Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • come on then winge bags – what do you want to read in ST???
  • sefton
    Free Member

I can never decide if I like the photography or if its pants????

Paceman
    Free Member

Ride features should include at least brief details of the bikes / kit used and how they faired on that terrain / trail conditions etc.

Reader’s rides / local loop feature would be nice.

smell_it
    Free Member

I’d like to see a round up of mtb’ing events from pro’s down to grass route level stuff. But to be fair I stopped reading any mtb mags a couple of years ago, as they just couldn’t hold my interest. So perhapsy opinion isn’t worth much.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

just find endless tests on products that I am very unlikely to buy and would just look on line for tests for specific products (maybe buy a magazine if I was looking for the products that they were testing that month)pretty uninteresting. Or route guide of places that I am very unlikely to ride not really relevant to me. Again I if I was going to an area to ride I would buy a guide book or search the internet. Feel at least with event and race reports there is something different to read about.

you are taking away their easy content fillers 😉

Think being a magazine is hard these day though, as there’s so much on line that sort of makes them a bit pointless apart from being something to read on the train.

so why replicate the content of a website?

emsz
    Free Member

Luved Jenn’s Tour Divide story a few months back, I was almost in tears, it was lovely. I like the layout, it’s not all over the place like some sports magazines, and it has a theme/feel that’s continuous. Luv the travel stories, people going to places you wouldn’t think of, it’s inspirational.

Hate reviews technical stuff, it’s dull. Tyres are tyres…

More stuff from girls POV

sefton
    Free Member

Ride features should include at least brief details of the bikes / kit used and how they faired on that terrain / trail conditions etc

exactly I don’t want a description of the terrain & weather!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not bought the mag for years, then bought last months. It now concentrates too much on high end stuff imo. I didn’t even bother reading the wheelset review because they were are stupid expensive, also the whole mag had a **** I’m middle aged, cool and lots of disposable income to waste on bikes. Didn’t used to be like that was just articles about riding bikes.

Being supercritical too some of the articles, you could tell that the writer was trying to write the most awesome article ever with prolific use of English language which quite frankly didn’t flow or come across as natural and that they had been busily using a thesaurus.

Sam

From my reading of the magazine I seem to recall articles pretty much along the lines of all of the suggestions in the OP.

I like almost all of the mag content – less of the ‘we went on holiday to this great place and got up in the morning had a great breakfast then rode a great trail’ type articles – though they seem to have dwindled recently. I think the overall quality of the articles has got better recently, and that’s only likely to improve with Jenn on board.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Despite my oft moanings along similar tones suggested by the OP, I actually quite like magazine as a concept. As a concept it a great format, a refreshing counterpoint to all the mass market lead shouty-shouty crap that exists on the shelves of WHSmith It’s just…

It so often falls so short of the mark. And is an especially massive disappointment as a result. I can tolerate MBUK falling short of the mark, because it’s just a big fat joke of a magazine.

1) Firstly: The printing, graphic design, photographs.

These are generally all very weak, let down by bad printing, and lack impact. If these were improved greatly, I’d love the mag a lot more. The thing is once you’ve read all the drivel in between the pictures (in any mag), the one thing that can remains engaging for months, years even, is the pictures – if they are good and well presented. What’s more is that I find really good images of biking in awesome places completely inspiring. Far more so than Benji or whoever ranting endlessly on about ‘get on your bike more!’.

Which brings me on to my next point:

2) The editorial stance:

It often appears to be quite tiresomely self-serving and parochial, even patronising at times. This is a massive turn-off as a customer of the magazine. I don’t need to be preached to, I don’t need to be told to get out and ride more (I already do too much, to be honest), I don’t need to be told about some ‘really great stems / forks / packs / bars for riding down steep rocky steps in Calderdale’.

Which brings me to my last point…

3) What to fill it with?

Obviously, this is very subjective. But I tend to like looking at pictures of shiny-shiny new stuff, and pictures of awesome riders riding in awesome places, coupled with some of the incisive, subtle insight that ST can sometimes provide. There was once an article on ‘Zen moments’ that I thought was particularly wonderful, with photos that truly supported the transcendent theme of the article. Despite often presenting lots of shiny new stuff on the website, for some reason this aesthetically engaging drool-worthy stuff gets sidelined in the mag for another one of Chips’ rants about ‘riding different bikes’, or ‘getting fitter this year’, or the ‘we got up in a B&B after having a few beers the night before and had breakfast, and then rode a muddy trail in the middle of winter’ type articles. Yaaaawn.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Autocar style tests. Scientific numbers for fork/wheel/frame/chainset stiffness, deflection, damping etc.

rootes1

I would like some more tech.

