Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cold weather is it actually tougher or just feel that way?
  • longboroughnick
    Free Member

Anyone know if the same loop in the weather we have the moment is much harder – Did the Cwn Carn loop on Friday and it knocked me for six – looking for an answer apart from the obvious lack of fitness!

hh45
    Free Member

Surely its tougher – cold air in lungs, stiffer joints, extra calories need burning to keep warm. In addition all the extra layers make one feel a bit cumbersome and most people ride and race less in winter so are less fit. And the ground is probably soggier so a bit harder going, so yes overall, cold, winter riding is quite tough.

Still good for you!! Just eat more and wear more wool.

mtbfix

I reckon Jack Frost sneaks into the shed and puts lead in my tyres. Winter always feels hard work.

warpcow
    Free Member

Waht hh45 said. The main one that gets me is just the cold air irritating my lungs.

wwaswas

but the air’s denser and therefore you get more oxygen in your lungs for each breath – it’s got to make a difference.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Plus the grease in the bearings is stickier (technical term…) and the chain will have more friction as well.

robinbetts
    Free Member

You’ve got to account for all the extra peddle strokes when your rear wheel spins on the ice! Sure that’ll add up to an extra Km or two!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I finding running harder – not cycling much in the ice.
    Put it partly down to the extra layers and tougher ground conditions.

16stonepig
    Free Member

My lungs seem to seize up completely in the cold. It’s put me right off this exercise lark.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think the mere fact of the cold & trail/road conditions makes you a little less relaxed which makes it all more tiring and harder work.

avdave2

This mornings ride to work was hard going on the frozen grass. It’s like it’s reaching out and grabbing your tyres and you have to tear them from it’s clutches. And the frozen mud that has been churned up by the horses means your being rattled around all over the place which is also more tiring. Given all that though when the sun shines in the morning it’s my favourite conditions to ride to work. Socks and gloves on the radiator this morning before I left which also helped.

chakaping
    Free Member

Three days’ riding in Cumbria at start of the cold snap and I felt like I didn’t get properly warmed-up (exercise wise) the whole time.

Last week’s night ride was much better though – must be milder down south or I got the clothing level just right.

longboroughnick
    Free Member

Really interested if anyone on here knows the science – particularly the extra effort expended keeping warm?

elaineanne
    Free Member

ive had to use an ashtma inhaler for this cold weather (im struggling to breathe during the nite…. 😥
    do wrap up : its awfully chilly out there

longboroughnick
    Free Member

Am I the only one who has a few issues with the first couple of runs / rides in winter coughing and irritated throat afterwards but then this goes away ??

oldgit
    Free Member

I posted about this a few days back. Cold muscles has to be the biggest problem. Especially if you’re a bit under dressed and the old bod has to work harder to stay warm.
    Being trussed up I doubt helps much either.

_tom_
    Free Member

I actually find it easier in this weather. The summer heat/sweat just makes me feel drained.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cold weather is it actually tougher or just feel that way?’ is closed to new replies.