Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Collarbone Plates
  • mattmtb
    Free Member

As im sure many of you are familiar with the broken collarbone I’m sure someone might be able to help me. I’ve recently broken my collarbone and within the next day I was in surgery having a plate screwed, I’ve forgotten to ask this question at my last appointment.. So what is the worst damage that could happen if I was to fall on that same shoulder really badly again?

TiRed

it will break again at the end of the plate

onewheelgood

After a year, once mine had fully set I was advised to have the plate removed, since I was judged likely to break it again and the surgeon said it would be ‘messy’ if I did it with the plate still in there. He may well just have been drumming up business, but I had it removed anyway.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I had mine removed as it hurt with drops in temperature – my guess was it was contracting slightly. It’s not hurt since.

Well, except for when I broke it again… 😡

jimw
    Free Member

Different consultants have different opinions. Mine said that it was best to keep the plate in as any invasive surgical procedure has its inherent risk of General anaethetic and infection, and the area round the shoulder has multiple nerve systems that might be compromised. So 5 years on mine is still there.
    I was advised that it could lead to issues if I had a major trauma, but the risk is low.
    I am more cautious than I was

jkomo

I’m leaving mine in. Feels okay.

tonyg2003

Mine is still in 8yrs on. As said above – if it doesn’t give you any grief then why risk further surgery/GA.

I can see the risks of it being in place with another break being anything worse.

onehundredthidiot

OH waited 8weeks to get a plate. Was removed 12 months later. Rolled over in bed 3 days later and it snapped again. Permanent plate now, the faffing about has knackered the regrowth.

shermer75
    Free Member

Had mine for about 4 years, it’s optional to have removed as some people find them uncomortable (or, as above, you are likely to break it again!)

Healing times are similar if not a bit shorter (6 weeks for fairly useable, 12 weeks for it to be rock solid)

Do your excersises! It is amazing how weak (and therefore painful) it gets!!

plainolwrighty
    Free Member

I had the plate left in. Then about 3 years later had a minor tumble and snapped the end off. Then followed the most painful surgery to insert a ‘clavicle hook’. It was left in for three very painful months of restricted movement before being removed. If I could go back in time, I’d have the plate removed

john_l
    Free Member

My plate led to infection which got to the bone. Had it removed about 10 weeks after the original break and promptly broke it again getting dressed in the recovery ward putting my t-shirt on. That was the end of June.

Surgeon wouldn’t plate it again due to the infection.

colp

I just had the biggest crash of my life (OTB flat out on the big jumps at Leogang) two years after having mine plated.
    I’ve got a big old AC separation but the plate held up, I’m pretty sure the collarbone would have gone again without the plate.

It’s a bit sensitive but I think I’ll be leaving it in there

spennyy
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t bother me at all so far (been in 5 months or so). Was told it would be left in unless any issues arise. Just had to be careful at the start as the consultant said the bone would break again before the plate and then it would be a issue to re plate it.

bentandbroken

There are different types of plates so advice also varies depending on the plate you have.

My first plate was relatively small with about 4 screws. It ‘failed’ about 7 days after surgery – that was painful

The new plate is like the one in the photo from colp. My surgeon advised that it was most likely to fix the problem after the original plate failed, but was also the plate style most frequently removed months/years after survey due to discomfort

Mine is still in 4.5 years later and only gives me minor gyp now and then

One of the downsides that he explained for having the plate removed was ‘the bone will be like Swiss cheese’ for weeks after the plate is removed and any trauma could cause the bone to shatter 😯

I also concur with the comments about the risks of surgery/infection/nerve damage. I have quite a bit of nerve damage from different survey, luckily it is mainly ‘deadspots’. However, there is one area on my arm that, when touched, causes a ‘fizzing’ in my shoulder that is not pleasant, I would not want too many of those.

DanW
    Free Member

The plate is there to bring the fracture together and start the healing process. After that its job is done so in theory it is best removed however this has to be balanced with the risks of another surgery.

It is fairly unusual for a surgeon to routinely remove all plates so they tend to be pragmatic and leave them in unless there is good reason to remove. You’d have to talk to your surgeon about the risks of crashing on it further and his/ her opinion.

I would have thought cashing shoulders/ out stretched arms on bikes frequently is a risk factor to consider but IANAS(urgeon). All the best for a speedy recovery!

andybrad

this is mine
    https://goo.gl/photos/j9tXDiYBFi8fY9dR6

had it in a few years now. (look at that bloody screw) I was advsed to take it out after a year. However it took me 9 months to get it done in the first place and another 6 to recover properly. It had a major impact on my life and caused a little localised nerve damage. Decided it wasnt worth the risk myself. It hurts when it gets cold.

It depends on what your happy with. Im much happier with it in so its staying. Looks a bugger though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Collarbone Plates’ is closed to new replies.