Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Comfort on the bike- without liner/padded shorts?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

So I will be honest and say that I have tried two liners in the past- some Fox and a pair of Sugoi. Both times I just felt it was too strange having a pad between my legs and it was annoying (and warm, I don’t like being warm in my shorts!)

I’ve been biking for 10+ years and always just accepted that on rides over several hours I would get a bit uncomfortable, however I reckon its worth trying to tackle this.

Happy to get measured up for width etc, open to chamois cream (I usually go commando under my baggys or use 3/4 tights when its colder) and happy to listen to any other wisdom.

ton

i have ridden for 35 years. never been able to wear padded shorts.
    they rub me raw and crease up and cut into my groin.
    also, my balls always seem to be held in the wrong place, which is obviously a pain.

i like to ride in a more upright position and this seems to help.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I got a couple of pairs of these while in France last summer as I’d not packed enough for the holidays:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/breathable-boxers-id_8337502.html

They’re surprisingly comfy if worn under MTB/DH shorts, but I wouldn’t recommend them for more than an hour or so….but you never know.

I do use chamois cream with my inners/bib shorts – like you, the padding and sweat gets uncomfortable. I used a product called ‘Chapeau’ for Mountain Mayhem solo last year, and only needed to change shorts once without any soreness at all. Sudocrem is always an option if nothing else works !

JoeG
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/OeN5iVVMfCI[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just get some comfy bibs? How long did you try them for? The pads come in various levels from bit of padding to hand crafted undercarriage holders. Part of it comes down to you get what you pay for. My nicer stuff has cut outs etc for pressure and a bit of breathing etc.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

mikewsmith….that’s true to an extent, although my experience hasn’t always followed that. For example, the most expensive shorts I’ve bought in the last 10 years have been Assos F1 Uno and Campagnolo, and the padding is excessively thick in regions where it really doesn’t need to be, and just bunches up. I now hardly ever wear those shorts, unless it’s no more than a couple of hours.

My £60 Lusso bib-shorts are the only ones with just the right amount of padding, and even my £15 Polaris liner shorts never give me any issues on long wet rides…but that is of course my personal preference 🙂

scotroutes

I reckon that, just like saddles, shorts padding is a pretty much personal thing. Sitting position affects it too – the same shorts/liners can feel completely different on a MYB and on a road bike.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m assuming the OP is wearing nothing under the padded shorts?

NB – this thread is absolutely fine without pics, thank you

cookeaa

I reckon that, just like saddles, shorts padding is a pretty much personal thing. Sitting position affects it too – the same shorts/liners can feel completely different on a MYB and on a road bike.

^^This^^

I wear and old pair of shimano branded bibs under my baggies the pad suits the more upright position on my MTB, I never got on with padded liners or boxers as they shift about, hence the chaffing and bunching, bibs sort this by staying put… IME at least.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Comfort on the bike- without liner/padded shorts?’ is closed to new replies.