Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Colour coordination of components……
  • topangarider
    Free Member

They're seems to be a fair bit of this coming back like in the mid nineties on parts like skewers, hubs etc.

If you were to do it with finishing kit – what should match. Like if I had a white stem, what else should/shouldn'y be white?

yossarian
    Free Member

black headset + white stem + black bars + white brakes + black shifters + white grips

black seatpost + white saddle or vice versa

pedalhead
    Free Member

Personally I reckon ideally forks/saddle/grips should match, the rest of the bike should be another (consistent-ish) colour. All this multi-coloured cables/cranks/mechs etc looks a bit minging imho.

topangarider
    Free Member

mmm…this is pretty much what I'm aiming for except saddle and seatpost are black (but saddle had white bits)

Gary_M
    Free Member

bar/stem/seatpost should match if possible as in the same brand/model line, stem/seatpost acceptable of thomson.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does no one else think it looks a bit "teenager"?

topangarider
    Free Member

no.

yossarian
    Free Member

Does no one else think it looks a bit "teenager"?

not really, bikes are meant to be fun.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with matching bar, stem and post.

Cougar

I'm a girl about this, I freely admit. My bike is black with charcoal detail and looks a bit 'flat', so I've taken it upon myself to accessorise in a single colour. So I've got a red pump, red pedals, and will be looking for other red detailing when I upgrade bits. I've got an irrational need for the Hope 'Grip Doctor' bar ends too, mmmm shiny.

topangarider
    Free Member

go for red crank bolts!

Frizzer
    Free Member

My bike is black with a bit of red thrown in :
    decals, headset, hubs and nipples and the clamp parts of my lock-on grips.

Any more than that would be a bit over kill IMO.

willard

My last bike (sadly stolen) had Panaracer Fire XC tyres with the accents to match the frame colour. It looked a bit pimp, but the rest of the kit on the bike was black.

My new bike have black components only. The frame is a nice champagne colour.

tinsy
    Free Member

There isnt a set rule to making it work, some things just do, and some dont, its all eye of the beholder.. Bolt it on and ride it. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have matching red cranks and pedals. Must take a picture… 🙂

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Stem and seatpost should match..
    Bar and stem should not though.
    Saddle and grips should, as should cranks or BB and hubs.
    Seatpost clamp should be a complimentary colour and definitely not matching colour to the frame, unless they are both black.

I don't think any of my bikes meet many of these criteria.

Daffy

I always co-ordinate a bike around the frame.

Ti – bikes are harder. They tend to best suit understated, hence why my Ti roadbike and Ti SS look pretty much identical in colour co-ordination.

[EDIT] NONE of my stems, seatposts or bars match on a particular bike, but do match on the whole fleet 🙂

Bontrager XXX stems,
    Easton Carbon bars,
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Oh, and tyres should never ever be the same colour as the frame. Ever.

Bedds
    Free Member

likewise, my bike is black..

finishing kit is all gold..

wheel and seat post QR's, headset, I've also got it running singlespeed so I bought some stunning Velo-solo black and gold spacers.

I've also got black odi lock on grips with gold lock rings 8)

Daffy

bikewhisperer – Member
    Oh, and tyres should never ever be the same colour as the frame. Ever.

Dammit – just bought some whitewalls for the IF. FAIL!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Bar, stem & post should match.

Grips & saddle should match.

Hubs should match each other (mine don't…)

Nice contrast between frame & fork. Matching frame & fork looks a bit Halfords to me!

iain1775
    Free Member

green anodised bits on mine now to go with the highlights / lettering on the black frame – brakes & rotors, bottom bracket, seatpost clamp, lock on collars, headset, jockey wheels, valve caps chainring and bottle boss bolts all green

black componants to match frame but white stem plate, saddle and gear cables

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can we gets some pics up of these vanity-monsters? 😀

ourmaninthenorth

When I built my Soul 5 years ago, the all black stealth look was in. I succumbed.

Now I look at it and think it looks gash.

