Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2009
  • TheSanityAssassin

Entries are are now being encouraged for the 6th annual Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge, taking place this year on Sunday 10th May at 9.00am.

The course is a challenging one (as you’d expect) and has been amended this year, with permission from local land owners, to incorporate more off-road sections. The route now consists of approx. 30 miles of local paths, tracks, bridleways and lanes around the picturesque Colne Valley area of Huddersfield – regularly featured on TV as settings for Last Of The Summer Wine and Where The Heart Is.

The cost of entry is £15 pre-booked (entry forms available at http://www.cvmbc.co.uk) and £18 on the day – although we do encourage pre-booking as it greatly assists the organisation of the event.

All participants will receive a free commemorative T-Shirt and certificate upon completion. The course will be fully marshalled throughout and will have 4 refreshment stops at designated points. There will also be a back-up vehicle available for anyone who wishes to (or is forced to!!) retire early.

Bacon Butties will be on sale beforehand at a nominal £1.00 each, but apart from these EVERYTHING ELSE refreshment wise (soup, bread, bananas, flap-jack, biscuits, coffee, tea etc etc) is FREE. Yes FREE. There is also a brilliant little pub – The Walkers Arms – situated on site, so those that wish to can partake of a pint (or two) if so desired.

So, to sum it up – it’s now a 30 mile challenging MTB ride, fully marshalled, fully ‘catered’ and absolutely FANTASTIC VALUE, with a pub on site to finish the day off as well. You won’t find a better day out in this area on the 10th May. Come and give it a go – you’ve nothing to lose and we’re absolutely certain that you’ll be well looked after and have a great time.

higgo
    Free Member

I’m in.

wildrnes
    Free Member

we are going to be there, again (not4me, me , nick, julien, and possibly jez)
    Was a brilliant ride last year.

how much of the road sections (and long road decents, especially around marsden) have been removed?

TheSanityAssassin

It’s the same course as last year, I just copy n pasted the post from last year too… 😳

mrsflash
    Free Member

have you arranged the same weather as last year?

TheSanityAssassin

I’ve got my fingers crossed, Mrs Flash, but you’ll have to ask Paul Hudson about that for a more accurate prediction…

footstomper
    Free Member

Missed last year but I will definately be back this time 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I might come

4ndyB
    Free Member

I’ll be there

Wildrnes can you get in touch please, as I’ve lost your contact details, ta.

Andy (uk-mtb)

Wiksey
    Free Member

This year will be three in a row for me – rain or shine I’ll be there.
    I’ve not done many other events but this one is the friendliest I have experienced and is very highly recomended.

TheSanityAssassin

Bumped for the evening masses.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I really should get my butt in gear and sign up for this as opposed to sitting in the lounge window year on year (bacon buttie in one hand, coffee in the other, hangover is optional) watching everyone whizz past 8)….

Wiksey
    Free Member

marsdenman – I bet you’re bored by the time I come through 🙂

The Sanity Assassin – Is it the exact same course? Just so I can see how much more unfit I’ve become in the last 12 months.

hp_source

I’m in.

You know it makes sense marsdenman, and the bank holiday ride will be good prep too.

🙂

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Yep I’m up for this year – after been injured last year and unable to ride – will be my fourth time

marsdenman
    Free Member

Should not laugh – but – one if my favourite things is the poor marshall at the bottom of Mount Road –

Tis quite right that the right hand turn up to Wessenden should be made by correctly negotiating the roundabout…

IME many folk ignore that and cut the corner, risky move for sure.

The ‘laugh’ bit comes in seeing the marshal lose the will to live as he tires of tying to ask people to take the correct line……….. 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

Wiksey – typically I wince at the speeds the front runners go by then admire the determination of those further down the field, especially as I know they’re just getting breath back before they hit the climb up Wessenden 😯

Just looked at last years results – the top runners are scary, scary fast…..
    I may DNF as its too easy to stop at the front door on the way past…… 😆

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Its much more fun trying to get a 6” travel full susser with big knobbly tyres slowed down from 40mph odd and round the roundabout without killing anybody

ton

bugger, i would love to come, but unfortunately i will be riding in some other well know hills on that weekend.

😉

knott4me
    Free Member

CAN,T WAIT.i got my route today & it looks like there are still quite a lot of road sections but no where near as much as last year.

the gauntlet has been laid the carbon has been preped & the rider is eager .

last year was a a very hot day & my time suffered .
    we did dalby in 2hrs 35 the other week & yes its shorter but im hopeing for under 3 hours given the fact there are a few road sections to make up time.

TheSanityAssassin

knott4me – Member
    CAN,T WAIT.i got my route today & it looks like there are still quite a lot of road sections but no where near as much as last year.

the gauntlet has been laid the carbon has been preped & the rider is eager .

last year was a a very hot day & my time suffered .
    we did dalby in 2hrs 35 the other week & yes its shorter but im hopeing for under 3 hours given the fact there are a few road sections to make up time.

That’s a strange observation – the route is exactly the same as 2008…

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Just like those rides where you go uphill for almost the whole ride, yet end up back at the car.

higgo
    Free Member

Bugger – they’ve changed the date of the (Manchester) derby and I’ve got a ticket.

Are entries transferable if one of my mates wants it?

TheSanityAssassin

higgo – Member
    Bugger – they’ve changed the date of the (Manchester) derby and I’ve got a ticket.

Are entries transferable if one of my mates wants it?

No probs. Just email me at cvmbc at fsmail dot net and I’ll do the necessary for you.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2009’ is closed to new replies.