Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Coffee machine v Nespresso – the final word
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I finally tried a Nespresso coffee at the weekend.

I had a cappuccino.

It was utterly revolting – coffee that didn’t really taste of coffee, overly sweet and ‘thin’. Basically it just tasted like vending machine coffee and not very good vending machine coffee at that.

So there.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cappuccino? There is your problem.

BigJohn

Well that’s that then.

mefty
    Free Member

the final word

I thought this was reserved for someone else.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cappuccino? There is your problem.

Aye but it is my favoured drink and I can make a much better one with my Gaggia Classic. In fact bad ones I make are superior to the Nespresso I had on Saturday.

To be honest I was really disappointed – after all I had heard about them I expected to be impressed (and even a little bit tempted to get one myself for convenience) but no way – it was horrible.

mintimperial

Cappuchino isn’t coffee, it’s a hot milkshake with a hint of coffee flavouring.

You’re right though, those Nespresso things are crap.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it’s a hot milkshake with a hint of coffee flavouring.

Shirley that’s a latte?

I do occasionally have espressos too but judging by the efforts at making a cappuccino I don’t think I want to try an espresso from one.

tinman66
    Free Member

You being a coffee connoisseur obviously.

peterfile
    Free Member

The only thing that may be added to an espresso is more hot water.

Good filter is also acceptable (and often better than the cack some places churn out of their espresso machines)

/the final word

😉

FuzzyWuzzy

I either have a double espresso or a latte depending on my mood, both taste nice (when done right) and my head isn’t up my own backside about how much I know about coffee :p

vinnyeh

m_f what coffee do you use- seem to remember you posting it once?
    I was given a Gaggia Classic at Christmas but the only coffee that seems to work ok in it is the bloody expensive Illy Black- Illy Red and the supermarket grind I’ve tried just run through too quickly to produce a decent cup.

I know I should be grinding my own etc etc but I’m not interested. 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Today my machine and grinder arrive. I expect to be a bit buzzed later.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a Classic and a Dualit burr grinder. On it’s finest setting and by tamping nice and hard I have managed to get a good slow flow and achieve a good crema (although I did struggle for a while to get the perfect combination of hopper size, grind etc).

mintimperial

Shirley that’s a latte

Sorry, yes, you are in fact quite right. Being a massive overbearing snob I find that I get all these horrible milk-based coffee-style-beverage abominations mixed up. 😉

I have actually had an espresso type thing from a Nespresso. We stayed in a holiday house with one in the kitchen. Once I’d figured out which of the stupid little multicoloured pods contained something approximating a proper coffee I thought I’d best try it, for research purposes, you understand. It was ok, actually, not great but not bad either. If you’re criminally lazy I suppose it’s a simple way to make consistently alright coffee. Horribly, horribly wasteful and expensive though, and the idea of having to buy coffee off of Nestle for ever and ever makes me very uneasy. Can you get 3rd party pods or anything?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That’s another thing – I assumed I just had to put in a cappuccino pod in and press a button to make a coffee but no – I had to put in the coffee pod then a milk one too.

So two little bits of plastic to go running off killing polar bears and puncturing holes in the ozone layer just for half a cup of cappuccino.

andytherocketeer

Seems all the stores here are no longer selling anything that takes loose coffee or beans at reasonable prices 🙁 Or at least have a very limited range.
    It’s either filter machines, nespresso machines (grrr @ patent encumbered track your entire coffee usage online nonsense, where you can’t just buy the stuff in the supermarket), or mega expensive massive bean to cup top of the range machines.

TooTall
    Free Member

I know I should be grinding my own etc etc but I’m not interested.

then find someone to grind for espresso when you buy it or be forever condemned to doing half a job and end up buying a bloody nespresso

monkeyp

we have a Dolce Gusto machine and agree that anything that involves a ‘milk’ cartridge is foul. But the Americano, Lungo and espresso pods are pretty good. The problem is that for some reason they sweeten the milk pods and (of course) they use powdered milk which is ALWAYS going to ruin any drink.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That might be the problem then (it certainly makes sense) – next time I am at my brother’s I shall try an espresso.

wwaswas

That’s another thing – I assumed I just had to put in a cappuccino pod in and press a button to make a coffee but no – I had to put in the coffee pod then a milk one too.

errm, that wasn’t a Nespresso.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Possibly not – it was a pod machine though (I lazily guessed at Nespresso)

molgrips
    Free Member

MF you are a pillock sometimes. You put in a pod of powdered frothing milk substitute and expected a quality cappucino? Don’t be silly. At the very least heat and froth real milk, it’s easy as anything.