I have a theory about the obsession with head angles… might write in with a suggestion for an article

Pook

BRING BACK THE STUFF ABOUT THE FORUMS!

RustySpanner

More mid range/budget stuff:
    Test some gear from Aldi/Decathlon/DHB against the more expensive, established names.

Test cheaper bikes.
    I’ve never paid more than £1500 for a bike and doubt I ever will.
    Most of the tests are of no interest to me whatsoever.

Compare some skills courses. Take some beginners and some more experienced riders and try a few out – how do the different approaches work in real life?
    Same thing with the various bike fitting services.
    Would they make a difference?

More interesting stuff for newer riders:
    Easier trails, show a newer rider training/preparing for their first race. Small, achievable goals.

Ask the industry some awkward questions:
    Why are your bikes so expensive?
    Why does all womens clothing stop at size 12? etc.

rootes1

Why does all womens clothing stop at size 12? etc

does it?

sefton
    Free Member

you’ve lost me 😐

RustySpanner

Several female friends have mentioned that it’s pretty hard to find anywhere that stocks larger size womens clothing.

Also, apparantly much of the European stuff comes up very small.

Not great when trying to get people who aren’t already athletic to take up cycling.

mr_mills
    Free Member

It should be illegal to be fatter than a 12 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

I think it’s generally pretty good. Maybe a bit too heavy on the moody green, picture-led features for my liking (but I like reading words more than looking at pics).

More full-face helmets would be nice. 😉

Also I did laugh this morning when I saw that Mike Ferrentino’s latest column was about the internet (again), I’m sure it’ll be very witty and illuminating when I read it though.

LapSteel
    Free Member

A cartoon
    A free keyring
    A serialised Crime novel
    A knocked up in my shed section where readers show off their ridiculous creations
    More articles about Todmorden
    A featured readers story…eg how I saved this bike from the canal and now look at it!
    Agony aunt

RustySpanner

mr_mills – Member

It should be illegal to be fatter than a 12 😛

🙂

stumpyjon

Already been said but i’d like more local stuff about local people. There’s loads happening on their doorstep! PMBA, Gisburn Forest (to be fair Lee Quarry has had exposure). We keep saying the mountain biking community isn’t organised like the ramblers or equestrians. There are groups out there trying to do something about it, they could do with some help. The access articles have been excellent as are most of the UK ride features.

I’m not personally too bothered about racing (local racing maybe), interviews with top riders or articles about riding across the Himalayas, at least not every magazine.

Product reviews could be a bit more cutting as well, seem to have gone a bit soft recently. If I’m not actually looking to buy something I always read the bad write ups first. Other than that most of the products reviews are good.

I want to be able to sit down each month and find a few articles that interest me, are relevant to me and are worth spending 30mins reading.

Article suggestions:

Views from a regular trail builder, we’ve got loads of spleen to vent and possibly some interesting things to say as well.

How about follow someone building their first bike from scratch, you could go through the buying process and then follow the build, buying the wrong mech, rounding out a few bolts, the first frame chip. That’s something many of us can relate to and may inspire a few more people to attempt building their own bike.

Views from grass roots race organisers would be good (Brownbacks anyone).

More musings on sustainability / rights etc.

Maybe a trail centre vs natural riding article.

Got to be a piece on the differences in trail centre grading.

Helmet debate???

Whatever the forum is talking about!!

cheese@4p

Viz style cartoons and TOP TIPS
    Liven up the Trail Guides with pervy sex and class A drugs

mr_mills
    Free Member

Rusty – what are you then? 14? Too many cakes.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

Views from grass roots race organisers would be good (Brownbacks anyone).

we are a collective and so could be an interesting “range of views” 😉

Jenn managed to get us two pages in MBUK in 2009 which we really appreciate as it was a high point in all the print media coverage we’ve ever had. Although it may have been a bribe not to mention that she fell off on a “more technical than you think, honest!” section on the practice lap for our first ever race breaking a bone in the process 🙁

whether or not she breaks the STW “duck” on not even showing their face to see what actually happens on a Sunday is another thing, it would be nice if we could get some exposure for our generous sponsors who give us the best prize list for a grass roots chipper race around including one of Jenns favourite topics in racing prize parity for the women!!!

however they have given us quite a few “subs in a bottle” which go out to the marshals and riders as a thankyou for borrowing the our kit for the weekender which is great (and yes they all go out, we don’t keep any) 😀

2011 series finale 2nd October, riders and Marshals wanted
    http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

dadster21
    Free Member

It would be good to get more info from the IMBA and, in particular, what we as individuals or clubs can do to get more out of this group to enables greater awareness and access for MTB activities. Looking at the membership of bike clubs on their website shows a very low engagement level. Perhaps we are all individual members?? I am seeing a change in the general publics perception of MTB (was a freak, then a geek, now chic!). But we do lack a single voice when it comes to really fighting our cause. So perhaps a regular article from IMBA about what they are doing to help us and what we can do to help IMBA.

yunki
    Free Member

mostly I want more dreamy sentimental stuff with more ponderings and rugged backdrops with some real riding and grit

and no product testing and tech stuff.. I really don’t want a mag full of shiny kit.. that’s what shops are for..

if the mag were to listen to many of the comments in this thread it would be in very severe danger of dumbing down and becoming everything that it’s proudly never been..

