carbon Meta 5 at half price until I saw a 3 week old 2010 Carbon Super 4 in 3 pieces on the floor of the local Commencal dealer.

It had snapped above and below the rear shock mounts and also in the middle of the down tube – the only thing holding the parts together was the cables and hoses.

Crag
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a bike thats gonna last the next 10 years then a Meta would be serious gamble.
    Great bikes when they’re not broke.

retro83
    Free Member

gunners – Member
    errr wrong year chaps- it was the 2008 metas that cracked, 2009 onward were made with different tubes in different factory

I heard of vastly more 2009s cracking than 08s. The 2010 ones seem to be rock solid, those carbon ones look great

grantway
    Free Member

Not heard or found any probs with the Carbon frame and
    was not made where any of the aluminium frames was made.
    And all seems to be sorted out on the 2010 Alu versions has they
    had them made else where.

Just check on there warranties for the Carbon frame
    as above no welds on the Carbon frame.

iain1775
    Free Member

gunners – Member

errr no your wrong actually
    2009 was the bad year, I know alot of people that had cracked ’09’s and just as many people (including me) with perfectly fine ’08’s
    For 2010 they changed factory, not heard of a single 2010 Meta 5breaking yet (think 2 Super 4’s and thats all)

Toasty

And all seems to be sorted out on the 2010 Alu versions has they
    had them made else where.

Who are you and what have you done with grantway?!

lifepath1
    Free Member

my brother had one, very nice.
    handled well and he’s nearly 18 stone

JohnnyPanic

had one

?

lifepath1
    Free Member

he sold it, best bike he ever built up bought a golf gti with electric
    everything

langy
    Free Member

I get it; vast difference from the sub 5 though – you may wanna test ride first.

I have an 08 meta4; it was the 09 alu’s that were not right as I was glad I didn’t hold out for one.

Carbon is from a diff factory who make carbon for a lot of other well known brands (but can’t remember who off top of my head!)

I’m trying to decide between a carbon super4 and carbon meta5.5 myself…

Xylene
    Free Member

Is it not probable that nobody has heard much of 2010’scracking because there are less out there being used due to the previous quality issues and a damaged reputation

grantway
    Free Member

Oh im here and very well thank you for asking Toasty
    Not changed the same old me 8)

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Is it not probable that nobody has heard much of 2010’scracking because there are less out there being used due to the previous quality issues and a damaged reputation

No. The 2010 bikes are considerably are a lot better made, even the untrained eye can tell that. 2009 was a very bad year.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I rode one to do the Passport this year and it was amazing, people keep banging on about them cracking but that was sorted out last year. I know my local dealer hasn’t had any issues with the 2010 bikes. People seem to think that cracking is only a Commencal thing well I have seen a couple of Zestys that are cracking around the Bottom Bracket.

Lifer
    Free Member

Love my 08 Meta 5, still going strong!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta 5.5 carbon; what's the crack?’ is closed to new replies.