Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Comet just flooded my kitchen
  • jordie
    Free Member

i had the fully trained engineer out today (one weeks course in slough) to fix our washing machine.Only the stupid c**t forgot to attach the waste pipe correctly and now i have a flooded kitchen oh and the washing machine is flashing the same error code as it did this morning. 😆
    life is just full of surprises

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Write. Email / letter. And phone. Their insurance will cover any damage. But they'll try and squirm out of any responsibility.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I had a builder forget to reconnect the pipe on the bath that connects to the plug hole.

after I had mopped up the mess and told him about it he just put on his best poker face and denied all knowledge – like fairies had come round, taken the side off the bath (that he had been working with that day), disconnected the pipe, and then put the side back on.

got the impression that this was his usual policy when faced with his own screw ups

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've had a garage forget to put the wheel nuts back on my wheel. And another open the rad cap immediately after pulling up into their forecourt.

Other peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me, hence I no longer trust other people to do my jobs – if anyone's going to cock something up, i might as well be mad at myself than someone else.

jordie
    Free Member

I know i really don`t know how some people still have jobs. I try and do most things myself but it was under warranty so they have to come out to look at it.

br
    Free Member

Other peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me, hence I no longer trust other people to do my jobs – if anyone's going to cock something up, i might as well be mad at myself than someone else.

Good post 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I had a British Gas engineer cut through floorboards with a circular saw which cut through the rad pipes and proceeded to flood the kitchen below.

Apparently it wasn't his fault because the pipes were too close to the floorboards.
    😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Had a Citroen technician leave a screwdriver under my Saxo bonnet – wondered why it wasn't shutting properly – it bent the bonnet.

But the MOST stupid was when working as a Geotec Engineer – service maps are vital when digging 3m deep soakaway pits although we also used scanners as back up. Shame they (and the scanner) forgot to "map" the the main jet fuel supply pipe to Heathrow. We missed it by less than half a metre…

5lab

I had a British Gas engineer cut through floorboards with a circular saw which cut through the rad pipes and proceeded to flood the kitchen below.

a circular saw? what was he thinking. Lucky there weren't any electrics there (my light circuit runs very close to the upstairs floor)

project
    Free Member

Damm thought this was about an alien invadeing your kitchen and pissing on the floor. 😥

Pook

I flooded our newly decorated and floored utility room two days after it was finished by not having put the waste pipe back in the washer. My gf was not amused.

She got me back a few months later by knocking a pot of undercoat onto my bike.

Swings and roundabouts. (but always less acrimony when it's your own mistake)

Xylene
    Free Member

I went to see my friendly local optician in Korea, when the lenses fell out of my glasses and I couldn't for the life of me get them back in.

They had a quick play with it then ran into the back room before I could stop them. I then heard the sound of a Dremel being used and my stomach sank.

Optician reappeared a few minutes later with lenses fitted. Amazing I thought, I worried for nothing. Until I put them on and the lens popped out again.

She had ground off the supporting ridge around the lens so that the lens could just be pushed in rather than clipped in 🙄

Ended up super-gluing it in place.

crazy-legs

A builder doing some work in the adjoining terrace house knocked through my wall recently. I came home from work to find a pile of rubble on the floor of the kitchen and a basketball sized hole at just above head height. The neighbour was obviously watching for me to arrive home and came running round all apologetic.

Apparently the builder had been fitting a joist next door and thought the wall was considerably thicker than it actually was! To be fair, he was really good about it, plastered it and re-painted the entire wall, he was just grateful that both I and my landlord were fairly cool about it.

sobriety
    Free Member

My only claim to fame is the time that me and my dad both assumed the other had tightened up the wheel nuts on a mini we were working on…

project
    Free Member

Muppets a few years ago connected the cold water suply to the hot supply and the hot to the cold, so when you flushed the bog it came out boiling hot.

Then they got another lot in to remedy the problem and they connected the gas main to the cold supply, when the water was turned on, the gas meter went mad in reverse, floded the gas main and transco had to come out to drain the gas main.

Gruff
    Free Member

this happened to some friends of mine when comet fitted their washing machine, however they never saw the leak that was filling up behind their cupboards and rotting the kitchen units and floor away till a long time after… Their insurance company is chasing comet hard!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My only claim to fame is the time that me and my dad both assumed the other had tightened up the wheel nuts on a mini we were working on…

As did my Dad when his MGBGT was "fixed" – my mum was driving it when a wheel flew off the bridge in Walton-on-Thames and is still probably at the bottom of the river.

clubber
    Free Member

Then they got another lot in to remedy the problem and they connected the gas main to the cold supply, when the water was turned on, the gas meter went mad in reverse, floded the gas main and transco had to come out to drain the gas main.