GW
    Free Member

what would you like to read in there?

Nothing! it’s written by folk I have almost nothing in common with.
    Actually saw it in the ocal(ish) newsagents a couple of hours ago and wasn’t even tempted to pick it up for a quick flick through.

maxray
    Free Member

the whole mag had a **** I’m middle aged, cool and lots of disposable income to waste on bikes.

You would imagine that the people who write the magazine have got older and have more disposable income than when they started out?

TBH I still like the mag, I like something tactile to read that is a little more adult than MBUK etc. Not sure it is as good as it was 4 or 5 years ago but that could be rose tinted glasses.

I like the fitness/diet stuff quite alot, would be good to have some articles in this area aimed at the general populus not just people who are racing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Cutting edge investigative journalism which exposes the darker side of the bike industry……

user-removed
    Free Member

I quite like it the way it is. Sorry. My wife really enjoyed the article written by the new lass if that’s any help?

wallop

I wouldn’t change anything. I like reading about the big UK/foreign rides, I like the photography, I like the layout and lack of multi-coloured editorial vomit that you get in other magazines. It’s simple. There’s not too much content – other magazines have snippets of everything crammed in all over the place, whereas reading ST makes me feel serene and relaxed!

Other magazines live next to the toilet. Singletrack lives next to the bed.

sefton
    Free Member

if the mag were to listen to many of the comments in this thread it would be in very severe danger of dumbing down and becoming everything that it’s proudly never been.

hey I asked what readers of the magazine would like to read and they answered!

if your happy with the whole contents at present great!

if not lets hear why and what you would like to read

come on this can only be positive!

Pook

product reviews not led by advertising

yunki
    Free Member

if your happy with the whole contents at present great!

if not lets hear why and what you would like to read

mostly I want more dreamy sentimental stuff with more ponderings and rugged backdrops with some real riding and grit

and no product testing and tech stuff.. I really don’t want a mag full of shiny kit.. that’s what shops are for..

🙂

sefton
    Free Member

is that a touch of Sarcasm?

yunki
    Free Member

no no..

just pointing out that I already answered your question in my original post..

to me cycling is a very sentimental and idyllic thing to do.. a simple pleasure.. I prefer it not to get too bogged down with technology and marketing.. 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

ok your forgiven!

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

It’s perfect as it is:
    – if you live in Todmorden / Hebden Bridge
    – if you like riding down steps
    – if you like riding shitty bikes covered in tents and stuff across a Third World country and enjoy seeing photos of poor local kids pawing over your crappy bike, as if it is some sort of metallic Jesus that’s just walked out of a spaceship
    – if you know one or more of the people who write for it and/or ride with them occasionally
    – if you enjoy interviews with people who have vague links to cycling “Next month: Interview with Rupert Fleming, grandson of the inventor of the toe strap”

To be fair, I buy it and sometimes read over half of it. Occasionally, I like a couple of the articles.
    Their tagline could be “Singletrack: Not as good as Dirt but better than MBUK, MBR and WMB”

longwayhome
    Free Member

Like Stoner said way back at the start of all this.

More technical stuff, how things actually work, pictures of things taken apart so you can see what all the bits look like.

I think if you understand how things work you can make an informed decision as to whether the lastest must-have/new standard really will be any use.

sefton
    Free Member

It’s perfect as it is:
    – if you live in Todmorden / Hebden Bridge
    – if you like riding down steps
    – if you like riding shitty bikes covered in tents and stuff across a Third World country and enjoy seeing photos of poor local kids pawing over your crappy bike, as if it is some sort of metallic Jesus that’s just walked out of a spaceship
    – if you know one or more of the people who write for it and/or ride with them occasionally
    – if you enjoy interviews with people who have vague links to cycling “Next month: Interview with Rupert Fleming, grandson of the inventor of the toe strap”

To be fair, I buy it and sometimes read over half of it. Occasionally, I like a couple of the articles.
    Their tagline could be “Singletrack: Not as good as Dirt but better than MBUK, MBR and WMB

all good my friend – but what would you like it to feature?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘come on then winge bags – what do you want to read in ST???’ is closed to new replies.