• This topic has 35 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by yunki.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cold and wet winter riding ensembles – tried and tested
  • Rubber-Duck

Now that the weather is on the turn, I am looking for some examples of tried and tested riding apparel combinations that STW members have found deliver the goods.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Don’t know how I ever got by without arm and leg warmers and now a lightweight gilet. All stuffable in pockets when you warm up and easily put back on for descents, stops or in drizzle.

takisawa2

Well I like my Endura overshoes with faithful old Spesh Trail 120 boots underneath.
    And Aldi gloves. Best £6 I’ve ever spent.

teasel
    Free Member

Love my Pearl Izumi AmFib bibs. Their nifty little pee hole and the built-in gaiter/stirrup are nice design features. They’re not waterproof but they keep you warm when wet.

I’ve given up trying to stay waterproof these days, instead opting for a tri sleeveless as a base if it’s really cold with a single layer full zip jersey, sometimes with a windproof front, with or without a layer in between the two depending on precise temperature and exertion level of the ride. It breathes and is warm when needed, which is more important to me than staying dry.

martinhutch

Do leg warmers work OK under baggies? And is water-repellancy worth having?

emac65
    Free Member

Just bought one of those “Funkier TPU Waterproof & Windproof”jacket’s off Merlin in the sale for £31.50(RRP is supposedly £70).Haven’t used it yet,but it appears to be well made,has two front pockets,one rear pockets & two internal pockets.Nice snug fit,which I was after instead of the usual flapping like a loose sail feel you get with most waterproof jackets.I’ll find out how it performs properly tomorrow after the CYB enduro,which is looking like it’s going to be a tad wet…

chrisdw
    Free Member

I’ve given up trying to stay waterproof these days

I have come to the same conclusion. With waterproof garments I end up just as wet from sweat as I would have been without, so I use insulating layers with a windproof on top.

L/S base layer, close fitting micro fleece and then the windproof in my bag if its needed. Can vary the thickness of the baselayer depending on how cold it is.

Merino socks and AM45 shoes on my feet. Gets a bit damp but stays warm. More than can be said for goretex boots.

Also have some dhb Roubaix bib tights for when its mega cold.

Just got some race face ambush shorts for a bit of extra weather protection.

Del

montane featherlite in pack. pullover version cos i bust the zip on the jacket version. goes over whatever combination of short sleeve tops i find appropriate when i set off.
    roubaix arm warmers. don’t really soak up water and keep bare arms covered under the featherlite if it’s wet.
    when it gets into to the lower single figures hagloffs boa jacket breaths well enough, is waterproof enough, stretches so is not restrictive, sleeves push up arms easy, has a high collar i can hide behind, and has enough openings/vents, to be worn all ride. even has a hood that will go over a lid if really required. brilliant bit of kit.
    shimano waterproof boots ( mt 91 and the later ones – 92? that look like hiking boots ) + gore waterproof socks. i really don’t like cold wet feet.
    windproof spesh gloves with liners provide versatility.
    buff.

ninfan
    Free Member

GolfChick
    Free Member

I look forward to winter so I can crack back out the full length bib, so nice to be able to peel it off and still be warm/dry and mud free underneath!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Oh and a mudhugger rear mudguard so I dont experience the sinking sensation when I approach the first big puddle of water in the forest, I dont bother dodging the puddles now as I dont need to!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Northwave Artic boots

are we talking mtb or commuting too?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Been sorting out winter wear for a few years trying and testing. The look isnt great but its function over form for me!
    Begining of this year did my 50 mile new year ride 3rd January Lake district, pretty cold wet day ground conditions very wet muddy etc.

Top half
    Merino base layer. (always carry another to change at half way / lunch to feel dry)
    Primaloft vest insulates when damp. Better than down in this case.
    Mountain equipment firefox goretex jacket. Light pretty breathable.

Winter gloves, probably Aldi!

Lower half

Light ish shorts or cheap bibs, with Police issue goretex over trousers on top. Very water proof and long enough to go over boot tops.
    Feet Northwave artic boots with above trousers the water doesnt run down your legs and fill your boots.
    50 miles latter…..warm dry feet 🙂

Always have a buff, spare top and spare gloves.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I really struggle when it’s cold, especially fingers, so my tried and tested solutions are:

Top:
    Buff or skullcap, depending on the temp. Buff is worn year round anyway to catch the sweat.

Middle:
    MEC (Canadian) merino wool base layer, windproof or waterproof top according to the weather. I do love my Gore Goretex top. It’s a road bike waterproof, so fairly fitted with only one pocket, but perfect for me. Bit spendy though.