That really had me LOLing :mrgreen:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

a circular saw? what was he thinking. Lucky there weren't any electrics there (my light circuit runs very close to the upstairs floor)

I don't think he WAS thinking… But I was particularly impressed with how he tried to shift blame saying that the people that installed the pipes were in the wrong for having them too close to the floorboards (he may have had a point, but it didn't mean he was blameless). Muppet.

sobriety
    Free Member

As did my Dad when his MGBGT was "fixed" – my mum was driving it when a wheel flew off the bridge in Walton-on-Thames and is still probably at the bottom of the river.

The mini in question tried to shed both its front wheels on the A3! Fortunatley my mum made my dad stop and check where the horrible noise was coming from…

molgrips
    Free Member

If you get someone else in and they cock it up, you can hopefully force them to fix it at no extra cost… or sue them.

I once failed to tighten up wheel nuts on Passat #1. However, it being a bit of a project car I was hyper alert to any noises, so I stopped sharpish. Wheel was quite loose.

project
    Free Member

Then you have mupet customers, working in a bathroom 2 bare wires sticking through the ceiling, customer said its ok ive switched off the power, just pull them through the hole and rethread them further over.

Climbs into attic, pulls wires through hole, and then proceeds to push wires through new hole, as they are being inserted, a huge bang and a flash, he hadnt switched the power off,so really scared me,bit of an argument, with customer for being a muppet,

Result never trust anyone.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surely you should be checking that yourself? He might have thought switching the power off meant switching the socket off, he might not have appreciated that he had to isolate it at the mains.

That was your fault I say. 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The mini in question tried to shed both its front wheels on the A3! Fortunatley my mum made my dad stop and check where the horrible noise was coming from…

Dad's pick up truck, a Ford P100 (Cortina shape) with a 400bhp V8 stuck under the bonnet, snapped a propshaft on the A3 where is crosses the M25 near Ripley (Surrey). He took off and landed in a shower of sparks – doh!

project
    Free Member

I went there to reclad his ceiling with tounge and groove timber, not to be a sparky, and how do you check the power is off when you have no electrical tester.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and how do you check the power is off when you have no electrical tester.

If it was me I would check by going to the RCD board and making sure for myself it was switched off. I usually check twice even if I have done it myself (although I have still managed to electrocute myself twice 🙂 )

But fair enough if you aren't a sparky – not quite so much to blame 😉

revs1972
    Free Member

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

revs – eh?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I've done the wheel nuts thing – heard some rather nasty vibrations whilst travelling on the M62 and sorted out at a service station – very lucky the wheel didn't come off.

andytherocketeer

haha seen the wheel thing before. bloke presumably did the right thing pulling off the M4 at Reading Services after hearing noises, only to have the wheel go straight on while the car tried to take the bend like a tripod 😉

aP
    Free Member

A builder doing some work in the adjoining terrace house knocked through my wall recently

Oh, how nice it is that other people have never heard of The Party Wall etc Act

avdave2

a circular saw? what was he thinking

The right circular saw that can be set to the right depth i.e the thickness of the boards is ideal.Don't blame the tool it needs the idiot attached before it can do any real damage.

I've seen plenty of people do stupid things but nothing makes me madder than doing something stupid myself.

Oh and don't paint your wheels and then reattach to car without removing any paint from the bolt holes. They will come loose, luckily in my case quite quickly while driving slowly.

5lab

thing is, a circular saw will give you an ability to cut through 2 or 3 planks, but never one on its own (there will always be overcut by it's very nature). the tool for the job is a Fein.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I had loose wheel nuts I pulled onto the hard shoulder pronto. I consider that an emergency 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    A builder doing some work in the adjoining terrace house knocked through my wall recently. I came home from work to find a pile of rubble on the floor of the kitchen and a basketball sized hole at just above head height. The neighbour was obviously watching for me to arrive home and came running round all apologetic.

Apparently the builder had been fitting a joist next door and thought the wall was considerably thicker than it actually was! To be fair, he was really good about it, plastered it and re-painted the entire wall, he was just grateful that both I and my landlord were fairly cool about it.

The same thing happened to me this week. The builder was incredibly apologetic and his plasterer is coming round on friday to fix it.

Sui
    Free Member

plenty of DIY crackers whilst renovating my house. On to the auto side, a girl at work was complaining about her car making a really loud vibrating noise which was getting worse and worse. Well she'd already taken it to a garage, left it there for them to look at. They phone back later goin we've had it up, had a look and it's the driveshaft…

The symptoms didn't sound roight to me for a driveshaft, so she brings it into work, i have a look and low and behold the front nearside wheel is almost hanging off!!!! FFS the (unts let it leave the garage like that and tried to to rip her off…… since found that they failed a WHICH report horribly…

molgrips
    Free Member

I once got stuck in a bad queue going into Cardiff town centre. Saturday morning, but worse than usual. Turns out going round a crucial corner a car load of chavvy kids in a Focus had lost a wheel! Presumably just changed to stupid pimpy alloys and not done the wheel nuts up. Although it should make a hell of a noise, so they must've had the stereo on super loud not to notice it.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Comet just flooded my kitchen’ is closed to new replies.