Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Commencal Meta 4 – anyone riding one?
  • thebrowndog
    Free Member

Looking at a 2nd hand frame for my son’s first full susser. He’s a strong 12 year old and the small has similar geometry to his hardtail, so wondering whether anyone here has experience of them. We mostly ride local trails and Swinley with the occasional visit to the jumps. Wondering whether they ride heavy, how they climb etc?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Had a friend who used to race XC on one, and loved it. I had a 5.5 VIP at the same time.

Good confidence building ride, can be ridden aggressively too, and that 4 will take 120mm forks if wanted. The swing arms can be a little flex, but easily stiffen up with a 10mm rear axle for about £10 if the rear wheel supports it.

Her 4 climbed really well, even my 5.5 wasn’t bad. The 5 would bob a bit when stood up peddling, but I guess you’d expect that on a full suss. Didn’t ride particularly heavy at all.

I know it’s not all on the specific model, but I hope that helps 🙂

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. I went ahead and bought it and built it up this morning. Should be one happy little boy this afternoon. Scratch homework though.

VanHalen

I loved my old one. Until it cracked.

bentudder

I had the earlier version with the looped swingarm. Nice bike, as said above, and very well suited to twisty stuff and anything requiring a bit of sprinting.
    The only thing I’d add is that if you don’t use enough air in the rear shock, it can feel *dreadful* – wallowy and sluggish. I’ve owned and ridden a bunch of single pivot bikes (Giant ATX, Marin Attack Trail, Orange Sub 5 and 5, Mountain Cycles San Andreas) and this was the only one to do this – possibly because of the linkage. Pay attention to getting the air pressure right, and it will feel amazing. not enough, and it’ll feel a bit rubbish. I think your son will be over the moon, by the way – enjoy!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7iutBf]Commencal Meta 4 VIP frame (M) for sale[/url] by bent udder, on Flickr

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta 4 – anyone riding one?’ is closed to new replies.