• This topic has 140 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)
  • Cold: Show us your logburners/fires
  • nbt

>Lancashire (twixt Wigan and Chorley

Oooh, my neck of the woods, I grew up there. Where ’bouts?

SidewaysTim

I’m currently enjoying this, before popping out to get my youngest one from school.

And in the workshop sits old faithfull – not pretty, but warms the place up nicely.

boblo
    Free Member

@SWT

I knew a girl that shape once…

ourmaninthenorth

Oooh, my neck of the woods, I grew up there. Where ’bouts?

Bispham, currently. Inlaws in Heskin (nr Eccleston).

Need to work out catchment area for school in Croston (to permit a generational continuity, apparently).

TBH It’s all happening to me, rather than me being involved..!

bedmaker

Just back in yesterday after a few alterations. Officially the last job done ready for full completion on the house 🙂

Plan to lounge in front of it later with a beautiful 16 year old.

From Islay, obviously.

Harry_the_Spider

This thread has inspired my to get a load of scrap wood from work (busted packing cases) and spend the afternoon sawing.

Got enough cut for a few blazes. Need to borrow a bigger saw to get through the larger chunks.

Will light the fire and drink cheap red wine when the kids are in bed.

firestarter
    Free Member

Making me think this . I have a house with no chimney or gas so any form of heating is gonna be expensivm. I have underfloor heating downstairs but upstairs its rubbish. An internal double flue could be just the ticket.altho not a cheap one 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

rather stupidly, yes, in theory for HEATAS sign off you need a carbon monoxide alarm situated within a certain range of the stove. Frankly a load of bollox. You’re more likely to die of particulate induced cancer with a wood stove than CO poisoning. Still, it keeps some jobsworth happy Im sure. And fortunately I have a flexibly pragmatic installer.

The twin wall flue system is very versatile and you can run it inside or out of the house. There’s various fire reg/heatas reg stuff when you go through floors or walls but its not too bad and mostly is sensible.

Our twinwall runs internally through the upstairs corridor, it’s as good as a rad.

PhilChap

IMAG0195 by philchaplow, on Flickr

Fitted two weeks ago to replace the oil burning stove which was costing a fortune. Stockton 11HB feeding the hot water and radiators, does get through wood quickly.

Nobody else keeps their bike in the living room then ?

Picture 004 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

Note the kettle resting on two old chainrings to simmer. 😀

And my log pile. Quantity, not quality.

log pile by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

timber

Rented place, would be nice to have a log burner, bit more efficient, but who needs efficiency when you have access to at least 25 tonnes of firewood.
    Must admit, it’s not as well stacked as mcmoonters

Stoner
    Free Member

Midlandstrailquestgraham – you’re either single, or lying and thats your mancave 😉

Bunnyhop

Own up you lot.
    In all the photos every single woodburner is clean, tidy and looking in show home pristine condition.

I’m not single, but I live on my own.

There’s a motorbike in the bedroom. 😀

Innes
    Free Member

AlexSimon

mcmoonter’s logpile is worth a bump. Unbelievable!
    I wish I had one in the house, but here’s mine.

Inviting warm glow by thingswelike, on Flickr

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I know it’s not ‘mine’…yet, but this is the one I am planning to have installed in a few months or so…….

(in blue though)

It’s nearly as exciting as getting a new bike!

tang
    Free Member

graham for one awful moment i thought you had a reflector on that wheel. nice jotul, i had one in my room as a kid (my dad has it in his workshop now), we lived in a wooden shack in the woods built by gypsies in the 20’s. i did smell of woodsmoke my entire childhood.

LapSteel
    Free Member

@ littlegirlbunny

Where do you get them from?

Is it multifuel?

nickf
    Free Member

Mine turned up today (Stovax Brunel), ready for installation next week.

It’s really sad how much I’m looking forward to it.

Stoner
    Free Member

was about to bump this thread too. Just had a wood delivery so the stack is loaded now:

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Working from home in the snow and have to keep lying in front of the fire to warm up. Beech logs at the moment though – so not as much heat getting chucked out as usual 🙁

richmars

If we’re posting log stores. This is no.2 store.

ononeorange

Midlandstrailquestgraham – impressive bike / living room interface. Well done.

McMoonter – it’s been said before but that is a seriously impressive woodstore. My nomination for the STW Woodstore of the Year, without a doubt – will vote accordingly in the STW poll.

Wanted to get a wood burner in our chilly kitchen, but was told it would cost £6,500 due to all the flue claptrap. Grrrr – jealous of you lot!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

LapSteel – Member

@ littlegirlbunny

Where do you get them from?

Is it multifuel?

From these people http://www.chesneys.co.uk/stoves.asp

The 6kw is multifuel, the 4kw is woodburner only

iDave
    Free Member

anticipates stoner jr removing bottom sticky out log……

glenh
    Free Member

Crap pic, but here you go. In action permanently at the moment!

Bunnyhop

Mine turned up today (Stovax Brunel), ready for installation next week.

It’s really sad how much I’m looking forward to it.

Not at all. I waited 3.5 years for ours to be fitted. I’m so excited about it even now its been in situ 3 months.

ART

Ah McMoonter’s logstore, thing of beauty [sigh] 😉

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

MidlandsTrailquestGraham,

Did you get styling advice from KingtonTrailquestJeremy?

Helios
    Free Member

I’m so jealous – our woodburner can’t be installed until the end of January. Is it bad that I’m hoping February and March will be freezing so I can have it on all the time?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Here are another couple of good wood piles.

matthewjb
    Free Member

iDave – Member

anticipates stoner jr removing bottom sticky out log……

I’ve always wondered that about logpiles. If the ones at the bottom are the oldest and driest, how do you get them out?

dmiller
    Free Member

A cheeky request but whats a good source of free / cheap firewood?

We have a backboiler in our house that does all our heating / hot water. Coals not cheap and we cant steal any more of the neighbours tree before they notice…

Cheers,

David.

Stoner
    Free Member

matthew – thats not the log store, just the fire pile. In the log store I have a series of stacked crates in which I can keep batches of seasoned/fresh wood.

Find a local farmer with some copses that he doesnt mind you salvaging windfall from?

TBH, at £90 for 1.3m3 Im not too bothered about buying good quality (dry) seasoned wood. As it works out at about 2-3p/kwH compared to 4p/kWh for my wood pellet boiler.

trailertrash

With a couple of exceptions it is clear that my standard of living is dropping further and further behind that of others of a similar age 😯

kunoichi
    Free Member

Nice thread. Some inspiring looking set ups there. I’m in process of saving a couple a thou to have one installed… Oh well, this time next year perhaps.

LardLover
    Free Member

First, rip out old gas fire and back boiler, then rip plaster off chimney breast looking for ‘original features’:

Next, prepare brickwork, a bit of re-pointing with lime mortar. Leave old flue in place. Make good the hearth. Leave the old soot staining from the ‘original’ stove (NOT off the backboiler!):

Then, get up onto roof, undo the bracket holding the old flue in place, then go back down and yank the flue out making sure you bring as much old soot down too. Then install new multi-fuel stove:

Then you’re set. Make sure 1st fire is a wee one:

Now, if only I could get Molly out for a walk! (note the boots and trainers drying):

Finally, a pic of my pitiful wood pile 😳 :

anthonyb
    Free Member

Got home to find the missus had put the decorations up, and the stove toasting up the room nicely. Had it put in 2 months ago, without doubt the best investment for the house ever.

Working on converting the outhouse for the woodstore

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Cold: Show us your logburners/fires’ is closed to new replies.