• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by anc.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Combining routes – Ullock Pike & Back o' Skiddaw
  • kevj
    Free Member

I’m planning a day over the Lakes in early December and having read the top 10 descents thread,the Ullock Pike ride is high on the list atm.

I have done the back of Skiddaw route before and when looking at the Ullock Pike route, it seems to have the same road linking section?

Looking at the map, there is nothing stopping me parking up around Melbecks, following the track over to Skiddaw House, down Glenderaterra then pick up the climb onto Skiddaw / Ullock at Whit Beck?

It seems like it is too easy to combine the two to pick up the best of both and miss out the road bits or am I missing something?

d45yth
    Free Member

You need to be careful with the weather on this one…any ice on the top bit down Carlside could be very interesting! 😯 It’s smooth and hard-packed on that bit, more like a very steep trail centre!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

+1. It’s worth having a plan B up your sleeve – if there’s snow on the summit you’d probably have more fun descending north via Bakestall. It’s also a bit of a pig navigating the summit if you’re in the cloud.

kevj
    Free Member

Cheers, will definitely have a plan b.

Looking to drive over for an early start so if the weather is looking poor, we might head toward Grizedale or somewhere more sheltered.

I did the Borrowdale bash last year and when I set off from Keswick, it was -8 deg and apart from the frozen streams, the route itself wad generally rideable.

d45yth
    Free Member

I ride in minus temps myself, the rougher, rockier or softer the trail, the less of a problem with ice. It’s the hard, smoother stuff that’s dodgy…the descent off Carlside will be like a toboggan chute!
    The Borrowdale Bash doesn’t gain much height either, a bit different to the top of Skiddaw.

kevj
    Free Member

d45yth

I ride in minus temps myself, the rougher, rockier or softer the trail, the less of a problem with ice. It’s the hard, smoother stuff that’s dodgy…the descent off Carlside will be like a toboggan chute!
    The Borrowdale Bash doesn’t gain much height either, a bit different to the top of Skiddaw.

Oh, I totally agree. I was hoping not to do the Borrodale Bash in similar weather as I did the last time and hit that during the summer months.

Can anyone recommend a good ‘plan B’ route should the conditions be poor?

mchlptchr
    Free Member

I did the Ullock Pike, Back o’ Skiddaw combo last month starting from Threlkeld.

Brilliant day out!!

anc
    Free Member

I ride in minus temps myself,

When….? You usually hibernate all winter!! 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Combining routes – Ullock Pike & Back o' Skiddaw’ is closed to new replies.