Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Comic Relief
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyone watching – who is the women in the silver skirt?

She seems to be presenting, but she’s not listed and we haven’t a clue who she is?

GrahamS

Watched a bit with the kids as they’ve been doing it at school.

Sat with my 3yo and 6yo watching that piece about with the 13 month old baby dying of malaria was tough!

But still an easier watch than most of the “comedy”.

ton

watching it myself. me and the wife have just looked at each other after another clip of orphans in africa, and both mentioned how cold or hardened we had become over such stuff.
    it might sound harsh, but why do people fall for this year after year.
    it is up to 48 million now. ffs give it to the nhs and home charities.

why we pour money into something that cant be mended is something i dont understand.

sorry it i seem a bit harsh.

MoreCashThanDash

Reeves and Mortimer with Susana Reid was painful, I had to go out the room.

This hot tub shit is annoying me as well.

The Love Actually revisit was good though.

tails
    Free Member

I think the lady in the skirt might be a presenter from celebrity get me out of here on ITV. I think it’s improved as a show,I used to find it unwatchable. Could do with knocking some of the dated comedy on its head though, I’ve seen that Cathrine Tate gag far too many times. I donated a tenner, wish these celebs would stump up some proper cash rather than pulling on my heart strings every year.

MoreCashThanDash

Ton – Comic Relief does support projects in the UK, partly why I support it.

Would be nice for a bit more comedy mind 🙄

tails
    Free Member

I’d certainly rather see them splurge all the money on a couple of projects and make a real difference then the current status quo

ton

Ton – Comic Relief does support projects in the UK, partly why I support it.

sorry, i should have said, i wish the money should only go to our charities.
    things like help the aged, the dementia charities, the young carers.
    these are the things that pull on my heart strings.

sc-xc

Luisa Omelian. A comic.

Ton, I disrespectfully disagree with your stance.

ton

sc-xc. not a problem mate.

sc-xc

I do love you Ton.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyway, my 2p no they can’t change the world, and and quite often the people they ask to ask us for money are quite wealthy (seems a big moan on twitter) but I bought the kids a bunch of red nose related stuff and donated £10 for my mates Kid who’s doing so massive walk over hill and dale most of tommorow for them.

sc-xc

It makes a bit of a a difference, and if it makes a bit of a difference to someone – overseas or not – I’m happy

/ naive?

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

pondo

Really poor – Love Actually revisit was half-decent, just not getting anything else, even from the people I know.

jekkyl

Hale & Pace as D’management:

H: this year we got asked to do Comic Relief.
    P: so I killed Jimmy Tarbuck
    H: and that’s a relief.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Whats going on? Are we usually allowed such comments as Ton’s on here without a complete flaming?

franksinatra

What’s going on with the audio?
    Its shocking.

jimdubleyou

Turned it off two hours ago and played playstation.

kimbers

Ton, I disrespectfully disagree with your stance.

absolutely couldnt care less what country people who receive my charity money live in.

they are all people, with exactly the same emotions and feelings as anyone else

Id just hope those most in need receive it

Fueled
    Free Member

Ton, out of interest, do you consider yourself a bit racist?

Tell me I’m over reacting if you like, but what you said up there blows the 17+ pages dithering over what to call a Chinese takeaway out of the water. IMO of course.

myopic
    Free Member

Regardless of the cause, which I fully endorse and have donated, the entertainment side of it is the direst shit I have endured for a long time. Yes, I know there’s a remote control to hand, but Mrs M thinks it’s good and she’s away all next week so I’m indulging her (go me 😉 )
    Edit: though now graham norton has just wheeled out another load of shit guests I can’t stand, this may be my opportunity to replace those brake pads I’ve been trying to find time for….

2nd edit: right that’s it, just as I thought it reached the nadir, I glanced over and she’s chuckling away. Then it was announced Russell Brand was on next. I swear her pupils dilated, just a bit. I’m off to the garage 👿

mattyfez

Is it still the case that charities maximise money by investing donations into various opaque funds, some of which are weapons manufacturers?

I seem to recall something like that a few years ago.
    Kinda self defeating if your donation to a war torn country is arming the people who make it war torn.

funkmasterp

I like the idea of it, but there is no comedy 🙁 could they not just broadcast episodes of Father Ted and run a banner along the bottom of the screen asking for donations.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Managed about 5 mins of it and switched it off, cringeworthy rubbish.

leffeboy

Is it still the case that charities maximise money by investing donations into various opaque funds, some of which are weapons manufacturers?

I would be very surprised if any charities actively do that now but that’s why you should choose the charities you give to carefully and thoughtfully if you care about those things rather than just respond ad hoc to a big campaign

However, big campaigns are fantastically effective, so long may they continue, however crap they are. As someone working for a charity we can use it all no matter how big or small

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

I didn’t read the comments by ton as racist. I read them as he wished we give home based charities all the money rather than projects abroad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thankfully people have a lot of choice in where they give to charity, you have a lot of control of where your donation goes to.

why we pour money into something that cant be mended is something i dont understand.

That is really quite harsh, what you are saying is it is probably best if people just die quietly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t think there is much that can be done to change the format of the show. We’ve had the same comedy celebrity schedule and sketches and comedians for decades, it’s become both a parody and institution. Familiarity clearly works because raising £70m+ in one night can not be sniffed at, so it just works. I don’t think turning it off or over hurts the programme, watching the programme for one whole evening is asking too much, but it’s well known that the format changes throughout the evening to capture different audiences, kids early on, drunk adults later and grandma in between.
    I am jaded now, not the format because I don’t expect anything else, but the same causes and the same pleads for cash, the same institutions the money goes too. I’ve been supporting it since it’s inception, I’ve seen the world around me change for both good and bad, but the continents the cash raised goes to don’t seem to have moved on since the 80’s, before even. So,what happens to the money? It’s a question I always ask myself.

