Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Colour Blind what issues do you have?
  • Klunk
    Free Member

Friend of ours was on the radio the other day after complaining about a UEFA game:

if it did discriminate against 8% of the population then there were probably 2 players out there who couldn’t tell the teams apart 🙂

franksinatra

sobriety – Member

TELL US WHAT THE MUG SAYS!!

World’s best Dad, obviously

Stop teasing

GrahamS

These may be useful to people who want to figure out what the mug says:

Chrome Daltonize:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/efeladnkafmoofnbagdbfaieabmejfcf

Daltonize Bookmarklets:
    http://daltonize.appspot.com/

rewski
    Free Member

My wife just told me what the mug says… Tut 😀

mrjmt
    Free Member

I watched this ted talk by a guy who is totally colour blind and invented a doo-dad so he could hear different colours by converting the colour to an audible frequency. He now has a wider range of colour vision than a human can see.

I did trial the contact lens that was around 10 ish years ago. Was rubbish, just made me feel a little sick and reduced my ability do distinguish certain colours!

mrjmt
    Free Member

These may be useful to people who want to figure out what the mug says:

Chrome Daltonize:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/efeladnkafmoofnbagdbfaieabmejfcf

Daltonize Bookmarklets:
    http://daltonize.appspot.com/

Can see the 71 (?) on the previous page, but still can’t see what the mug says.

GrahamS

The 21 on the previous page is a 74 (or at least it is to me) so I suspect if you see 21 it isn’t tweaking all the colour hues you need.

cheers_drive

The OP highlighted 2 of the things that confuse me – toilet locks and the underground map. For charges I have to unplug then replug in device so I can see what colour it is.
    Anything thing with that’s not a larger block of colour can confuse me. Having said that it doesn’t cause me any real issues in life and I’ve worked in a few design agencies!

Mackem

In the past…
    Couldnt be a pilot.
    Buggered up a cup final as i couldnt tell my team and the opposition apart.

Nowadays..

Apparently ill-matched clothes.
    Some maps.

The worst problem is mentioning you are colour blind and people holding things up and saying “What colour is this?”

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Whilst we’re on the subject, can any of our normal visioned viewers advise me which Madison Addicts would look betterer, the green or brown?

Always buy black everything so I know it isn’t something daft and end up looking like the milk tray man.

Frame colour is light blue btw if it helps?

Thanks

bigblackshed

I’ve had to endure the life time of “what colour is this?”

The website link on the first page was “eye opening”. The picture with 4 to compare next to it. Pictures 2 & 3 look the same as “normal” to me. I’m on a small screen ATM so I’ll try it on a large screen when I get home. The 4th is distinctly different. Blue-ish grey grass.

Normal electrical cabling is fine for me, electronics take lots of time and a multimeter.

Being colourblind might explain my gopping coloured bikes!

molgrips
    Free Member

toilet locks and the underground map

Toilet locks are fitted upside-down often enough for me not to be able to rely on the red/green coloured window, and I’m not colour blind.

MrNice
    Free Member

well that was really worth 5 minutes of my day…

eightyeight
    Free Member

When I was younger I once convinced a friend I met camping that I could only see in black and white, and that my whole life was like a Charlie Chaplin film.

Matching ties for me, given that blue and purple ARE THE SAME COLOUR

Cougar

probably best not to ask a colour blind person what colour jumper they are wearing

“Wow, in forty years you’re the first person ever to think of that joke.”

@cougar – it’s impossible to describe as we have never seen the world as you see it, we have no perception of how the coloured seeing person sees the colours.

Yeah, that makes sense. Wondering how you’d explain colour to a blind person or the sense of smell to someone with congenital Anosmia is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night.

The website link on the first page was “eye opening”. The picture with 4 to compare next to it. Pictures 2 & 3 look the same as “normal” to me.

That’s what I was getting at earlier. That’s really interesting, thanks.

sobriety
    Free Member

For those who still care, the mug says ‘**** the color blind’

bloody yanks and their spellings.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ah! If it was missing a ‘u’ then my grammar & spelling disorder would have kicked in & prevented me from seeing it in an attempt to stop the impending stroke I would suffer as I exploded in righteous indignation at the screen.

