Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cold feet, do SPDs make it worse?
  • el_diablo
    Free Member

Whenever this time of year comes round, I always end up with blocks of ice were my feet where. (Only when I'm riding obviously).

It gets so bad I have to jump of the bike and run to get some blood flowing.

I always ride with SPDs and ahve several pairs of shoes, trainer style, light weight mesh, and windproof/water resistant, I also wera SealSkinz socks, but nothing seems to work.

I've been thinking of trying flat pedals and wearing either trainers or even Goretex boots.

Will having a bit more movement on my pedals make my feet warmer?

ton

deffo.
    with spd shoes your feet do not move.
    with a flexible shoe the foot moves and keeps the blood pumping.

woffle
    Free Member

Overshoes?

carbon337
    Free Member

I agree I thought it was just me that thought spd's were to blame.

ton

5-10s and neoprene socks are good in cold weather.
    also a good goretex walking boot with wool socks……….awesome.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find I am better with spds – as concentrating on pulling up rather than pushing down for a few turns gets the blood flowing again. ten turns just pulling and my feet are warmer

The key is having enough room in your shoes and getting the blood flowing IMO How you get the blood flowing is up to you.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Anyone had any success with thermal insoles?

muenchen1
    Free Member

I too suffer with cold feet, despite Specialized winter boots and thick socks. For near zero days I add liner socks and overboots. Thats stopped the chilled toes but made it obvious that the main heat loss was then where the cleat came through the sole – so now have some fleecy insoles in there and very pleased with the results. Also have the rule now before a cold ride the boots go on 15 mins before going outside. OK fleecy soles perhaps not the best for pedal efficiency and I guess will pack down fairly quickly but I'll take warm (or less cold) feet anyday.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Cheers guys (and gals). Speedy responses there.

If I wear my Shimano trainer style shoes with Sealskinz, my feet do stay warmer as I can wiggle my toes a bit, but with the recent wet weather, the shoes end up weighing about a stone each with the added water! My light weight summer shoes just let all the cold air in and are a bit tight with Sealskinz and the supposedly water proof shoes are just useless.

I'll try pulling up on the pedals and see how that goes, if not I might buy some cheap flatties, any recommendation?

radoggair
    Free Member

wear a pair of thin (aldi) winter socks, shimano's mw80's winter boots( a size bigger than normal shoes) and overshoes and thats all i need to keep my feet warm and comfy

Stainypants

i used to get really cold feet with spd's so much i'd almost be in tears in the shower
    i now use flats with some ultralight brasher gortex walking boots and thick socks – luverly

el_diablo
    Free Member

SUCCESS! Just been out for a night ride. The ground was frozen in places so I assume it was cold! My feet, however have reamianed toasty warm all night. I just need to learn to ride a bike properly again!

cookeaa
    Swiftacular
    Free Member

Sealskinz and 5-10's here. Riding spuds for too long makes my feet ache (probably down to poor setup).

nickc

TBH if you get cold feet, you'll get cold feet, as it's mostly about circulation. You can mitigate it a bit, but you're always going to get cold feet, sorry.

Wool is best, as it will stay warm even when wet. Layers are better (2 thin is better than 1 thick) try to find some socks with no compression, or limited compression around your ankles and the mid sole as this will restrict blood flow. Longer socks are better than short ones.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Update,

Still toasty warm 😆

even here

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Anyone else finding hiking boots and flats useful?

Drillski
    Free Member

just replaced my knackered out MW02's with new MW80's. cant believe how much better they are in terms of insulation. Fantastic!!! Much warmer, and more comfortable too.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

"wear a pair of thin (aldi) winter socks, shimano's mw80's winter boots( a size bigger than normal shoes) and overshoes and thats all i need to keep my feet warm and comfy"

MT Endura overshoes work well in the snow, but dont last long if your carrying a lot. 😥

As raddogair says,also warm up your winter shoes/boots in the car heater or at home before you ride,keeps the feet warm for ages 😉

Blacklug
    Free Member

SPD`s certainly do make for colder feet. With flat pedals you are moving your feet into position, so keeping the circulation going.

Marmoset
    Free Member

If my feet ar e coldd it's generally beccause my shoes are too tight – I tend to loosen them off in the really cold weather – Sealskinz in Sidi Dominator here (a shoe that lacks insulation in all areas) and it's only cold if the ratchets are up too tight.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

I'm now using SealSkinz Mid Thermal Merino socks inside Shimano MT91 boots. The beast combo I've ever used in both warmth & comfort.

dano
    Free Member

The best thing is wool or merino wool socks as they let your feet breath… sounds silly, but the man made polyester socks make you sweat , and then the sweat freezes and you get cold. Overshoes are also a must for this time of year with spd shoes…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Went out the other night, only down to about -1.5 C, but my normal summer shoes, 1 pr think socks, i pair seal skinz and pair of MT500 overshoes and 2.5hrs later STILL toasty, even i was surprised!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cold feet, do SPDs make it worse?’ is closed to new replies.