As for Nespresso – those are the ones you have to order online, aren’t they? The coffee is ok, really. Better than poor or stale coffee made in an espresso machine – or even good fresh coffee brewed badly. And this is where they win I reckon.

If I go to an office that has one, I consider it a result.

I had to put in the coffee pod then a milk one too.

errm, that wasn’t a Nespresso.

Actually, yes he’s right – sounds like Tassimo to me. Again these can be decent enough depending on what’s in the pod.

zilog6128

FAIL

Nespresso actually makes a very reasonable, consistant and quick espresso.

EDIT ^^^^ too slow!!

wwaswas

m_f – try a real nespresso (one of the stronger blends – a 9 or 10 strength) with the real milk frother thing that real Nespresso machines come with and report back.

Tassimo and fake milk isn’t the same, really.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tassimo?

Could be.

But I made it as a scientific experiment under tightly-regulated conditions whilst waiting for a taxi to whisk me out for my brother’s 40th birthday beers and curry. I wasn’t allowed to use real milk.

simon_g

As said, Nespresso most definitely do *not* do milk pods, and theirs are (recyclable) aluminium, not plastic.

Sounds like Dolce Gusto to me, they’re the only one I can think of who do milk pods, and given they’re a Nescafe brand I’m not surprised they taste like instant.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So are Nespresso made by Nescafe too or do they just have a similar sounding brand?

zilog6128

m_f – try a real nespresso (one of the stronger blends – a 9 or 10 strength)

They are doing a “limited edition” 12 strength at the moment! Mine arrived at work today, will try one out later!

So are Nespresso made by Nescafe too or do they just have a similar sounding brand?

Obviously both brands are owned by Nestlé but other than that they are totally seperate companies AFAIK. It isn’t Nescafé coffee in the Nespresso pods if that’s what you are asking.

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

I have a Nespresso machine, I like coffee but can’t be arsed with the grinding, compacting, cleaning that is involved with a “real” coffee machine.

Nespresso are owned by Nestle….unforntunately

To the OP – sounds like you had a Tassimo or Dolce Gusto both of which are pretty crap, much like your thread title.

jota180
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUpY1BT9Xf4[/video]

Mackem

Does anyone use the reusable pods? Tempted with one of these machines for the lack of faff, but it’s pretty pricey coffee if you use the single-shot pods.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Basic fact FAIL 🙂 😉

I have used a Nespresso for several years and it makes very acceptable coffee. I am the only coffee drinker in my house so I get a nice fresh coffee every time without wasting half a packet of stale coffee. Nespresso also collect & recycle the used pods f.o.c.

wwaswas

Mackem there was a thread about this a week or two back. From what I saw a ‘decent’ espresso blend would cost 30p a shot anyway. Then you have £15 for the actual pod too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Basic fact FAIL

I know – I did admit I was lazy in guessing the brand and had clearly wrongly assumed they were all equally awful.

If I could go back and change the title I would but alas no…

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’m sure you can be forgiven—

BigJohn

I drove a Ferrari F40 at the weekend. It was rubbish.

I think it was an F40, but the badge said Rover 25.

scotia
    Free Member

ha! wow..thats just like saying:

i rode an IF titanium deluxe – boy they are all crap….

oops it was a halfords special, sorry i couldnt be arsed to look up the real manufacturer and i thought it would all be the same anyways..

andytherocketeer

Does anyone use the reusable pods?

The reusable pods make the faff no different to using a scoop of real coffee in a normal coffee machine coffee holder.

The nespresso “reusable” (haha!) pods are only like 2-3 uses max, and you have to replace a foil disc each use too. So instead of ordering nespresso capsules online, you order blank nespresso compatible holders online and buy any coffee you like. At least that was the case for the ones I saw.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Coffee machine v Nespresso – the final word’ is closed to new replies.