I can’t berate people for their colour sense in fashion, so I overcompensate in the written form. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Does it really? I couldn’t read it, having tried for a while. I have no problems whatsoever differentiating between red/green, maybe I’m just shit at those tests 😕

d4
    Free Member

I couldn’t read but could sort of make it out by reducing the size right down.

sobriety
    Free Member

Unfortunately that one got broken earlier this year. He’s getting this one on a new mug for christmas*

*Yes, I know it’s juvenile, but that’s just how I roll.

franksinatra

Fail, I can see that and I’m colour blind. Or is it one of those that only colour blind people can see?

bol

Blimey, what a lot of us there are on here. I’m pretty comprehensively colourblind, but managed to get a design degree by being sneaky about it and labelling my pens. The most embarrassing colours that I get confused are some greys and pinks – but blues and purples, greens and browns, yellows and greens, purples and pinks etc etc etc all cause me difficulties. I first found out when I got told off at infant school for drawing a green kangaroo.

Northwind

I have a tie which I really like, it’s a lovely shade of deep green, like the north sea. To me anyway. I’m told it’s actually a sort of manky brick red with grey bits. Serious stuff.

rewski
    Free Member

Blimey, what a lot of us there are on here.

1 in 4 men are supposed to have some level of colour deficiency. I was a laughing stock in my art class because my knight in shining armour was riding a horse with one brown ear and the other green, some things you never get over.

markgraylish
    Free Member

How timely…
    I’m supposed to be testing a new app our company is developing and didn’t realize they’d used red and green icons to signify different things!

I’m pretty comprehensively colour blind and the most significant problems I have are:
    (1) understanding the legend on a lot of maps (which really pisses me off as a cannot easily differentiate trails from contour lines, for instance!)
    (2) some poor choice in clothing. Generally, I’ll stick to conservative colour choices and/or look for brands which type out the colour on the label
    (3) Trying to pick out riders or teams in the pro-peleton on TV whilst watching the TdF

My girlfriend is now used to my constant “What colour is this…?” questioning so she’s probably more pissed off than me

<Off to investigate some of the links in this thread>

markgraylish
    Free Member

Oh, one of my brother’s is also colour blind and got thru art college by using glasses with red tinted lenses which helped differentiate certain colours but I don’t think he’s as blind as me…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just had a small shout at the parking ticket machine in the Waitrose car park in Buxton – green button for print ticket, red to reject coins, kerchink kerchink as the 20p pieces came back to me – not life ending but another frustration as they had put a tick and a cross on the instructions but not the buttons.

molgrips
    Free Member

Won’t most clothes places give you advice? I sometimes ask shop assistants and my colour perception is fine 🙂

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Lots of this sounds so familiar, have to agree blue and purple are exactly the same colour to me. Pink, grey, green and often blues/purples all get mixed up.

I can sometimes tell primary red and green apart as I can pick out the brighter red but throw a few different shades in along with brown a la trailer lighting wiring and I have no chance.

I’m also banned from dressing the kids unless their ‘outfits’ have been pre passed by the wife or my eldest.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what the mug says.

I trained as an electronic engineer. At one point I had to learn how to cable 300 pair wire cables into telephone exchange blocks. The wires in the cable are distinguished by ever so slightly different combinations of colours. I could work quite happily with the wires and passed the exam in that discipline but I’m useless with those colour blind books. The only one I can see is the trick one the nasty bastards put in there to catch colour blind people out.

samuri
    Free Member

And I’ve just got my wife to tell me what the mug says. lol.

Alpha1653

I got engaged this summer (“WOOHOO!!!”) and we’re in the midst of planning our wedding. My fiancee is now getting her knickers in a twist about colour schemes for the wedding, desperately trying to work out a colour scheme that I looks nice, has a bit of variety and is vibrant enough for me to see.

As for problems, I got into quite a lot of trouble a few years ago when my missus asked if I liked her new cardigan. I replied, yeah, grey was ind of neutral colour to go with anything. “Grey? You think this is grey?” She then got out all of her “grey clothes” to check. Turns out, her favourite colour was baby pink. I had no idea.

