Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Colchester …. Things to do/see?
  • letmetalktomark

May take an excursion by train on Thursday with LMTTM Junior to Colchester.

Much to see and do there?

brooess
    Free Member

My godsons loved the zoo – they were c 2 and 4 at the time IIRC

hammerite
    Free Member
    willard

The zoo,
    The castle,

The military prison?

andypaul99
    Free Member

forget the castle its closed for a re-furb. the zoo is well worth it though

captaindanger

Shame about the castle, that’s pretty good (or was 15-20 yrs ago when I last went)

loum
    Free Member

Zoo’s good, especially for kids, but it’s on the opposite side (and a bit outside) of town to the train station. Not sure which bus either, sorry.

retro83
    Free Member

If you go to the zoo, download their Android/iBag app and check the times for the animal feeds.
    The best ones to see are the giraffe & elephant (same location) as you can hand food to them directly and the humboltd penguins as there is no barrier. The wolves, lions and the tigers are also interesting to watch. The monkey/ape ones are a bit dull IMHO.

plyphon
    Free Member

Went to the zoo this weekend just gone, was great fun.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Bus to Mersea Island?

footflaps

Did a weeks field trip there when I was at Junior school, so about 35 years ago! Constable country, so you can go and see the real Haywain. Also loads of Roman fort remains etc.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteus to Mersea Island?[/quote]

You need a passport to cross to mersea island, at least the residents like to think that way 😉

You can get to the zoo by bus but need to get one into town first, best bet would be to change trains at Colchester north station (the main station) and get the shuttle train into colhester town (st botolphs) from the town station turn right and walk down head street about 400 meters to the main bus station. From there you can get as bus to the zoo.

Sandwich

Order a meal and do a runner in Dedham, for extra excitement!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

as i live in collie the zoo pretty good (as others have said it is a bit out of town about a 10min bus journey) a bit hilly and you need all day to really fit it all in(ie 8:00am to 17:30pm and iam not kidding)if you do go to the zoo catch the zoo”train” takes you to the walk through lemur enclosure thats relly cool.
    also the castle park is a ggod town centre spot castle good to walk round got a good playground in it and a museum to the side of it(hollytrees) its where twinkle twinkle little star was written.
    town centre good for shopping and pleanty of family pubs to eat in just to one side of town is balkene gate which is a roman town gate that you can walk through and along thee ajoining roman wall,and that without a bike if your bringing a bike well that a whole other story 😀

retro83
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member

Order a meal and do a runner ROW LIKE THE CLAPPERS in Dedham, for extra excitement!

FTFY

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Everyone has said it… but the Zoo really is very good.

Especially the underwater Sea Lion tunnel that leads to the Orangutan enclosure.

Oh… Wrap up warm, there always seems to be a chilly wind blowing across the zoo.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Sitting in my office (outskirts of said town), we’ve had a thorough examination of the possibilities for you, and the considered opinion is would recommend you went somewhere else.

letmetalktomark

Berm Bandit – Member

Sitting in my office (outskirts of said town), we’ve had a thorough examination of the possibilities for you, and the considered opinion is would recommend you went somewhere else.

😆

Thanks all.

May park this as the Zoo looks a good option but I may wait until the weather is a little warmer.

Thank you again.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Colchester …. Things to do/see?’ is closed to new replies.