Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cold weather gear, where from?
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Off to northern Finland in December where the temps can reach around -18c.
    We have ski clothing for the whole family but we tend to go skiing/boarding at Easter meaning it’s a lot warmer at that time of year so I’m thinking we might need some better performing clothing.
    Where has good clothes for a sensible price?

Hoff

Depends on what you mean on sensible price? I have used Decathlon gear at similar temps. They do some pretty good base layers, fleeces & down jackets.

epicyclo

I’d look at what the Finnish people wear.

flatfish
    Free Member

By sensible price I mean I’d be fine spending £150 on a coat but when I look at snow & rock prices of £350 and upwards I get quite twitchy.

jimjam
    Free Member

A couple of my former colleagues and friends used to manage some big outdoor clothing chains. In their opinion Mountain Equipment, Rab and Montane were the go to brands.

I’m sure there are plenty of others which are as good if not better but I guess it comes down to a balance between cost, performance, availability and after sales.

E.g A mate who used to manage a Cotswolds had a ton of Arcteryx gear but it was all demo stuff. He said multiple times there was no way he’d pay full rrp for it, and if he was buying the stuff himself he’d go for Rab or ME.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

-18 isn’t that bad, in fact I’d say down to -30 is ok. Windchill is the enemy.

Layers are the answer, and buying kit big enough so that you can do layers without it become too tight. Things like buy silk glove liners. Socks are probably the hardest bit to get right.

You have to change your layering depending on how warm you get as if you start to sweat you will soon literally start to freeze

In -18 you don’t need GoreTex etc as stuff stays dry.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Depends on what you’re doing. Walking/moving/skiing outside you need underlayer and thermal jacket + fleece not necessarily thermal trousers. For kids go all thermal and underlayers.

Standing/sitting still you will get cold…

Your snot only freezes at -20!

Btw not much wind when minus 18.

footflaps

In -18 you don’t need GoreTex etc as stuff stays dry.

Yep, a friend works for British Antarctic Survey and they mainly wear Pertex windproof shells over insulation layers as you don’t get wet from precipitation, so just cold and wind to worry about.

I’d have thought a thick down jacket would be a good outer choice.

Alpkit are much cheaper than the mainstream brands…

jimjam
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Are they really?

jam-bo

E.g A mate who used to manage a Cotswolds had a ton of Arcteryx gear but it was all demo stuff. He said multiple times there was no way he’d pay full rrp for it, and if he was buying the stuff himself he’d go for Rab or ME.

I’ve got a fair bit of arcteryx kit and never paid more than 50% of rrp for it. Does anyone because it’s always discounted somewhere.

In fact I paid less for my top of the line alpha fl jacket as alpkit charge for their equivalent jacket. I know which I’d rather have..

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Decathlon +100.

I am increasingly impressed with their offerings. The stuff is well made and excellent value at all price points. Availability can be a pain sometimes though.

rmacattack
    Free Member

Go outdoors if you get the sales right. was in the other day for sizing up etc. then ordered home delivery. compared the things i wanted to other outlets online and imo got great deals.

footflaps

footflaps – Member

Are they really?[/quote]

If you compare like with like, e.g. materials, then I’d say so. You can get cheaper kit, but a lot of it has compromised on material choice or features.

dovebiker

Based on a few multiday Arctic winter events down to -27C including overnight bivvies: What activities are you doing? Being active at those temperatures aren’t really a problem, it’s when you stop that it does. If you’re active, a baselayer, insulation layer and windproof outer is fine for down into the -20s, but you need a good warm down or synthetic jacket if you stop. Wearing too much and sweating through is also a problem and a wet down jacket that freezes is useless. Polypropylene baselayer are better IME, merino just holds too much moisture. Polartec Alpha is a brilliant insulator and works very well when damp. Waterproof insulated boots essential – you can really feel the cold if standing around, as are a good hat and gloves. If you shop around you can find good gear at 50% discount rather than Mountain Warehouse and the like stuff.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

You could also hire kit if you’re only planning on going once? I hired a jacket (Rep£350+) , katoola chains and snow shoes for a fortnight for well under £100

jimjam
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Are they really?

If you compare like with like, e.g. materials, then I’d say so. You can get cheaper kit, but a lot of it has compromised on material choice or features. [/quote]

I think you’d have to get into the construction and features to be honest. Example – Alpkit charge £160 for their primaloft jacket. ME have a polarloft jacket for £180, and they did the Bastion (of which I have two) for £179 rrp iirc. Standard retail discount of 20% and the alpkit doesn’t look so cheap. Montane offer a primaloft jacket for £100ish? They can be had new everywhere for £80. They also do the luxe jacket with baffled primaloft gold for £175 (but £130 everywhere).

They aren’t online retailers so you can actually go into a shop and try them on too.

I am singling out the synthetic insulated jackets because they are imo excellent and pretty appropriate for wet windy winters where it’s not super cold. If we really got into the nitty gritty of construction it might be more enlightening but on the surface at least I struggle to see alpkit as a massive bargain.

footflaps

Example – Alpkit charge £160 for their primaloft jacket.

Their Heiko Primaloft jacket is £95 RRP, and I picked up mine for about £60 (they regularly have sales, just like everyone else).

flatfish
    Free Member

Activities will include skiing and boarding, dog sled riding, I expect hunting for Santa amongst other things. We’re not a family that likes to be “still”.

drlex
    Free Member

Norrona outlet? Was a PSA here a few weeks back, and it’s excellent quality, free postage and arrives within a week from Norway.

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at Snugpark for some very warm jackets, not too expensive.

epicyclo

flatfish – Member
    …I expect hunting for Santa amongst other things….

Is that like clay pigeon shooting? 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Example – Alpkit charge £160 for their primaloft jacket.

Their Heiko Primaloft jacket is £95 RRP, and I picked up mine for about £60 (they regularly have sales, just like everyone else). [/quote]

No hood and it’s a very lightweight jacket, anyway my initial point was that I don’t see them as being “much cheaper”. As an exclusively online direct sale brand I would expect them to be at least 30 or 40% cheaper than the nearest comparable shop brand. Yes they have sales, so do all of the major outdoor clothing retailers, and if you wear a small or a medium they ofen sell out before the sale even starts or they’re gone in a flash.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cold weather gear, where from?’ is closed to new replies.