Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Colleague's dreadful driving…
  • maccruiskeen

Unfortunately his granny will be long gone. Even mine are no longer available for such duties… …nice idea though.

Hmmmm, maybe its hearses I’m thinking of, with the old lady in the back – they go pretty slowly, it would explain why there would be fewer accidents. Not so many hearses available to hire from airports though

anyone on car allowance or in company cars, or who hires them for their work has to do a driving assessment, etc. If you’re not doing that then it would be a very opportune time to suggest that the company does, if you don’t want to shop him explicitly.

See if there is any literature published about this, some mailing lists perhaps, order some in his name, or at least leave it lying around

large418
    Free Member

Watch the film “Horrible Bosses” – there’s some great ideas in there.
    —————————————————-

Maybe suggest that the firm sponsors an Advanced Driving programme and he could take first go?
    You can go down one of 2 routes – the first that many have suggested will not improve his driving – even if you are not in the car his driving will always be poor.
    The 2nd is to try to improve his driving, or at least get a professional to point out his shortfalls.

(I had a new recruit whose driving was awful – I put him through an Advanced Driving course and after 3 days proper tuition his driving is now acceptable. Wasn’t cheap but then accidents often cost more!)

brooess
    Free Member

Just think how much you’d regret it if you said nothing and ended up in hospital…

I agree there’s a risk he’ll be offended but he can’t sack you for that if you’re sensitive about the way you do it. Talk about it being your preference as you’re not comfortable rather than saying his driving’s poor.
    Keep notes of the conversation you have so that if he does sack you then you can go for the constructive dismissal route.

And if he really is that bad you could be saving his life, and someone else’s – he may not have realised how dangerous he is…

large418
    Free Member

Question:

How will telling him his driving is poor make him improve? It’s far more likely to make him defensive and it will be difficult to make the conversation constructive.

Going down the “we should improve our standard of driving within the company to lower insurance premiums blah blah” is far more likely to get him the help he needs without actually telling him he is crap.

poly
    Free Member

Just think how much you’d regret it if you said nothing and ended up in hospital…

mmm… yes but I have to balance that against the possibility that I say something and then find myself unable to pay my mortgage! So whilst I find his driving bad (and possibly getting worse) the statistical evidence would be that in the last 2 yrs I have been here, he probably drives a couple of hours a week and as far as I am aware has never had an accident – certainly not a serious one.

I agree there’s a risk he’ll be offended but he can’t sack you for that if you’re sensitive about the way you do it. Talk about it being your preference as you’re not comfortable rather than saying his driving’s poor.
    Keep notes of the conversation you have so that if he does sack you then you can go for the constructive dismissal route.

you’ve never worked in a small company have you! Firstly its very unlikely that you can comment on anyone else’s driving without causing some offence. I can’t imagine many people being anything other than defensive (unless they already believe they are crap). This is someone I work with on an almost daily basis (but fortunately travel with him much less!). He (like many small business owners) also is quite good at holding a grudge. Proving constructive dismissal is notoriously difficult, and in the meantime it doesn’t pay the mortgage. In the current ecconomic climate getting fired and fighting a tribunal is probably not a good way to keep paying my mortgage. Whilst my family don’t want me in hospital (I presume) they also want a roof over their heads so its not simply a case of “speaking up”.

Going down the “we should improve our standard of driving within the company to lower insurance premiums blah blah” is far more likely to get him the help he needs without actually telling him he is crap.

Yes if we had a company vehicle insurance policy that would be a sensible approach, but as there are no company vehicles there would be no saving to the company from such a scheme. I don’t think any of the other people in the company are particularly poor either – otherwise I could potentially present it as “John’s a bit dodgy isn’t he, can we all do the training, and you can lead by example”…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What do your colleagues think / say?

Its a difficult one given the situation but if its really that bad but shopping him to the DVLA does nothing then somehow yo have to tell him even at risk to your job. Job or health?

poly
    Free Member

TJ, I’ll maybe start wearing me helmet in the car!

One other person has commented to me on it. Not sure how many have been driven by him, I’ll do some asking around tomorrow.

I’ve asked DVLA what mechanism exists to advise them.

spooky_b329

Get a cab?
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3d5zs_mini-cab-trigger-happy-tv_fun
    Maybe not…
    (sorry, can’t embed it as ch.4 has got all legal at Youtube)

But seriously, offer to drive next time and suggests he nominates you as the driver next time he books the car. Sounds more like lack of experience/confidence and you may find that he jumps at the chance of you driving as he feels self-conscious.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about saying you are a very bad passenger and would find it much easier if you drove?

jon1973
    Free Member

How about saying you are a very bad passenger and would find it much easier if you drove?

I prefer to drive than be driven anyway, as I get a bit of motion sickness if I’m a passenger. Maybe just tell them you’ll puke over the dashboard if you don’t drive.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Don’t do nothing.
    We had our suspicions about an employee and was waiting for the right moment (whatever that might have been) to say something. He is now recovering (slowly) after a serious car crash. It was very close to being disasterous for him. Thankfully no-one else was involved.
    We are all going to be paying for this for a while……

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Colleague's dreadful driving…’ is closed to new replies.