Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cold feet on the bike ???
  • bladder
    Free Member

Suffer from cold feet on the bike and tried morino wool socks and thick overshoes . Tried elite heated sole pads which are crap I just cant keep my toes warm after 30mins on the bike possibly suffer from bad circulation any idea’s ???

akira

Shoes too small? Also what shoes and pedals are you using?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Me too, left big toe goes totally dead. Only thing that seams to help me is flat pedals, 5 10’s and seal skins. I think not being clipped in helps circulation.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Nothing I’ve tried (winter boots, thick socks, thin socks, two pairs of socks, overshoes etc) keeps my feet warm once it’s less than 3 deg c or so. Poor circulation I reckon.

bladder
    Free Member

I use sidi shoes road & mountain and both are perfect fit and run shimano spd pedals & look keo’s also tried seal skins which were slightly better it seems to be worse on the road bike .

lovewookie

I too suffer from cold feet out on the bike.

something in addition to sizing up your shoes:

if your waterproof socks or winter boots get wet, the water will extract heat from your feet regadless if your actual feet are wet.
    To combat this, I’ve been doing the winter boots and overshoes to provide as much of a barrier to this as possible.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t that cold this morning, but I still managed to get cold feet. I’m now convinced that the pedalling action and the pressure in the ball of my foot reduces circulation and, in cooler times means I get numb cold feet.

any special insoles for that?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

i have a set of shoes 1 size too big for winter- more air to help warmth with big socks on. No air means nowhere for heat to build up. That and sealskinz with warm socks underneath.

bladder
    Free Member

I have shimano winter boots as well which are pretty spacious and used them with thin socks and morino seal skins but still didnt cure the problem. Iast straw is sidi’s heated insoles but loathed to spend that money for 3 months of the year !

giantjason
    Free Member

i wear sealskinz thermal waterproof socks in addition to Northwave Celcius goretex boots which keep my feet warm……expensive but worth it if you want to ride all year.

my boots are 1-2 sizes larger than my normal riding shoes to allow for thicker socks and not cut down on the circulation.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

3 months of the year? We were tramping through snow on Sunday and were recalling how the last time we’d done that was only 5 months previous.

Current winters mean stuff like that is good value.

krixmeister

I’ve got same problem, and have given up on finding a solution. I just have to suffer painfully numb feet when cycling in the UK in winter. It seems it’s not just caused by cold/wet feet – depending on your specific situation it may be shoe size, the cleat itself (not a lot of insulation on bottom of shoes), saddle position, etc etc.

In addition to the great suggestions above in the thread, other things you might look into/try:

-Lowering saddle (to account for increased layers of clothes on bum)
    -Ensuring hands warm
    -Ensuring head is warm

–Kristan

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member

3 months of the year? We were tramping through snow on Sunday and were recalling how the last time we’d done that was only 5 months previous.

In mid june?

Keva
    Free Member

best thing to do is have a pair of shoes /boots /trainers whatever a size too big so there is room for movement. Tight fitting footwear will only help to block circulation. Wear a few pairs of socks, layering like you do with yer body. I usually wear two layers of socks and then sealskinz. Just about works.

Kev

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I suffer from cold feet generally, not just on the bike.

Firstly, if you use cleats there is a very effective heat conduit through the cleat to the pedal. Overshoes do nothing to stop this heat loss as they have a big hole there, which also lets water in.

I ride flats with 5:10 Freeriders one size too big then use liner sock, walking sock and Sealskinz. Perfectly toasty even well below zero and in the wet

kogzzz
    Free Member

I too suffer that aggravation that can limit the length of that winter ride. One possible not mentioned is the use of heated foot warmers. The sort i’m on about are what skiers use. Little pads that when broken out of the packet contain crystals that react with air. Can give a considerable amount of warmth coupled with a good time factor. Relatively inexpensive if bought in bulk. Have personally used them skiing in temps of -25. As with cycling the limited flexing of the foot can led to circulatory probs. Just remember to use a little insulation tape to bind to socks before inserting into shoe to stop them rucking up. Complete pain in the arse otherwise !!

muenchen1
    Free Member

I’ve ended up using Spesh defrosters with an fleecy innersole added, then two pairs of socks. For really cold weather on the mtb switch to flats and on the roadbike I put those stupid plastic platforms on one side of the spd so can avoid that nice metallic heat sink. Still not perfect mind.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cold feet on the bike ???’ is closed to new replies.