But I still give, my donation has increased with the passing of time relative to my mood without the influence of the show. But the show does one thing for me, reminds me I’m one very lucky human living in a very safe comfortable place with all he luxuries surrounding me, and some I just throw in the bin.

I watch the first hour, the first 5 or so clips of the desperate and disparate humanity suffering centre me again from my disaffection.

I have no answer or comment on where the money goes, the professional charities decide based on their own criteria, but a lot of the money raised does end up in the U.K.

I did think to myself, Jonathan Ross looks remarkably like Des O’Conner… Which makes me realise just how long I’ve been supporting the cause because I remember him BITD in a T-Shirt being all shouty and funny.

theotherjonv

+1 SC-XC

£48M is a strange number. Yes, it’s a **** of a lot but at the same time it’s a tiny amount – less than a pound per person in the country. There’s a lot of people that don’t donate anything for charity at home or abroad. Which is fine, it’s a choice (I’d like them to be different but it’s their right not to be) – and I’m not getting into whether people can afford to be.

If we want to fund the NHS or ‘home’ concerns instead it should be through taxation. You can’t run the NHS on donations.

I think the other thing here is that such small amounts make a huge difference…… I was out last night so didn’t see much but they’re always banging on about how a mosquito net that saves lives potentially every night is like £3, or oral nutrition sachets for malnourished babies are less than a quid each. And so it’s like that starfish analogy…. just because we can’t so it, doesn’t mean we should do nothing.

The arms investment thing. A mate is a charity boss, and looks after investment strategy (with others). They don’t sit their money in the bank, they invest it to get more to do more, just like your pension fund manager, and while they always try to invest ethically, some of these funds are quite opaque. Also charities are often obliged by law / constitution to invest for best returns. So while investing in a wind knitting farm in the Outer Hebrides might be the favoured ethical investment, the payback is crap 😉

Better to have two ‘grubby’ pounds to change lives with than one clean one? YMMV, so might the kid that got the second sachet of oral nutrition.

bigG
    Free Member

The comedy was largely about as funny as pushing a pencil up my urethra, the films about the needy were moving as always.

As this was the one that was about “bringing the funny back” they failed really badly

jam-bo

ton – Member
    watching it myself. me and the wife have just looked at each other after another clip of orphans in africa, and both mentioned how cold or hardened we had become over such stuff.

POSTED 8 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

We live in one of the richest countries in the world. We should be able to do both.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@mattyfez

Large charities by and large invest their money and spend the proceeds on good work. Some people get upset that their donation isn’t immediately spent on mosquito nets or vaccines, but doing it the way they do ensures long term work which is better than short term to change lives.

In the past it’s been discovered that some money was invested with some hedge fund or other that in turn invested some money (in terms of shares) with a company who had a weapons division. This isn’t unusual if you’ve got a pension pot or a savings account it’s likely some of your money found its way to BAE Systems for example at some point.

Some of the gutter press got hold of it and even though their reporters are quite bright you would assume they twisted it into something akin to Lenny Henry buying Ex-Soviet AKs out of a factory in Estern Europe and selling them to the Talliban to be used against “our boys”.

It was created to offer people who don’t want to give money to anyone else the justification to think it’s all bullshit anyway.

It’s another example of the press twisting somthing to sell a few more papers in exchange for making Britain even more bitter than it already is.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ton,of course is just so far wrong it’s not even with engaging my with.

Does anyone think they would have shown a white or English kids dying on TV like that?

ton

Ton, out of interest, do you consider yourself a bit racist?

no.

I didn’t read the comments by ton as racist. I read them as he wished we give home based charities all the money rather than projects abroad.

which I stand by.

That is really quite harsh, what you are saying is it is probably best if people just die quietly.

no, I am saying that we have problems here in the uk that need sorting.

We live in one of the richest countries in the world. We should be able to do both.

we are obviously failing somewhere then.

Ton,of course is just so far wrong it’s not even with engaging my with.

no worries.

GrahamS

Does anyone think they would have shown a white or English kids dying on TV like that?

From what I saw they showed white English kids in some fairly dire circumstances. 🙁

I’d suggest that they didn’t show white English babies dying of malaria at 13 months old because that doesn’t happen?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no, I am saying that we have problems here in the uk that need sorting.

we are obviously failing somewhere then.[/quote]
    The nhs should be funded in full is taxation, education the same. The uk as one of the richest nations can afford to be charitable. Nobody is forcing you to give money to help people, as such have you can’t tell them where to spend it.
    The direct result of cutting aid to some of these areas is that people will die.

pictonroad

another clip of orphans in africa

Another one? How tiresome, it’s true that it’s easier to feel empathy for situations you can relate to.

You just have to force yourself to make the intellectual leap to understand those mothers who don’t look like ‘us’ and speak differently feel EXACTLY the same love anguish and heartbreak as ‘we’ do.

Personally I don’t care which country someone is in, suffering is suffering, the whole notion of looking after our own is baffling.

oldtalent
    Free Member

People have been dying in some 3rd world craphole since as far back as I remember. Does this fundraising make any difference, I dont know.
    I would rather the money stayed in this country. I feel I already contribute via compulsory taxation for foreign aid anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

, I dont know.
    I would rather the money stayed in this country. I feel I already contribute via compulsory taxation for foreign aid anyway.

How much did you give to comic relief? It’s not compulsory to donate. You can pick any number of charities to donate to.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

“From what I saw they showed white English kids in some fairly dire circumstances.”

Did it actually broadcast a film of them dying? I think showing a kid breathing his last on telly was quite extreme and wonder if somehow it was OK as it was African life

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Comic Relief’ is closed to new replies.