Bottom:
    I swear by some MEC (Canadian again, sorry) tights that are pretty waterproof on the front and very breathable on the back. Works really well. Use just thermal tights when it’s cold but not wet.

Extremities:
    Sealskin socks work for me, and either Pearl Izumi windproof or Altura waterproof thermal gloves (which are very warm). Liners if it’s Baltic out.

Northwind

Altura attack shorts (the 3/4s keep you drier but I don’t like them, I just wear the shorts and deal with the wee bit of extra splash)
    Altura Attach jacket also- though any decent solid jacket’ll do. Don’t often have to wear more than a baselayer under this.
    Kneepads- kneewarmers 😉 Plus you crash more when it’s wet
    Sealskinz long socks- the short ones are less useful. THin merino socks under
    Buff sometimes round the neck, though offroad I don’t often feel the need. Decathlon earwarmer thing for sub zero.

Gloves- Fox Antifreeze unless it’s cold and wet, at which point, Perfect Curve Glacier Gloves.

Flat shoes are still a bummer, my Sombrio X-Shazams are the closest thing I’ve found to a winter flat shoe, they’re not perfect though.

ontor
    Free Member

Ride harder, eat more 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

A year or two ago I bought a Berghaus softshell (storm iirc)which had a very thin fluffy inner, it was showerproof and bloomin lovely. It was a technical fit not bike specific so only cost £55 , still going strong now. Prior to this I just layered up and wore waterproof jackets/windproof jackets, the Berghaus does both with a lot less clamminess on the inside. Love it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yo Ed! Raining down there too is it?

Altura Attack 3/4 waterproof shorts have lasted me well and do the job. Don’t use ’em with a saddle that’s got raised stitching though.

Endura Stealth jacket is excellent for cold and wet or cold and dry rides – not too breathable but has huge pit zips. It’s a proper waterproof softshell. Slim-ish fit though, not sure if you’d get them shoulders of yours in one.

On One do bundles of three pairs thick merino socks for £10 or less. The odd one goes through at the heel but they’re generally a good bet.

Rubber-Duck

Yep raining here 😆 Stace

MTB or commuting combos, anything that works to keep you warm and comfy!

Leggings or full length leg warmers defo work well under baggies Martinhutch! IMO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

From the bottom up:

Northwave artic boots with the fleacy lining, and normal coolmax socks.

DHB Roubaix tights, or 3/4’ers depending on how cold it is.

Altura Waterproof shorts, I’m not a fan of 3/4 shorts, so prefer the bibs and normal shorts.

Nike ‘pro combat’ baselayers, cheap, available in sleaveless, SS and LS versions depending how cold it is.

Endura FS-260 Jetstream long sleve tops. The best winter jersey by a country mile, windproof on the front of the torso/arms, fleacy neck, vented sides, roubaix back pannel. Works well on the commute too, warm enough on <5C mornings, without being boiling at 18C in the evening it’s so good at regulating temperature.

Aldi softshell washed in nikwax for rainy rides in the woods, or really cold days, it soaks through if you go out in the open, but it keeps out a passing shower or if you stay in the shelter of the trees.

I usually try and wash all my bibs and tops in nikwax TX, then try and keep it for wet days, it does an alright job, although there is a specific softshell wash which would probably do a better job for roubaix/softshells.

ampthill

I have some wind proof fleece bib longs. I think they are incredible

I find my Paramo jacket is not as water proof as it was but still avery good compromise as it breaths so well and dries fast

mikey74
    Free Member

I like my Endura Thermolite tights on the roadie; baggies with knee pads on the mtb.

Feet: Five Tens with DeFeet Woolie Boolies: My feet may get wet, but not cold.

Canterbury Cold baselayers are pretty good under standard riding tops.

MrNice
    Free Member

I recently got a castelli gabba softshell jersey in a sale. Even in the sale it wasn’t cheap but it’s fantastic. A small amount of water beads on the surface – after that you get wet but stay warm. I really want a long sleeve one but it’s even more expensive…

Also a fan of the endura jersey mentioned by thisisnotaspoon for dry conditions.

Suggsey
    Free Member

For honking wet days Altura attack full length trousers paired with Lake 303 boots and Pace 3×3 jacket with Paramo Cambia long sleeve base layer.
    For on and off wet days altura 3/4s with Shimano AM45 shoes and either same jacket or montane feather lite velo, dries real fast.
    For the grounds wet days normal shorts or Altura attack shorts……….can you tell I have kit for every occasion. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nothing works in serious rain IME this would do for a 3- 5 hour ride in torrential rain.

