Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cold Ears…
  • stumpy01

…on the road bike.

Never really been a problem before on the mtb and whenever I’ve tried something to keep my head warm I always get too hot.

But I guess because of the increased wind chill, my ears were quite cold yesterday.

Any recommendations for one of those ear warmer bands that will sit under a helmet without being a bother and won’t cut out too much ambient noise, such as angry drivers revving their engines and tooting at me.

Seen a Lusso one that looks ok, but any others…?

matts
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gore one that has windstopper panels on the side and roubaix fabric at the back. The hem sometimes creates an interesting crown of thorns impression across my forehead – much to the amusement of my co-workers – but other than that it’s great.

BenjiM
    medoramas
    Free Member

Buff Merino or Sealskinz Belgian Cap for when it’s properly chilly.

hatter

Smart wool skullcap here, I’m such a sweaty beast that I quickly saturate any headgear so having one that stays warm when wet is pretty essential and merino fits the bill.

warpcow
    Free Member

+1 for a Buff if not too cold out, but… if you can see past the looks (and let’s face it, you’re probably already swathed in dayglo lycra), and don’t really need to keep the rest of your head warm: Earbags. Brilliantly warm little things that have little effect on ambient noise and don’t mess with the helmet.

stumpy01

Cheers.

The Gore one looks good (and would match my arm warmers 😳 ).

BenjiM – the buff ones cover your full head, don’t they? I have always found I get too hot when I’ve tried a buff in the past. I just want something to take the chill of my (somewhat sticky outy) ears.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Buff under the helmet for me + mack in a sack hood over the helmet if really cold.

tomd
    Free Member

Buffs are great for this. Cheap, versatile and come in all the colours of the rainbow.

stumpy01

Earbags! Not seen them before. Erm……I can see the advantage with them not interfering with the fit of a helmet. But, erm. Hmmm. I’m not sure!

Northwind

Don’t like a buff under the helmet myself. Decathlon do, or did, a very good windproof fleece earwarmer, I’ve got a couple of those but I couldn’t find them in store last time. Lusso one is almost as good. I’ve ended up cutting the top seam off most of mine so it sits better under a helmet, though I think that might be mostly a mountain bike lid thing.

stumpy01

Northwind – Member

Don’t like a buff under the helmet myself.

Yeah – I didn’t make it very clear in my OP, but I’ve always got too hot when I’ve covered my whole head…..just after something to keep my ears warm.

Gore or Lusso, then from the sounds of it. I would investigate Decathlon, but there isn’t one anywhere near me.

matts
    Free Member

Ooh. Going out in the buff sounds like it might be a bit chilly. 😆

stumpy01

😆

Cold ears would be the least of my worries!!

edward2000
    Free Member

I actually use a swimming hat, covers the ears nicely and doesn’t get too sweaty

stumpy01

edward2000 – Member

I actually use a swimming hat, covers the ears nicely and doesn’t get too sweaty

Like this:

TiRed

Polaris Cranium is an excellent fit on my head. There is a substantial reduction in sound conduction though. Buffs are fine too but not as warm.

BenjiM

The helmet buffs are more akin to a wide headband, so there’s a chimney at the top to let the heat out . They aren’t the usual buff material either, and are a bit thinner. They stop they wind chill rather than insulate. That’s why it’s marketed as a helmet specific Buff rather than using a regular Buff.

aP
    Free Member

I use an assos scull cap, it was warm enough for riding yesterday in 1-2C and sleety rain, but with enough breathability so that my head doesn’t cook too much.

johnnystorm

Gore Windstopper headband as above. Great bit of kit. Don’t really need insulation, just something to keep windchill under control. Good thing is it doesn’t bugger your hearing too much.

Properly cold today so I went for a thin balaclava. Not as good but face needed covering up too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cold Ears…’ is closed to new replies.