Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Commencal Meta 5
  • spev

So, i’m looking at a Meta 5 frame only (to hang my Rohloff on) anybody got any info? Is there anything I should be aware of? Depending on funds it will either be a new frame from my local or a used one from ebay (specificaly a 2005/6 model)
    ta in advance

druidh
    Free Member

There’s been a couple of threads recently – do a wee search.

Some folk seem to think it doesn’t climb very well – others refute this.

There’s been a few cracked frames, although it’s difficult to tell just what sort of percentage this is and some of those have been attributed to inappropriate forks.

Paint finish is reportedly a bit variable.

They’re not the lightest.

Other than that, they’re massively capable, will do ups as well as down, the suspension system is great for tracking the ground – especially while climbing.

Oh – and I might be selling mine in the next few weeks.

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

Yep, mixed feelings on my Meta (’08). IMO it climbs better than my old Hustler with lots of traction and definately descends better, but on the single track the Hustler was more responsive (is this just down to the frame weight difference?).

It’s probably just a wee too much bike for my regular rides (Swinley etc.) but for the trail centers it’s great. I’ve bowed to the pressure of the 12mm Maxle kit for the rear (I hear it’s most effective on the ’08 model) and will be fitting that this weekend.

I’ve not had problems with paint.

Now if only I had the money for the carbon version …!

grumm
    Free Member

I take it you are aware of the deals Merlin does on them?

Great bike imo, I tested one and a mate has one and loves it.

retro83
    Free Member

Got one (’08) and love it. Vastly preferable ride with pro-pedal off as traction is greatly improved. Doesn’t really bob with it off either.

Initially built it up light with Revs and XC parts, gradually have turned it into a monster with Pikes, 2.3 High Rollers, 12mm rear Maxle etc.

It’s great fun! 🙂

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

As retro points out I aslo never felt the need to use the pro pedal which I guess is all credit to the suspension design.

retro – what effect has the 12mm rear maxle had?

spev

thanks all, i’d read a few of the previous threads and noted the ones that mention cracking but I guess theres a “frame is crap cos its cracked” story for every frame out there. As far as weight goes the frame weight of my Thorn Raven is near 6lb so i’m not too worried about weight (although I wouldnt want the overall weight to be too much over 32lb)
    Its mainly to replace the Raven and my (much underused) DH bike (which weighs 40lb)
    Waiting to see what the local shop says about price (hoping for a very good almost trade deal)

spev

Oh and Druidh, you selling frame only or complete bike? If its frame only what size is it and any pics for me to peruse?

stcolin
    Free Member

I’ve had my Meta 5.5.3 almost two weeks now and it’s going great so far. Still struggling to set up the rear shock correctly for me, but so far it’s a confidence inspiring bike. Rear end grips really well on technical climbs.

I believe cracked frames were due to a faulty batch, and have been replaced under warranty.

RealMan
    Free Member

Can you have a rohloff with a 12mm axle?

And does it have horizontal drop outs, or you going to run a chain tensioner? Or an EBB?

Shandy
    Free Member

Colin I ran my Meta with a lot less pressure than is suggested in the literature.

I find its best to really soften up the back. Then get the forks feeling right. Then firm the back up gradually.

spev

Rohloff is QR only (or bolt up) i’m going to use it with the Rohloff tensioner and speedbone, got some Pikes for the front. My idea is to use it for Brachfa Raven trail and the more technical stuff, also a bit of light DH (which is what I do on the Patriot 🙂 )

grumm
    Free Member

I don’t reckon it’s as tough as a Patriot – think ‘light DH’ might be what people were doing when they cracked their Metas.

richpips
    Free Member

Capable bike for blasting downhill. I did the MegaAvalanche on mine.

Never liked the low bottom bracket though.

stcolin
    Free Member

Colin I ran my Meta with a lot less pressure than is suggested in the literature

Thanks Shandy. The rear is running at about 150psi. I’m 6ft, 13st. Will knock a bit of pressure off that and see how that feels.

spev

mmm, I figure my light downhill is a lot lighter than you realise 🙂

the local downhill (Kilvey Hill) has a couple of big jumps but i’m not going too big on them with the patriot so I think the Meta (or similar) would be a more suitable and enjoyable bike ( I also hate pushing any bike up a hill )

retro83
    Free Member

JohnnyHuge- maxle stiffened the back end up . Probably not as noticeable as a 20 on the forks compared to qr but an improvement certainly. Apparently the 09 is better than the 08 for stiffness anyway.

stcolin
    Free Member

I think the old traingular swingarm was more stiff, torsionally.

Still, I much prefer the 09 swingarm, and it’s all about looks, right? 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Well, I’ve been convinced and should have mine (UK spec) by this weekend.

What’s the general concensus about that Larsen TT on the rear? Is it worth giving it a try or just selling it “unused”? (Lakes/Dales/Peaks/ Trail centres…)

and where can you get something akin to a chainstay protector for the swing-arm?

Cheers

stcolin
    Free Member

Ecky, CRC do an Endura swingarm protector, I have just got mine through the post, £5.99.

With regards the paintwork, my 3 is black, so it’s marked pretty badly already. Have about 5-6 frame patches on it though….

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

Old inner tube – cheap & cheerful and conforms brilliantly to the swing arm shape – very quiet too!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Cheers Jonny, I’ll give that a try.

thomthumb
    Free Member

don’t realy need to protec the swing arm – it’s enough out the way that copter tape is more than adequate.

imo it doesn’t climb long draggy climbs as well as some other bikes but when it gets really steep it excels.

coming down it is a lot more capable than i am.

i like larsen tt on the rear – actually i’m gonna put mine back on. thanks 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta 5’ is closed to new replies.