Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Combi Boiler interfering with TV signal
  • daveturnbull
    Free Member

Recently my boiler has started to interfere with the freeview TV signal when it turns on to supply hot water. It’s getting quite annoying, so I need to do something about it.

A quick google suggests that this is fairly common, and it’s most likey that the thermostat is dying. My boiler is an Alpha CB24 and from what I can make out only has one thermostat, which is effectively an overheat protector. I don’t see how this could be causing the interference, as it would only do anything when the boiler gets too hot.

Anybody else experience something similar? What did you do to fix it?

jota180
    Free Member

I’d have a look at the shielding on the aerial downlead first, dodgy connectors etc.

totalshell

i fit hundreds of these things and NEVER had one intefer with any thing else other than another boiler.. always amusing when someone else turning up there thermostat brings you ch on as well.. one of my customers subjected me once to a long detailed explanation of wave lengths and all things geeky and said it couldnt happen in practice.
    #

Cougar

I’d have a look at the shielding on the aerial downlead first, dodgy connectors etc.

+1. Coaxial connectors are often wired poorly, and are generally awful to start with. And rain tracking down the cable can give you a really bad day.

stumpy01

Is it just a second or two of interference?

When our old, normal boiler fires up, it messes up the DAB radio in the kitchen for a second or two. Basically, there’s a 2 second pause in output (not sure if it stays on or not) and then it all resumes again as normal.
    I assume that it’s something switching (and it’s some kind of interference through the mains), seeing as it’s only for a short time. I wonder if it could be the motorised valve in the airing cupboard?

Flaperon

More likely the igniters causing the interference if it only happens for a few seconds at start.

daveturnbull
    Free Member

The interference lasts for the entire time the boiler is running, hence why I’m thinking it’s not a switching device that’s causing the problem.

unovolo
    Free Member

Got a Wireless thermostat/central heating controller?

If it’s only on the hot water operation it’s unlikly to be thermostat related. In the old days hairdriers used to cause interference issues. Mostly down to poor shielding on the cables.

stuey
    Free Member

spark gaps / ignition coils are great a producing wide frequency radio interference – could be the coil or its suppression ‘on its way out’?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Combi Boiler interfering with TV signal’ is closed to new replies.