Boots _ lake MX – brilliant waterproof – rarely leak – power shower levels of rain – when it does the water does not drain out so proper grim

Wooly booleys warm when wet so I prefer to Snakeskins

Dry suit cuff to cover Lakes neopren [ WHY OH WHY PUT SOMETHING NOT WATERPROOF ON THEM ?] and connect to Stealth

Stealth trousers full length – waterproof but can be a wee bit cold- the lites iirc – not bibs – dont like bibs personally.

Waterproof shorts – the arse went on my Stealth [ 4 maybe 5 years old now] some time ago and this seems to get the worst

Top – varies from Stealth – needs to be cold IME . Aldi softshell – when not as cold a thin and a thick one – attack if just pissing it down and not to cold – Gillet if just a bit mleh
    IME you are often deciding whether wet with sweat is worse than wet with rain for the top half but i hate the bottom half being wet

Aldi gloves and a spare set for when they get damp from lack of breathability

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

a nice shiny black rubber knicker and bra combo with some matching slingbacks and a ballgag for effect (with a hole to breath of course) oh and a wooly hat …. the rest of you should MTFU 😆

teasel
    Free Member

I have the Stealth stuff – jacket and troos – the lower stuff let in water on the second ride. Admittedly it was from the arse area and more than likely due to the colonic irrigation from the rear wheel spray but they were fine otherwise. Problem is they’re just too hot and they tend to ride up due to a lack of stirrup but I guess that wouldn’t be an issue with over shoes. The jacket as mentioned above has pit zips and massive side vents (which are pointless in a downpour). The pits work well but it’s still a boil in the bag at anything above zero IME. Can’t complain – mine’s lasted 6 or 8 years now; can’t remember exactly when I bought it.

The reason I didn’t name my upper stuff these days is because it’s 11 years old. Spesh still make something similar but it’s a lot more money, obviously. ( I got mine for £25 each in a sale – bargain!)

Something like this…

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/RS13-Winter-Partial-Gore-WS-Jacket-AW13/2MMA?wmp=675

or this, though windproof in my case…

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/Authentic-Team-Long-Sleeve-Jersey-AW14/4V3H?wmp=675

…with or with out base layers is fine in all but really heavy rain. And as mentioned, these…

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/pearl_izumi_mens_elite_amfib_cycling_bib_tight_with_pad-ID_56910

are one of my favourite bits of cycling kit. Sidi Diablo’s on the feet with some Spesh windproof gloves to finish.

Warm and breathable. Perfect for me.

aa
    Free Member

For me, gore phantom top mostly takes care of the upper body. Water wets through in prolonged rain tho.
    Woolie boolies as mentioned above keep you warm when wet.
    3/4’s by endura, whatevers not in the wash basket and leggings.

The aldi gloves were a bit of a revelation, theyre not the most waterproof, by far the most dextrous but, heck, they warm.

Rubber-Duck

Are the Aldi gloves a current product line or is it one of those special promotions I need to look out for?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

The aldi gloves are a yearly promo and in stock now at aldi

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Aldi winter gloves are good value,four of us out today in the rain & 3 of us were wearing them.
    My favourite piece of kit is a Ground Effect Submerino long sleeve base layer, and I’ve only heard good things from other users.The other winter/rainy day essential that I have is my Shimano winter boots,had them for years never leak but I can’t remember the model code.

ton

is it only me who finds most cycling winter gear pretty rubbish?
    i use normal outdoor clothing for winter riding.
    Rab softshell trousers or Hagloffs softshell trousers.
    Northface summit series base layer.
    Northface apex softshell jacket.
    Decathlon stretch waterproof jacket (aparnez 300).
    kneelength sealskins.
    5/10 Sam Hills this winter to see how they go, 5/10 exum guides for the last 5 winters without once getting cold feet.
    and some nice warm Marmott gloves.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Castelli Espresso jacket is the best piece of kit i ever bought for winter:

No need for a base layer unless it is sub-zero + windchill. I either pair it with full bib tights or shorts, with the option of leg warmers too.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Royal waterproof jeans. Epic.

ontor
    Free Member

Buffalo mountainshirt I it’s properly cold, techlite top if its cold and wet. Softshell if drizzly, montane if its weeing down.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m liking the recommendations for altura attack 3/4s.. I’ve never really bothered too much with wet weather gear, mostly using the ‘ride harder’ approach with a goretex paclite jacket for really torrential rain..
    I’ve splashed out on the altura 3/4s this year though (£45 online somewhere) cos the school run doesn’t necessarily allow for the ‘ride harder’ approach..
    I’ve got bib tights and armwarmers for the really cold months, with sealskinz gloves and that kona merino jersey from a couple years back if it gets baltic

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cold and wet winter riding ensembles – tried and tested’ is closed to new replies.