Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • College Rant!
  • millzy
    Free Member

another one of my mates has just left college having done a two day a week course and gained 3 distinctions, the equivalent to 390 UCAS points, which will get him into a very good university!

i however had to slug out 2 years of A-levels to end up in a just below average uni,

its just not fair!!!!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Why didn't you do what your mate did?

Don't worry about other peoples paths mate, just get on with yours.

You can still achieve a first at a below average uni 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Very good advice.

smell_it
    Free Member

and stop moaning.

miketually
    Free Member

What course did your mate do?

Unis know how much work/effort goes into various level three courses and adjust their offers accordingly…

tron
    Free Member

What the bloke above said. The other thing to take into account is how many employers want to see A-level results, for graduate jobs. A decent set of A-levels is likely to be worth more to you than an ace set of vocational stuff.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Welcome to the big bad world.

Also, what are these very good and just below average unis? Some would say that the uni I go to, Glasgow Caledonian, is just below average. But if you do an Engineering or Health based course you are getting one of the best degrees of that type in the world.

timc
    Free Member

obviously he is smarter than you!

sofatester
    Free Member

i however had to slug out 2 years of A-levels to end up in a just below average uni,

You should have studied harder then 😉

skidartist
    Free Member

Chill out. Two weeks after you graduate relatives will stop asking you what degree you got, and from that point on nobody will ever ask you again! (IME)

tails
    Free Member

But if you do an Engineering or Health based course you are getting one of the best degrees of that type in the world.

All crap unis tell you that.

obviously he is smarter than you!

Definitely a better researcher.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Try getting into a top ranked Russell Group institution without A Levels….

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i have to agree to an extent….at my school we we pushed into 6thform and not told at all about the whole ucas system.
    I now am struggling with my a levels but im trying hard to get my grades to get me into uni.However i have friends who have got huge amounts of ucas points for kicking a ball around 2 days a week and handing in page long essays and getting a high grade.
    College is usually seen as less quality than a good 6th form but i think i certainly go it wrong
    Bruce
    currently doing ;geography,food tech,chemistry and general studies.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

+1

not all universities are equal and the people that count know that

coffeeking
    Free Member

College is usually seen as less quality than a good 6th form but i think i certainly go it wrong

College is a type of institution. I did my A levels at a college. I couldn't have got into the university I chose without good A levels in maths, physics and chemistry. It depends entirely on what you plan to do and where, as above – if you want to go to a russell group uni you need A levels in something very closely related to your chosen course, and outside interests to match, points mean nothing. My previous place of employment (a uni) would tend to select candidates partly by what college they attended too, not just what subjects and grades, as they knew how the courses were taught and which colleges had a tendency to have certain backgrounds etc.

miketually
    Free Member

Points might mean prizes, but they don't mean uni places. You can get UCAS points for doing your Grade 8 piano; doesn't mean a uni will accept them.

tron
    Free Member

+2 (again).

I'm currently studying at one of the better unis in the UK. They have equivalency tables for qualifications all over the world – don't think they'll go solely by UCAS points. They work out the equivalent mark in something they understand (probably A-levels), then take the top ranked from that. I even know guys who did GCSEs and A-levels as kids in Sri Lanka with the intention of getting into a good UK uni.

ianv
    Free Member

If your mate did a Btec then the points are micky mouse ones and not proper UCAS ones. No chance of getting in to a Uni that wants 3 As at A level.

PiknMix
    Free Member

ianv – Member

If your mate did a Btec then the points are micky mouse ones and not proper UCAS ones. No chance of getting in to a Uni that wants 3 As at A level.

Not true, I got into a top uni for my subject with a BTEC. Its all about grades and showing a willingness to learn, you can do that with very good BTEC results (mostly distinctions) or via traditional A levels.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its all about grades and showing a willingness to learn

Hah! It's all about how many places the uni has to fill on the course!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Not true, I got into a top uni for my subject with a BTEC

I don't want to sound snobbish here, but which uni was that? Neither of the universities I went to would have accepted a BTEC, even for the more practical subjects such as engineering.

luked2
    Free Member

Am I just misreading the UCAS tables?

http://www.ucas.com/documents/tariff/tarifftables2010.pdf

Looks like an 'A*' at GCE A level is worth 140 points.

Diploma in "Fashion retail" 'distinction' gets you 160.

Diploma in "Foundation Studies" (art, design, media) is worth a stonking 285!

Got to wonder if the people at UCAS are perhaps a bit rubbish.

tails
    Free Member

Foundation in art and design is taken after A levels but before uni, the majority of students doing such subjects go through these courses. So the sums are probably correct.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Might be worth more points but getting an "easy" voactional qualification doesn't necessarily get you in to uni. If your mate has done a course at college related to what they want to do at uni (if thats what they're doing), then thats good! But whatever course it is you want to do might not accept someone unless they have an a-level or equivalent in certain subjects.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

how totally barmy the system is…give me a proper interview alone and i would get myself in most places.
    on paper….
    Bruce

mafiafish
    Free Member

you can have as many ucas points as you want but no admissions tutor is going to see a random college course in painting and decorating as being better than an A in a proper academic subject. All good uni's are heavily over subscribed. Mine has 11 applicants per place LSE is even more so your friend is unlikely to even be considered for a proper course without academic subjects with decent A levels.

K.s
    Free Member

..even with it's pretty hard at the moment. I am just finishing up my A-Levels, and got rejected from 3 'top ranked' uni's (following interview at one), despite having everything (academically) they wanted.

However I doubt they would have looked at the application if it had had more vocational subjects on it.. as said above, places are in massive competition everywhere.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I have no A Levels and got into a member of the Russell Group on merit of my two years at college. Maybe the Scottish members of the Russell Group just have lower standards 😛

zokes
    Free Member

I only have 24 UCAS points. I must be thick…

TheSanityAssassin

I got into Uni with no UCAS points whatsoever. I knocked on a door, chatted to the bloke for 20 mins and was accepted on the spot. 3 years later I walked out with a Geoff Hurst. Plenty of the College-leavers, with all their UCAS points, scraped through with a Douglas and were lucky to get that. Most of them were ill-prepared, particularly those from the BTEC courses, and the majority lacked desire, discipline, interest, application, time management skills and basic literacy.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘College Rant!’ is closed to new replies.