Pastel colours are my nemesis.

1-shed
    Free Member

For any of you who bought chipie clothes in Manchester that were a bit out their, yes I was the colour blind buyer.

Wally

Yet another colour blind STW member here – Soon it will be added to the Woodburner/Bought an inbred/engineer/drive a VW group car list.

Chargers, loo indicators (I have to peer closely to look to see if the lock is engaged – well that’s what I told the magistrate)and cooking red meat is a challenge.

Instead of red/green why not a blue/yellow change? Much easier to see.

Alpha1653

Oh yeah, red meat. It starts really red when raw but I can watch it turn grey before my eyes. Thankfully it doesn’t have to be cooked that thoroughly otherwise I would have died of food poisoning years ago!

Archibald
    Free Member

Also colour blind, red green. To be honest it’s only really affected me knowingly in a handful of situations. I first found out when my older brother went to look around senior school and the biology labs had the test laid and and we all realised I couldn’t do them and therefore was colour blind. Hard to take as I wanted to be a pilot at the time, apparently the primary school knew all along probably why I had so many eye tests. The next time it mattered I was 6 month into a electronic engineer apprenticeship and I failed the ishihara tests, they then gave me a ball of mixed up wires and asked me to pick out green, red, blue brown etc which I believe I passed but they said I had to move from electronics to software apprenticeship. The only other time(s) is sometimes with clothes I get brown/green mixed up and when I used to play video games if it was fifa I struggle being the player with the red circle player highlighter and in first person shooters where the cross hairs where red. I also struggle with the red/green small on off led(s). All of the above infuriate me that there aren’t colour blind settings especially s/w ones as in games.

Interesting hearing other peoples experiences as I’ve never come across anyone else admitting to being colour blind. So good to hear that others get the inane questions about what colour is this/that. I hadn’t really thought about how crass the question was though maybe I should of been offended instead of irked at the ignorance of the question.

So for the fellow hue challenged folk it’s evolution you know so we are superior 😉

Color blindness is usually classified as a mild disability, however there are occasional circumstances where it can give an advantage. Some studies conclude that color blind people are better at penetrating certain color camouflages. Such findings may give an evolutionary reason for the high prevalence of red–green color blindness.[4] There is also a study suggesting that people with some types of color blindness can distinguish colors that people with normal color vision are not able to distinguish.[5]

But I don’t know what that bloody mug says…..

Alpha1653

Oh yeah, does anyone else struggle to see red laser pointers? I can spot them if they are still, but move them around like when being used in a presentation and I’m lost. What’s more of an issue is when they are used as red dot laser sights on rifles…

T666DOM

Ok I’ll try to sum up colour vision deficiency in as few words as I can. It effects about 1:7 men and 1:1000 women.
    Generally its classified as ‘red’, ‘green’ or ‘blue’ deficient relating to the peak light wavelength sensitivity of the cone cells of the retina.

The more severe deficiencies are Dichromats, when one ‘colour’ is totally missing, Deuteanope (green missing), Protanope ( Red missing) And Tritanope (blue missing). For these people you perceive colour using a mix of the remaining 2 which skews your colour perception & seeing some colours as grey and mixing up colour saturated/pastel shades etc.

Anomalous trichromats have all three types of cone cells but one will be working at a reduced level to theother three, these people may have close to normal colour vision or reduced to almost a dichromat level.

The numbes in all the dots is a test called the Ishihara test, it only checks for red or green defeciencies, its possible to cheat this test with coloured filters to move your deficiency to a part of the spectrum not covered by the test.

Lumination plays abig part in passing or failing colour vision tests as it can again alter the perception of colour.

The rarest and most unlucky folks are Monochromats who have no colour vision perception at all and perceive the world in greyscale.

Bit rambling but hope that helps abit

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Colourblind here too. Never really bothered me but I was told that I couldn’t be a photographer by my careers teacher. I became one just to spite her years later.

The cow.

breadcrumb

A school friend struggled with green and brown and asked me which was which. So he ended up with some trees with green trunks and brown leaves.

I was only 6, I would never do it now……

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Colour Blind what issues do you have?’ is closed to new replies.