Does this help the discussion? 😉

falkirk-mark

All components black or silver (no garish purple hubs (you will regret it in two years)) not many black parts on a black bike. Sorry ourmaninthenorth 🙄

huws
    Free Member

I’m of the opinion that there are only 2 ways to do it. Subtle or all out.

Subtle 1. All black soul with orange bars. It looks like Florence Welch.

Subtle 2. Green inbred with silver cranks, pedals and finishing kit and white highlights. saddle, grips and rims. (unfortunately still a work in progress).

All out. Neon green Blood, glittery blue rims, purple bars, white brakes and pedals. soon to be updated with yellow grips and orange chain guide.

The rules should be:

1. Never do ever little bit you can in the same colour it’ll look far too early 90’s, one big statement is better. Bars or chain are good.
    2. It has to match perfectly, similar colours are never acceptable.
    3. Never use red or gold. Too easy.
    4. Tyres are too important to just buy them because they match.

Have a look around at some of the fixies and BMX’s anything happening there will eventually filter down to the world of mountain bikes. Even Moustaches.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I'm a proper tart when it comes to this.

One bike is black anodises with all red bits like skewers, spacers, clamps, headset, grips, saddle co-ordinates with grips, wheels have red & white stickers etc.

SS bike has bartape to match the wheels (both catalyst/atomic green) with chromed bars, stem spacers, headset, post, clamp and hubs.

Roadbike is all red/white/black even pedals and cages.

It's the right way to do things, even coordinate clothing 🙄 😳

takisawa2

Black. All black. The darker the black the better.

Cougar

"tyres should never ever be the same colour as the frame. Ever."

That's me buggered then, with a black bike.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Black and silver bits across the board on both bikes.
    Too much colours just looks like something from the early '90s.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

"tyres should never ever be the same colour as the frame. Ever."

That's me buggered then, with a black bike.

Hmm.. a good point well made. I've heard it argued that black is not a colour. Does that help?

_tom_
    Free Member

Not intentionally but my bikes becoming a bit colour coordinated. Silver hub, crankset and bars/bar ends on bluey grey frame. I just need a silver seat clamp, headset cups and rear hub to finish off the look 😀

ken_shields
    Free Member

I like to colour coordinate my bikes because I think it looks better so I'll change a seatpost clamp for a different coloured one if it looks better. I have even changed the decals on a fork as the original ones clashed with the rest of the finishing kit

I agree with Huws that either subtle or all out are the way to go

Huws
    Have a look around at some of the fixies and BMX’s anything happening there will eventually filter down to the world of mountain bikes.

very true……niche stuff tends to set the tone as that's what the dsigners are riding/looking at

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Put what you think looks good to you on it, instead of being a fashion victim/group follower? 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

white grips are a big no no for me, pointless in this country. My jump bike was bought 2nd hand – an identiti 666 in bright green with matching bright green halo tyres-looks ridiculous and makes me a little embarrassed when riding it but i like the tyres so living with them until they are worn out then i'll replace with black versions. Subtle is def the way to go imo.

Pook

this has now got RED chain ring bolts. And I've taken it out of the stream.

smoothchicken

Keep it to 'collar and cuffs' and not like an old schoolmates XR3i which was colour coded in 15 different shades of red of various Halfords bargain bucket plastic add on's!

For the record my bike's black with red stem, spacers, QR skewers, seat clamp, jockey wheels, chainrings and bar end plugs…oh dear, fashion victim!

nickc

As with most things fashion-wise the motto "less is more" never fails

holly
    Free Member

I had the pee taken out of me at the Mountain Mayhem 05 cause I had a very pretty bike.
    Purple/Red nipples alternating on each wheel.
    Red cassette
    Red bar ends caps
    Red floating carriers
    Red brake levers and red reservoir caps etched with the girlfriends name.
    Red seat clamp
    Red hubs
    Gold caliper centers
    Most of it was Hope

My new bike is going blue and purple, its an expression of my ego

BigDummy
    Free Member

All black soul with orange bars. It looks like Florence Welch

Love this idea. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Colour coordination of components……’ is closed to new replies.