Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Columbus ‘Life’ Niobium vs 853
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I was quite set on going 853 for a custom 29r frame build, but full 853 is fraught with problems, so I’ve looked elsewhere – especially to Columbus Life (niobium) tubing.

Super strong, thinner walls, triple butted and super light (’bout the same as alu) and apparently a comfortable compliant ride too

Anyone any experience with it?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Why not 853 and a normal tubed back end?

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m liking the idea of a curved TT so pretty much rules out 853 there too so it only leaves the DT & ST 853…

brant
    Free Member

So “they” can curve a thinner harder steel top tube?

bonesetter
    Free Member

😉 No – not in that thin a gauge tube – TT will need to be different, unless Mark Reilly can give the standover with a straight tube

I still think you ought to build it for me and save me all this grief

bonesetter
    Free Member

Well, developments!

Decided to go full Columbus Life. Going to check if TT can be bent easily otherwise we’ll go 631 for that. Hoping for a 4lb frame, stronger (and alot lighter) than the 853 with big strong tubes too

Chain stays 17″ 😯

Norton
    Free Member

I think my Scapin is Columbus Spirit – v light for a steel frame and pretty stiff – but not the most comfy I’ve riddden though.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is your Scapin a MTB?

ampthill

Stronger and lighter? Sounds a bit magical to me

properties of tubes

bonesetter
    Free Member

Taken from your link above (Strong Frames)

The extreme strength of this alloy allows Columbus to draw the tubes to thinner specifications than ever before, down to 0.38mm!…This tubing is marginally heavier than aluminum while still possessing the strength and ride qualities of steel.

What’s the magical part?

(We all want a bit of magic in our frames don’t we? 😉 )

bonesetter
    Free Member

The only thing I’ve picked up about tubesets such as Life and Spirit is as they are ultra thin walled, the tubing can be vulnerable to denting from mis handling or stones

Norton
    Free Member

Yes Scapin is a MTB (Nope) – no problems with dents etc in 3 years use

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Columbus ‘Life’ Niobium vs 853’ is closed to new replies.