Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • coil spring question
  • juiced
    Free Member

What’s the difference between a 2.5 stroke spring and a 2.25 stroke spring. Got one of each from the same manufacturer with different weight ratings and they are both the same length. Is the difference the rate at which they compress? ie not because of the weight ratings but the 2.25 and 2.25 part.

Pls bear with me i am new to this ‘art of the coil spring’ business

If so is it ok to run a 2.5 on a 2.25 shock. It fits ok in terms of length and diameter.
    Cheers.
    I will check back in the morning. 😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

If so is it ok to run a 2.5 on a 2.25 shock. It fits ok in terms of length and diameter.

If your shock stroke is 2.25 then so long as it physically fits beneath the preload adjuster with thread remaining, a 2.5 spring should be fine. There’s some useful info on the CRC site – here.

Onzadog
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding patronising, are you sure the 2.25 and 2.50 are stroke lengths and not spring rates? Although low spring rates, both do exist.

If it is stroke length, you just need to be sure that the stroke length is longer than the stroke of your shock. So both of those would work with a 2″ stroke shock but I’d only happy running the 2.50 if the shock was a 2.25″ stroke. The other thing to make sure is that the free length of the spring will fit the shock, although if you have them both the you’ll find out soon enough.

Just to make matters more confusing than they need to be, fox table their springs with the actual stroke it will work with which is how you get odd looking numbers like 2.57 on the spring where as nukeproof and others put the shock stroke it will take so contrary to what I said above, if it’s a nukeproof spring, the xxx x 2.25 will work fine on a 2.25″ or shorter shock.

HTH

sailor74
    Free Member

Fox mark springs by quoting the maximum travel the spring will go to before it becomes coil-bound therefore a 2.35 will be fine for a 2″ stroke. Other manufacturers just quote the free length of the spring.

Not all manufacturers springs are interchangeable either due to the internal diameter so its best to check compatibility first.

The weight rating eg 450lbs refers to the weight required to compress the spring 1 inch. Yours are different weights which means the spring coil gaps will be narrower for the heavier weighted one if they are the same overall length, therefore it will have less space to compress before becoming coil bound hence the smaller number.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks everyone thats great.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘coil spring question’ is closed to new replies.