Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • coloured lens/diffusers for night riding.
  • dreednya

Do you know where you can get these, that 'warm up' the white light of LEDs/HIDs?

I seem to miss holes and the like on rough terrain with a helmet mounted HID and wondered if these would help as I reckon it could be the harshness of the light that is causing the problem.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :o).

coffeeking
    Free Member

The reason you helmet mounted light makes you miss potholes is the fact that the light is coming from very near your vision point so shadows are not cast in a way that lets you see them, so your depth perception goes to pot. Mount your light on your bars, it'll improve depth perception massively. Any sort of filter or diffuser will reduce total light output. However I wonder if yellow filters would aid due to not wiping out your eyes night vision chemicals as white/blue light does. Problem is that white LEDs dont output the whole range of wavelengths, so a yellow filter will cut a vast quantity of light out.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

What CK said.

i use a halogen helmet light and an LED bar light, the differential in colour temperatures helps to aid depth perception and the addition of yellow glasses can also help with contrast.

you can't 'warm up' LED light, it doesn't have the necessary wavelengths, this is why halogen and discharge lamps are still used for TV/studio lighting.

what you are talking about is colour transfer, a filter that only lets through certain wavelengths to match different light sources to a common standard (usually 5600K) making a uniform colour. There is no CT filter available to make white LED anything other than around 8000K. The addition of amber LEDs goes some way to correcting the light colour temperature by colour mixing as opposed to colour subtraction like filters.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you can get filters to warm up HID though but HID colour temperatures vary quite a bit, you'd need to know what CT the HID light was and then get filters from LEE filters or ROSCO filters

dreednya

Thanks guys for the inputs :o). I'll have a look at the Lee or Roscoe filters for use with a Hope HID.

Surfr
    Free Member

Dave, I have sample books from a few filter gel manufacturers. You are welcome to a couple if you know the colour you want. Probably have 300 colours in total

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Pfft. You want two of these and some gaffer tape:

night vision

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘coloured lens/diffusers for night riding.’ is closed to new replies.